Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Video Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #1

My first autocross

My friend convinced me to do an autocross event this weekend. This was my first time ever. I must say, it was quite fun. My times weren't the greatest, but that did not matter to me. My friend’s 996 was out of commission for yesterdays event, so I let him run my car in his class so he could get his points. There were only 2 others in his class, a 996 and a GT3. He was keeping up with both of them until the last run where the GT3 beat him by .4 seconds. I will say that the GT3 should have smoked him, but in this event it came down to the driver. My friend has been racing for awhile so that worked in his favor. Was nice to see a Boxster beat a 996

Since I had put the strut tower braces in my car, I had to run in the prepared class and not the stock class. Well, my car has no other mods done to it so I was at a disadvantage. Everyone in my class was running R compound tires, suspension, and other mods. I was running on 19s. Oh well.

Here is a short video of my second run in which I had an instructor with me. Not my fastest run, but I learned a lot in this run which made my following runs almost 7 seconds faster.

Enjoy

http://media.putfile.com/First-Autocross

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #2

Nice job David. Autocross is fun and addictive!
Looks like a really nice site too, I'm guessing an airport.
Lose the strut bars and run in stock class

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #3

The event was at an old airport. There was plently of room for everyone there.

I thought about removing the bars and running in stock, then I thought that I would rather add more things to the car and stay in the prepared class. I bought the bars to help reduce the rattles in the car, and they did just that. I am looking at adding the PSS9s to the car as well as some upgraded sway bars. R compound tires will also be somewhere in the future.

Thanks,
David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 06-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #4

Great Video....Looks like a lot of fun!

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #5

What a blast huh?

You must be out of the Seattle area. I heard them mention the 944 sponsored by "Fordahl". Greg Fordahl is the man to go to for the suspension stuff. He has won multiple SCCA AutoX National Titles in a mid engine Porsche. Nevermind that he has been a ALMS crew Chief for Alex Job for something like 6 years now. First class shop. First class operation. He is right behind the Porsche dealership down the street from Microsoft.

I have two close friend who have worked for him in the past (Betim and Joey) I worked on the Fordahl crew for the Thunderhill 25hr race back in Dec. of 04 when they ran Kim Hinsky's RSR with Randy Pobst (and won)

You are now addicted. You will need regular visits to the course.

Welcome

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #6

Hey Brad, Fordahl is definitely where I was planning on going. In fact, I called them today to discuss my car and get some quotes. Looks like the PSS9s installed with corner balance and alignment will run just under $3k. I will be doing the sway bars at the same time as well. Since there are already going to be setting up the car, I might as well have everything done right the first time.

They said that they are currently working on 2 cars with the Moton kits. Not sure if I can justify a $6k suspension to my wife. Not sure if I can justify it to myself. At least not of this car.

The addiction has begun. Now I want some tires and a trailer to take to the events.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #7

You will have more fun that you ever thought humanly possible!

The smiles per hour factor will increase by ten when you drive a well balanced professionally prepared car (even on PSS9's) and sticky tires.

Setup properly, the Boxster is a oversized go kart. Greg will make it turn in with a flick of the wrist on the steering wheel. It will end up somewhat "darty" on the highway and it will want to follow grooves, but it will be well worth it.

Let Greg know that Tarret engineering now has 4 way adjustable rear sway bars that compliment the 5 way adjustable GT3 bar most of us use in the front of a Boxster. Tarret also had drop links that are stronger than what Porsche Motorsports offers!

He knows Ira. He just may not know about the new products.

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote