Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Video Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #1

My first time doing some donuts in my S

it's my first timer, what do you guys think?

http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=12SPJZFYOU8RG21BKE7O7MC8PQ

Ricksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #2

Umm... a waste of a good Porsche?

Find a good road with some sweeping curves, enjoy the handling, and leave the donuts to something with more HP than handling. :-)

Jack
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Lux

The videography (at the beginning) looked great. The donuts didn't look so great. You need more room so you can spin a decent sized donut (and at least 360 degrees) without worrying about hopping a curb.

It's only a waste of a Porsche if you spin weak donuts.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #4

sad...........
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #5

donuts are fun especially in the rain. i drive my boxster like i stole it, and when it breaks i'm going to trade it in for a 911 or a newer boxster (if my wife lets me).
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:07 AM   #6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
donuts are fun especially in the rain. i drive my boxster like i stole it, and when it breaks i'm going to trade it in for a 911 or a newer boxster (if my wife lets me).
No offense but how much do you think you will get for your trade in when you hand them a "broke" car?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:33 AM   #7

Wink

well, a broke car is a broke car, whatever it's work broke... a dealer will take anything if they want to sell a car. then with the new car i'll drive it like i stole it...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #8

On Houston TV news reports, I see video of guys in stolen cars that are driving like complete idiots and damaging the car they are driving without any care or concern whatsoever.

If this is what you mean, you have more money (or probably the credit to buy expensive cars) than good common sense! I just hope your wife is sharp enough to see what you're doing and help you put a stop to it.

As with any expensive, depreciating item, it's far smarter to keep it in top condition and not "drive it like it was stolen."

Sheesh! Driving attitudes like this makes me want to
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #9

." a dealer will take anything if they want to sell a car. then with the new car i'll drive it like i stole it."

As a dealer I can tell you that yes, we will usually "take anything in trade". However, the valuation ALWAYS refects what the dealer thinks your car is worth. If you trash your car, the dealer WILL know and adjust the valuation accordingly. Keep in mind, in this area, the dealers are usually MUCH smarter than you are!

There is no cheating the Man. In the end, you pay.

Now, if this is your dough, hey, who am I to get in the way of a man who wants to throw his money away?

It's your nickel.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #10

i'm a firm believer in if you pay for it do what you want with it. but hey it's just a boxster. you guys act like it's a carrera gt. i see a car as a piece of metal. totally dispensable. i don't worship cars. sure it's nice but if you can pay for it in this life then it's not worth getting your panties in a wad. i'm glad i have the option to buy a new car if my current one is broken. my wife is pretty laid back about cars all she cares about is if i'm happy with it or not. and i'm happy driving like i stole it. i go through a set of wheel bearings every year. i go through a set of tires every year. if it breaks pay the dealer to fix it. then drive some more. you can drive like a granpa or treat your porsche like a caddy. but i treat my porsche like a porsche.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
I can actually see both sides of it. I tend to have the "it's just a car" adittude more than most people on this board. And you're right, a lot of people on here think they drive an Italian exotic, not an entry-level Porsche. I don't mean to bash the Boxster at all -- my drive to work puts a smile on my face every morning, especially the most recent "top-down" mornings. I love this car to death, but it IS just a car, and just a "nice" car (as opposed to an exotic). That's why I don't keep it in a heated garage under a car cover and detail it with a q-tip.

But that being said... if you're going through wheel bearings every year, you're probably not treating it like you should. Sure, the Boxster is durable and relatively disposable, but there's a level of "common sense" associated with anything you own. Driving it every day, driving it fast, and enjoying it is one thing; beating on it so hard that you're going through wheel bearings once a year just shows no respect for it. I doubt that people on here who autoX their cars go through bearings once a year!!

But to each his own -- most people on here would say I do my car a disservice by driving it daily.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:24 AM   #12

As I said, its you're money!

Old 05-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #13

good point yellow jacket, i do drive it hard, but i enjoy it. those daily drives always put a smile on my face. 2000 a year for replacement parts is a cheap price to pay to put a smile on my face every time i beat my car. i know i have a problem, eventually i will join the boxster beater's anonymous club. where we can sit in a circle and trade stories of beating our cars, when i get old and have to switch to a caddy, i can assure you i will drive that caddy like a porsche as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #14

hdpt73, could you do us a favor and post your VIN number in this thread as a general warning to everyone NOT to buy this car when you're done trashing it?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #15

would you like some depends to go with your boxster?

Last edited by hdpt73; 05-16-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #16

Talking

Quote:
I think we can all tone down this a bit.

Drive your Box the way you want and we will do the same.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #17

lol I can understand some of you guys seeing me as disrespecting a "Porsche". But come on, life is short. Enjoy it while you can, plus, the reason I did it on a wet day is to save some tires, so im not totally reckless.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
The videography (at the beginning) looked great. The donuts didn't look so great. You need more room so you can spin a decent sized donut (and at least 360 degrees) without worrying about hopping a curb.

It's only a waste of a Porsche if you spin weak donuts.

-
haha give me a break dude, didn't I say it was my first time?? plus the size of that parking lot was a factor too.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #19

oh ya anyone noticed the blue smoke?? thats burning oil. did I break something in my car??
Old 05-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #20

Quote:

I think there is a order code for that available on all new Porsche's:

OVR50mdLIFcrsis

They throw in a 1-year subsciption delivered monthly to your door.

KRZ

KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote