Thread: iPOD AUX
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #27
AUDIOGUY

Results for install Aux ipod cable.

"Ok, bought the ipod adaptor that Chills described and Radio keys on ebay new for $7.95 free shipping. Total cost $52.03. Not bad considering FM modulator is horrible. I will try to snap a few pix when I install if anyone is curious. I will post some results after I am finished."

Well, I am finished! Excellent results! This was an easy project for someone with patence and some minor tools. Step by step as follows:

1-Use your radio removal tools to unlock the radio.
2-Be prepared to pull quite hard on the radio with the keys to remove it.
I was a little nervous at this point because the radio wouldnt budge and the keys
were stuck in the head unit. I gave a good yank and jiggle at the same time and
radio came sliding out.
Be careful with your interior.. I was prepared with a couple of soft towels to put the
radio on and not damage the trim.
3-Determine how and where the cable will come from that goes to the actual IPOD.
I used a home wall fish tape to pull the wire from outside the dash on the passenger floor up through the radio opening.
4-Plug in the connector to the proper location... almost idiot proof. It is the top right sections of pins on the back of the radio... looking at the back of the radio.
5-At this point, I removed the radio removal tools from the radio. You need to push in on each side of the head unit the blue radio locks to release the keys.
6-I choose not to install the battery lead and ground for charging the IPOD. Dont really need it. If I were to go on a long trip, I would reconsider. Usually, I dont drive for more than 2 hrs. IPOD will hold out in that case!
7-Zip tie the new wire harness to the old one to avoid messy wires behind the dash that could impead the radio re-installation.
8-Remove the top unit above the radio for proper re-installation. I have the dual cup holder above my radio. Carefully remove the trim bezel with some minor jiggles and it will pop off. Remove the 4 Screws that hold the cup holder to the dash. Remove cup holder.
This step will let you guide the wires behind the radio during re installation to assure that the radio will lock in place and not catch the wire harness.
9-Carefully slide the radio back into place until it locks... this does take some pressure... be careful and push from the sides, not the display.
10- Re install the cup holder and bezel above the radio.
11-Now it is time to program the radio for the AUX Input.
press the TP button for 8 seconds until Becker 1 is displayed.
Use the right knob by turning clockwise until the word Aux is displayed.
Press the button under the word off until it says Aux On.
--Power down the radio... turn it off and the Aux will be activated.
----
You are now ready to Rock!
The sound is 10thousand times better than any RF modulator. The connector at the end of the new IPOD harness is top quality and fits tightly into the IPOD.
You can control the volume with the radio and all of the other functions with the IPOD itself.

A 1 hour project at most! Worth the 50.00 bucks spent on the gear!

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote