Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #1

Techart, seatback, pedals, & strut brace

18'' Techart Formula wheel and Michelin tires. Finally got it installed!

Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #2

Rear strut brace. Couldn't get the cable holders back into its original place, so I had to clamp it with the strut brace
Old 03-10-2006, 10:20 PM   #3

Seatback cover (silver) and pedals. Bought the sport seatback cover from 986online.com and pedals from ultimatepedals.com.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
Rear strut brace. Couldn't get the cable holders back into its original place, so I had to clamp it with the strut brace
What brand strut brace is that? Hows your expierence with it so far?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:06 AM   #5

The rear strut brace is Weltmeister. I think the rear strut from Schnell is identical as they both most likely come from the same manufacturer.

The front and rear brace improves cornering ability of the boxs a lot. The front brace gives the most noticeable effect, but it may be because the front brace was added before the rear.

I don't really recommend this one as it is a pain to install. There is a similar brace but with much better design in terms of easy installation.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #6

Is that sued on your seats? if so nice idea.

p.s.
how could they sell you those beautiful wheels without side skirts!!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Is that sued on your seats? if so nice idea.

p.s.
The middle section feels like suede (not sure the exact material). The rest of the seat is leather excluding the backside. The boxs has seat heater so maybe this is why.

Side skirts should be a nice addition I've to think it over because I don't want to have to worry about scrapping it anytime I go over the bumps or curbs.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #8

hey threpwood, love the wheels and other mods....i don't really care for skirting because at least in my opinion, the fiberglass looks cheap....
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
hey threpwood, love the wheels and other mods....i don't really care for skirting because at least in my opinion, the fiberglass looks cheap....
Thanks, glad that you like it. I'll take more photos of the boxs
Old 03-12-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:

p.s.

Perfectlap, you need to change your user name to "SideSkirts"!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Perfectlap, you need to change your user name to "SideSkirts"!!!
I second this motion!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #12

when you guys with 18" wheels get sideskirts you'll know what I'm talking about!
I kick my self everyday for not doing it sooner. Actually, I feel this way about the Carreras too, it always looks barebones without sideskiritng.

THrepwood,
don't worry about sideskirts and rough roads. I drive in NYC all the time. The pot holes are only an issue for the wheels and my back!
The seatback covers and sideskirting totally transform a Boxster.
and those wheels look really beefy, well made.

p.s. how much does it cost you $US to fill your gas tank in Japan?

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-12-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #13

Quote:
when you guys with 18" wheels get sideskirts you'll know what I'm talking about!
I kick my self everyday for not doing it sooner. Actually, I feel this way about the Carreras too, it always looks barebones without sideskiritng.

THrepwood,
don't worry about sideskirts and rough roads. I drive in NYC all the time. The pot holes are only an issue for the wheels and my back!
The seatback covers and sideskirting totally transform a Boxster.
and those wheels look really beefy, well made.

p.s. how much does it cost you $US to fill your gas tank in Japan?
The seatback surely attracts attention especially with the top down. All I need now is dyeing my hair silver to match the boxs

The gas price in Japan is more or less USD$5.00 per gallon. I usually fill up the tank way before red (about half way) and costs me about $50 for the gas. OPEC needs to release more gasoline into the market.

FYI, I heard that Japanese researchers found a way to extract a bit of gasoline from cow's droppings, which hopefully will decrease the gas price in about....30 years.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #14

$100 a tank?

if I didn't have my GT3 seats I would have done those seat backs for sure. I think they are $800 over here. I asked about having the harness openings painted silver too (see pic below) and the vendor told me it would cost $400 per seat to paint those 4 little pieces!

Old 03-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #15

Perfectlap - would you have gotten the sport seatbacks for looks or for better performance at autocross? I like the looks of the seatbacks but I don't know if I should consider adding them if I don't getting anything for it. I only got 2.5L to move me around.

TheRepwood - I think the suede material is called alcantra. Do you like it at the weather extremes (hot or cold)? I was speaking with an installer about getting a new top and he's trying to talk me into getting seat covers. My gray leather seats are in good condition but I found the idea of seat covers with the black bolsters and the gray alcantra inner seat areas intriguing. It would help breakup the mostly gray interior.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
Perfectlap - would you have gotten the sport seatbacks for looks or for better performance at autocross? I like the looks of the seatbacks but I don't know if I should consider adding them if I don't getting anything for it. I only got 2.5L to move me around.

TheRepwood - I think the suede material is called alcantra. Do you like it at the weather extremes (hot or cold)? I was speaking with an installer about getting a new top and he's trying to talk me into getting seat covers. My gray leather seats are in good condition but I found the idea of seat covers with the black bolsters and the gray alcantra inner seat areas intriguing. It would help breakup the mostly gray interior.
The material works great during weather extremes. It doesn't burn during hot summer, and it doesn't sting during cold winter. The only drawback is that this material (alcantra) is prone to wear and tear, and possibly has low stain resistance. I have to be careful to make sure nothing sticks on my pants before sitting on it

If you do a lot of performance driving (on track), I say the GT3 seats that Perfectlap has would be very useful. The seatback is 100% for looks.

The seatback comes with 4 rubber pieces (fits into the wing looking side) and looks a bit 'cheap' since it is only a rubber. I was thinking to wrap and sew those things with leather (cordoban - horse hides), sort of a small DIY project.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:53 PM   #17

I thought about putting in the silver seatback on my stock red passenger seat and leaving in the GT3 seat for the driver. It would have looked kind of funny but kind of cool at the same time (my passengers HATE getting out of the GT3 seat, especially the girls and old people).

the great thing about the GT3 seats is that they use the same mounting points as the stock seats, can be done in only 20 minutes total with a socket wrench Probably less time the more you do it..so initially I was thinking about putting the stock seats back in for winter but I liked the driving position so much that I left them in all year! Which reminds me I have to put some Leatherique prestine clean on the stock seats which have been sitting in storage since last may. GT3 seats are not easy for a daily driver.

But threpwood's painted seat backs are soooo nice too bad they don't make a lighter stock seat with them. The 50th anniversary 911 came with them and really looks fantastic. They look great in CaymanS too.

speaking of ALcantara,
here's the new 997 interior in Alcantara

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-13-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #18

Thought I should just update my old thread rather than starting a new one to share my new stories.

I had my stock speakers upgraded to DLS Iridium 6.3 last week and get more output out of my flying mole amp. Much better sounds, I should have gotten it upgraded when I put the amp in.

Here're some of the pictures.
You can find some more info about Iridium 6.3 here: http://www.carsound.com/articles/publish/printer_16.shtml

The tweeters were a bit large to fit into the stock slot and was sticking out, so the stereo shop made a custom fit grill to cover it.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:42 AM   #19

Another pic of the sticking out fronts.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #20

Pics of Flying mole amp and 6XS crossover.