Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
Registered User
 
BOOTLEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 96
Garage
New Insulation in Engine Compartment



My original insulation was deteriorating and separating from the firewall. I bought this Thermo Tec "Cool It" from Pegasus for $30 and really like it. Very easy to install an it really sticks!

BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Qingdao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Charleston
Posts: 590
Your engine bay looks about 1000 times better than mine. I've got some jealousy going on.
__________________
'99 supercharged 4.3 chevy Boxsterado
'98 PP13B powered "RX986"

This hairdresser only cuts mullets
Qingdao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,668
Nice man did you do the hatch too? Why did you choose this material as opposed to dynamat or similar.

Been wanting to this for a while
__________________
986 00S
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
Registered User
 
BOOTLEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 96
Garage
The sales guy at our local Pegasus store said he uses it on his race cars - he's always had good advice, so....
BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,668
nice, thanks. Is there sound attenuation properties with it as well?
__________________
986 00S
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Registered User
 
BOOTLEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 96
Garage
yes. The shiny reflects heat and the ~1/8" foam absorbs sound.
BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
Registered User
 
truegearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA (The Fan)
Posts: 978
Looks great. Perhaps the best “while you’re in there” I’ve seen.
__________________
1997 Boxster 4.2L Audi V8 Bi-Turbo
2003 911 C2
NASA HPDE Instructor
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,668
Yeah almost makes you want to drop your engine just to do it. I've got the nasty twenty year old foam flopping down on my engine which is no beuno.

We all can a least apply insulation to the firewall hatch and the underside of the
engine cover
__________________
986 00S
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #9
Registered User
 
EB_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KC MO
Posts: 34
Garage
How is the insulation holding up? I am considering this as I have the engine out right now.
EB_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2026, 09:22 AM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,965
Garage
I recently bought a 914 with a Honda K24 swap and no insulation on the firewall. Remembered this thread and how clean BOOTLEG's installation looked. So here's a bump for anyone wanting to insulate theirs. Thermo Tec "Cool It" was available on Amazon and probably elsewhere.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2026, 10:18 AM   #11
Registered User
 
redpepperracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 332
I wish I had seen this when I had my engine out...thanks for bringing it back though, I may still have some use for it.

__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster (check me out on Elferlog: https://www.elferlog.com/porsche/2000-986-boxster-2-7/72ec5afa-b31d-486c-a43f-8581530473d8)
2014 Meteor Gray Cayenne
redpepperracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page