Thread: Custom Exhaust
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's my car?
Don't i need my CATS to pass california smog tests though??!!
I think by resonators, he means sticking drag pipe inserts into the tips of your muffler to help drown out the drone. The factory exhaust is designed to be rid of any annoying resonance drone that you are experiencing inside the cabin. Your aftermarket setup is not designed specifically for the Boxster, and probably utilizes two separate universal fit muffler cans welded together with a crossbar. These might sound nice on the outside, but will give you really bad interior drone that will drive you batty after long drives, give you headaches, or worse, even hearing loss after extended use.

The only sports exhausts I know of that don't give you that annoying interior resonance are the factory Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE), the Dansk Pressed Sport exhausts (as these are made in the same shape/design as the factory mufflers), or the DIY modified factory exhausts made by welding bypass pipes connecting the muffler inpipe to the tips. All other sports exhaust have some sort of interior cabin resonance, but many live with it by keeping the revs of the engine higher in the rev range where the drone is not noticeable.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote