Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by koya1893
hate to beat this post to death but I have another question on how to finish the iPOD Aux jack. Is there an adapter to plug into the usb port on the iPOD to mate with the RC jack (female end) that came with the adapter from Becker. Of am I limited to getting an adapter to plug into them and one end to plug into the earphone jack on the iPOD.

Ben
Ben,

I would stick with the one from Becker. You have a couple of options.

You can use this plug to connect to the Becker, running through the headphone jack :

Option One

I would recommend something like this running to the bottom of the Ipod. Better sound quality and the volume control on the Ipod would no longer be an issue :

Option Two

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #22

Nick,
I guess at time beating a dead horse to death will bring good news, at least in this case. This was the set up I envision when I first ask the question. Thank you this should give the application a better and cleaner arrangement on the dash. Thank you... Option two that is.

Ben
koya1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Ben,

I would stick with the one from Becker. You have a couple of options.

You can use this plug to connect to the Becker, running through the headphone jack :

Option One

I would recommend something like this running to the bottom of the Ipod. Better sound quality and the volume control on the Ipod would no longer be an issue :

Option Two

Hope this helps...

Nick
Hey Nick, I actually already have option 2 for my home stereo, so are you saying that the headunits have a traditional RCA Aux input? I am looking at putting it into this unit (attached - don't know the model number). All I need are the keys to remove the head unit (ebay?), then plug into the AUX, right? Thanks!
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #24

koya1893, Glad I could help !

HIFI, the part for the CDR-220 plugs into the back of the radio ( where the CD changer would go ) and has the RCA inputs on the other end. The two links I posted would plug into the Becker RCA inputs and then either into the headphone jack or the bottom of the Ipod ( option 1 and 2 ).

Since you have a different radio ( I assume it is a Becker ) I would call them and see if the make a part similar to the one for the CDR-220 which would plug into the back of your radio with the RCA inputs on the other end, then all you would need is a cable to connect the Ipod.

Hope this helps...

Nick

Edit : Here is a link that shows which Becker radios have an available Aux input :

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/Porsche%20Menu.html

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )

Last edited by NickCats; 03-07-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #25

Cdr23

has anybody hook up cdr23 with the i pod.
fornowh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
koya1893, Glad I could help !

HIFI, the part for the CDR-220 plugs into the back of the radio ( where the CD changer would go ) and has the RCA inputs on the other end. The two links I posted would plug into the Becker RCA inputs and then either into the headphone jack or the bottom of the Ipod ( option 1 and 2 ).

Since you have a different radio ( I assume it is a Becker ) I would call them and see if the make a part similar to the one for the CDR-220 which would plug into the back of your radio with the RCA inputs on the other end, then all you would need is a cable to connect the Ipod.

Hope this helps...

Nick

Edit : Here is a link that shows which Becker radios have an available Aux input :

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/Porsche%20Menu.html
Thanks Nick
Old 03-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #27

Results for install Aux ipod cable.

"Ok, bought the ipod adaptor that Chills described and Radio keys on ebay new for $7.95 free shipping. Total cost $52.03. Not bad considering FM modulator is horrible. I will try to snap a few pix when I install if anyone is curious. I will post some results after I am finished."

Well, I am finished! Excellent results! This was an easy project for someone with patence and some minor tools. Step by step as follows:

1-Use your radio removal tools to unlock the radio.
2-Be prepared to pull quite hard on the radio with the keys to remove it.
I was a little nervous at this point because the radio wouldnt budge and the keys
were stuck in the head unit. I gave a good yank and jiggle at the same time and
radio came sliding out.
Be careful with your interior.. I was prepared with a couple of soft towels to put the
radio on and not damage the trim.
3-Determine how and where the cable will come from that goes to the actual IPOD.
I used a home wall fish tape to pull the wire from outside the dash on the passenger floor up through the radio opening.
4-Plug in the connector to the proper location... almost idiot proof. It is the top right sections of pins on the back of the radio... looking at the back of the radio.
5-At this point, I removed the radio removal tools from the radio. You need to push in on each side of the head unit the blue radio locks to release the keys.
6-I choose not to install the battery lead and ground for charging the IPOD. Dont really need it. If I were to go on a long trip, I would reconsider. Usually, I dont drive for more than 2 hrs. IPOD will hold out in that case!
7-Zip tie the new wire harness to the old one to avoid messy wires behind the dash that could impead the radio re-installation.
8-Remove the top unit above the radio for proper re-installation. I have the dual cup holder above my radio. Carefully remove the trim bezel with some minor jiggles and it will pop off. Remove the 4 Screws that hold the cup holder to the dash. Remove cup holder.
This step will let you guide the wires behind the radio during re installation to assure that the radio will lock in place and not catch the wire harness.
9-Carefully slide the radio back into place until it locks... this does take some pressure... be careful and push from the sides, not the display.
10- Re install the cup holder and bezel above the radio.
11-Now it is time to program the radio for the AUX Input.
press the TP button for 8 seconds until Becker 1 is displayed.
Use the right knob by turning clockwise until the word Aux is displayed.
Press the button under the word off until it says Aux On.
--Power down the radio... turn it off and the Aux will be activated.
----
You are now ready to Rock!
The sound is 10thousand times better than any RF modulator. The connector at the end of the new IPOD harness is top quality and fits tightly into the IPOD.
You can control the volume with the radio and all of the other functions with the IPOD itself.

A 1 hour project at most! Worth the 50.00 bucks spent on the gear!

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I'm glad you like the results of the cable.

When I did mine I was surprised at how much you have to pull to get the head unit out of the slot. That sucker is in there tight.

Now, you did the whole "aux" thing and reprogramming the stereo. I am wondering what the purpose of that was. I didn't do that and the iPod works great with the stereo. The head unit display shows random "Track" numbers as if it were playing a CD, though. But it works.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:52 AM   #29

Chills,

I had to reprogram the head unit because my Aux was in the off mode. When I
plugged the IPOD in, it wouldnt recognize it. I did not have a CD changer installed.

Also, did you notice if the radio was out of its hole, it was locked and none of the buttons would respond. As soon as it was grounded in the hole by the inner sleeve it worked again... strange!

All in all, excellent results.. I dont know how come I didnt do this sooner. My buddy has his kit on order for his 911 after hearing of my results. Now that I am an expert cable installer, I got the nod to do his. It really is a pretty easy mod!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fornowh
has anybody hook up cdr23 with the i pod.
Yes, I installed the Dension IceLink 500 MOST adaptor thing, details on my install here : http://www.radarrack.com/boxster.htm

Chris.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Chills,

I had to reprogram the head unit because my Aux was in the off mode. When I
plugged the IPOD in, it wouldnt recognize it. I did not have a CD changer installed.

Also, did you notice if the radio was out of its hole, it was locked and none of the buttons would respond. As soon as it was grounded in the hole by the inner sleeve it worked again... strange!

All in all, excellent results.. I dont know how come I didnt do this sooner. My buddy has his kit on order for his 911 after hearing of my results. Now that I am an expert cable installer, I got the nod to do his. It really is a pretty easy mod!
Ahh, ok. I assumed you had the CD changer.

I didn't notice that about the radio when it was out of its socket. I didn't try to turn anything on until it was back in.

I'm glad you're pleased with the results. I'm looking to see how to attach the power so it'll charge my iPod as well. A friend suggested a "fuse extender" kit. Have you heard of this?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #32

Great job, AUDIOGUY !

Thanks for sharing that with everyone...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 03-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #33

Anybody know if the removal keys will work on my unit pictured a few posts above (I assume it's a Becker?)?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #34

You can use the cable to get iPod audio into the factory cable, but if you want full control of the iPod from the head unit, I'd look into something from Eclipse, either the AVN nav serios or something like the CD7000 single din non nav unit.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #35

So does this: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993 actually charge the ipod as well? It states that on the product name.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
So does this: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993 actually charge the ipod as well? It states that on the product name.

Yes it does if you wire it properly. I have a thread titled "power to the ipod" where I explain how I did it.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #37

No more CDs!

I ordered this: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993 and some radio keys off of ebay. Just got around to doing the install on a 2001 with hifi system. Took chills advice and bought the fuse extender and hooked the power up to charge the ipod. Took me all of 30 minutes from start to finish. For those of you that are thinking of doing this, go for it. I paid about $50 for all the parts. It will be so nice to just take the ipod and slip it in my pocket or lock it inside the console storage instead of putting the cd case in the trunk every time I get out of the car.

A few things I did to make it go a little easier:

-use a fish of some sort, I just used an untwisted wire coat hanger in order to get the ipod wire and the power lead from the back of the dash. Just stick one end of the hanger from under the dash until a little sticks out of the radio opening. Take some tape and tape up the ipod connector and some wire (i used some heavy gauge speaker wire) for the power to the hanger. Pull everything through.

-i did find it easier to run the wires to the driver side. The power lead goes that way and the wire for the ipod connector was long enough to run in between the console and bottom of the dash and over to the passenger side. There is the perfect amount of cord left to pick the ipod up off the seat and change songs while keeping your head and eyes up. Definitely a good thing.

-to ground the power connection, I cut off the round metal screw connector on the end of the black wire, stripped it to show about 1/4" of wire, unscrewed the torque screw behind the radio on the right side a bit, made a half loop with the bare wire, wrapped it around the screw and tightened the screw back up.

-I did not take out the cupholders, just took the keys out and worked the radio back in. It does help to go side to side and up and down a bit while pushing in.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #38

987 ipod install - Anyone done it with Pics? I am really looking to do it, but i will feel more comfortable if there is some pictures to guide me.

Thanks!
n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4ally2
987 ipod install - Anyone done it with Pics? I am really looking to do it, but i will feel more comfortable if there is some pictures to guide me.

Thanks!
Do you have PCM? If so you get much better ipod control. I installed in my 03 which should be about the same as what you'll have to do, write up is here:

http://www.radarrack.com/boxster.html

Chris.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #40

Chris,
Thanks for the info. I don't have the PCM, just the standard Radio. So I imagine it would be quite similar to the doc.

n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote