View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
mellowyellow2000

Boxtaboy the answers to your two questions are:

Does the muffler hang below the rear bumper? Depends on where you are viewing the rear of the car from. If I get down on my hands and knees, I can see the bottom couple inches of the muffler. Standing behind the car, all I see are the exhaust tips. The picture you posted shows the car on a lift. The picture was taken at an angle looking up at the muffler. I was on the freeway a couple of days ago and was passed by two 986 Boxsters. Both appeared to have stock mufflers or aftermarket ones like Dansk. On both cars, I could see the bottom half of the mufflers. I made it a point to look at back of both cars because of all of the posts about the FabSpeed muffler hanging too low.

Do I notice the drone with the top up. Don't know. The car is only driven in good weather with the top down. If the drone is noticable with the top up, for the few times it is driven that way I can live with it. If your Boxster is your daily driver, I would suggest trying to find a car in your area that has the FabSpeed system installed and asking the owner to take you for a ride with the top up.

FabSpeed makes two different systems. One is a single can muffler for the 986. For 2000 - 2004 cars the 986 system also has two resonators. The other system is for the 987. It has two muffler cans that tuck up into the same location as the factory mufflers and no resonators. Both systems eliminate the secondary cats.

The real plus for me is that the car is now easier for me to drive. The previous owner had installed a Dansk sport muffler. Even it was way too quiet. With the FabSpeed system I can now hear the exhaust note and can judge when to shift much better. These cars have little or no engine vibration, no intake noise and no exhaust noise. For an old guy like me that learned when to shift by engine vibration and exhaust note, I was having problems learning the tricks to driving this car.
B&M Short Shifter
EVO Billet Shift Linkage
Fabspeed Cat Back Exhaust
Iebach Spring Kit
Goodridge Braided Stainless Steel Brake lines
18" BBS Classix Wheels..Fuch's replica
Aluminum Pedal Kit
mellowyellow2000 is offline   Reply With Quote