Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #1

Another newbie, to the forum and to Porsches

Yesterday I picked up my new ride, an -02 Boxster. The car was just as fun to drive as everybody on the forum has been saying. So now a couple of questions:

- I need to replace the armrest / cover on the drivers side. Where's the best place to buy something like this?

- I noticed in the RH front air intake these a little thing that looks like a sensor. What is this? A temp sensor?

/Stefan

stjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 AM   #2

Welcome!!! :dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoh
- I noticed in the RH front air intake these a little thing that looks like a sensor. What is this? A temp sensor?

You guessed correctly. it is the outdoor temp sensor.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Quote:
- I need to replace the armrest / cover on the drivers side. Where's the best place to buy something like this?

/Stefan

Welcome Stefan:

Are you talking about the door storage bin lid? and is it broke or just flaking, if flaking most folks just sand and paint those.

If another issue, then several online places which I am sure others will add to, but mine would be:

http://pelicanparts.com

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

and of cource . . . .

http://www.ebay.com

-Travis
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Hey Stefan, Its me CJ from the other forum. Yes that sensor on the right bumper intake is for outside air temp. This means you have OnBoard Computer (OBC) and you should see the temp displayed under your digital read out of the MPH.

If you dont see it, you have to goto the dealer and have them turn it on, Its done for free but it may take some explaining of what you want them to do before they do it. Pacific Porsche in Torrance had no idea what i was talking about until 10 minutes of explaining. Do a search for OBC and eventually you will find a detailed discription of the system and its other functions.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #5

CJ_Boxster

Thanks, I'll try that (nothing like that is displayed now). I'll do a search to see if I can figure out what else it can do.

Travis

Yes it's the storage bin lid. Didn't realize that they could be just sanded and painted. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by stjoh; 01-30-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #6

FYI:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-Boxster-arctic-silver-door-bin-lids_W0QQitemZ170074731318QQihZ007QQcategoryZ10408 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or you can look at www.bumperplugs.com

and of course you can always paint yourself like most of us have done.

-T

Quote:
Travis

Yes it's the storage bin lid. Didn't realize that they could be just sanded and painted. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #7

Travis

Thanks for the links. Looks like the sand and paint route is the way to go though. The wing on your car looks like what I'd like to get. Where did you find it?

I found a write-up on Pelican about the OBC but it was only talking about 2001 and older. Does anybody know if this is the same on the 2002?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_OBD_Mod/box_obd_mod.htm

Stefan
Old 01-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #8

The rear spoiler is part of the Aerokit I, had it installed last week (minus skirts).

do not know anything about the OBC hack, my 2000 came with the OBC.

Quote:
Travis

Thanks for the links. Looks like the sand and paint route is the way to go though. The wing on your car looks like what I'd like to get. Where did you find it?

I found a write-up on Pelican about the OBC but it was only talking about 2001 and older. Does anybody know if this is the same on the 2002?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_OBD_Mod/box_obd_mod.htm

Stefan
Old 01-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #9

Nice! Congratulations and enjoy!!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #10

Being from Canada, I can't wait for weather like you're having.
Welcome to the forums.
How many miles on your car?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #11

It has 59k on it which brings me to my next question. I got all the service records for it and it had a "major" service at 45k and a minor at 56k (Oct last fall). With 59k on it I'll be at the 60k mark real soon which would normally mean a significant service (the local dealer quoted me $1,500 for a 60k!). Given the service history what would you suggest I do at 60k? Minor? Or should I just wait until 71k (56k +15k)?

What's the deal with this OBC anyway. Do they sell the cars with the equipment installed but charge you to have it activated?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #12

I'd say 60K is 60K so it needs attention. Minor as opposed to major is different.
Do you have the OBC?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #13

So stick to the 60k. Does that quote sound reasonable?

According to CJ_Boxster if you have the temp sensor in the nose (which I have) you have the OBC but it has to be activated and a switch / stalk be installed to access the functionality. Has anybody done this mod to a 2002?

Are there any Boxsters in the Albuquerque / Santa Fe area? Where do you go for service?

Are the spec's for the amplifier of the 490 package available anywhere. I need to know impedance requirement so I can get the right replacement speakers. I was planning to strat with just replacing the speakers sticking with the stock HU and amp and see how that sounds. I tried search for this but couldn't come up with anything.

A lot of questions and I appreciate all the help from this forum. Makes buying/ owning this car a lot easier.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #14

I've heard anywhere from $900 to $1500 for the 60K.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
PSH! Pay for the 60k tune-up? I D.I.Y. for $250-300ish and I learned ALOT about my car while doing it.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
PSH! Pay for the 60k tune-up? I D.I.Y. for $250-300ish and I learned ALOT about my car while doing it.
And that was going to be my next comment although a lot of people are very tentative on diving in there because of the "P" factor.
There's a list of what's necessary to service somewhere.......