Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Video Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #1

Chuckwalla

Here's a clip of 2 random laps in my car for last weekend's event at CVR.
Had a great day on Saturday, but I had to bug out after the 3rd session to get back to Phoenix for a concert that evening. Thanks Tage for organizing a nice weekend at Chucky with our friends from SoCal.

I still am leaving some time on the table, mainly early braking and just not flat out pushing it to the full limit Was happy with a 2:09.

https://youtu.be/h5SRDvyQPnY

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Dood! Looks awesome!
You've got a nice line through that whole place. I don't know the track at all, but I feel like I could get around there okay, after watching your lines.
Tell me about the two round-dial gauges on the center dash?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #3

Garage
That was cool! I like all the data displayed on the screen.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Dood! Looks awesome!
You've got a nice line through that whole place. I don't know the track at all, but I feel like I could get around there okay, after watching your lines.
Tell me about the two round-dial gauges on the center dash?

Hey thanks.
Chuckwalla is probably my favorite track. I've done it quite a few times now, so I feel I am getting better. There is still tons I could do to improve though...

The center gauge cluster is something that I custom built 2 years ago. It is installed where the cup holder unit was. The left gauge is the Oil Temp, the right gauge is the Oil Pressure. For temp, I use a VDO sender installed in the left rear valve cover plug location and a VDO gauge. For the pressure, I installed a Tee where the OEM oil pressure switch is located (right front valve cover) so the existing pressure switch still works, and I taped in with a VDO oil pressure sender. I also use a VDO gauge for that. I also installed a Fan switch and 2 switches related to my Accusump setup (ON/OFF and Bypass Mode ON). I have schematics for all this as well as wiring diagrams, Part Numbers if you're interested.

And I'd love to drive up to Utah this summer for PCA HPDE. Do they run during the summer?
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 02-24-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Edit:
Old 02-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
And I'd love to drive up to Utah this summer for PCA HPDE. Do they run during the summer?
Yup, only in summer.
C'mon up! Dinner's on me! ;-)

I don't know if the intermountain region of the PCA has the schedule posted a full schedule yet, but they've got several events on their calendar.

http://irpca.org/track-events
East track has more elevation, west track is faster and, in my opinion, more of a driver's skill track. Full track is just plain wicked-fun.... cuz you get it ALL. Outer loop is the fastest configuration, but it skips some of the fun-stuff.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:26 AM   #6

That looked fast! Do you ever watch your older videos from when you were first starting out, or your first time at a track and marvel at the differences?

Also I don't think I saw the accusump fire off any during that video, was it cool outside? Because you were going faster than previous times when I do recall it going off.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Chuckie is my favorite track as well. Our PCA club in San Diego does it 3 times a year.

Nice times
What tires are you running?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

Removed comment due to being on wrong thread
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
That looked fast! Do you ever watch your older videos from when you were first starting out, or your first time at a track and marvel at the differences?

Also I don't think I saw the accusump fire off any during that video, was it cool outside? Because you were going faster than previous times when I do recall it going off.
Steve, I run the Accusump in Bypass mode exclusively now, so it is essentially always open, but I can still shut is off remotely. I have found that to be very effective. Virtually zero pressure dips. The cool weather certainly helps to keep the oil a little cooler...

Yes I do watch the older vids occasionally and this year I have progressed well in DE4. I feel the Sparco track seats and 6 point harnesses really helped in controlling the car and focusing on driving technique.

Last edited by AZ986S; 02-25-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Chuckie is my favorite track as well. Our PCA club in San Diego does it 3 times a year.

Nice times
What tires are you running?
JayG, I run Federal RSR 595 tires. They really surprise me, even though they are a 200 TW (they used to be a 140 TW I believe). The nice thing is that they are super cheap and I can burn a few sets without hitting my wallet too hard... During this summer off season, I'll probably either put in front camber plates, on just take the plunge and put in adjustable coilovers since I can't get enough neg camber in the front (car tends to understeer). I wanted to go to Chucky with PCA San Diego last year, just wasn't able to. Maybe this spring?

Last edited by AZ986S; 02-25-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #11
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
JayG, I run Federal RSR 595 tires. They really surprise me, even though they are a 200 TW (they used to be a 140 TW I believe). The nice thing is that they are super cheap and I can burn a few sets without hitting my wallet too hard... During this summer off season, I'll probably either put in front camber plates, on just take the plunge and put in adjustable coilovers since I can't get enough neg camber in the front (car tends to understeer). I wanted to go to Chucky with PCA San Diego last year, just wasn't able to. Maybe this spring?
We have great events. You need to sign up as soon as registration opens as Chuckwalla always sells out. Our next Chuckwalla event is April 26/27 and registration opens Mar 16 at 9:00 am on MotorsportsReg.com You also need to class you car before you register as you will need some of the info to complete registration.
To class your car go to :Home Page
the registration kink is not up yet

How do the RSR 595's compare to Re-71's?
I have been running Hankook R-S4 for practice and Re-71's for timed runs until last weekend where I switched toNitto Nt-01's Did a weekend at Streets of Willow with my son and we were doing back to back sessions and they were great. I like them better than RE-71's
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 02-27-2019 at 05:26 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #12
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Check this out:
High Performance Drivers Education – West and East Track

That's a Friday / Saturday, with the East and West, so you get the best of both!

I'm just sayin'...... :dance:
Old 02-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Check this out:
High Performance Drivers Education – West and East Track

That's a Friday / Saturday, with the East and West, so you get the best of both!

I'm just sayin'...... :dance:
Ha looks like fun... There's another one on May 31-June 1, might be up for that one.
That's a 13 hour drive, so might be able to do it in one long day
But hey, I did COTA and that was 1,000 miles....