Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

View Poll Results: Rims Like Em or Leave Em?
Love Em 5 15.63%
Like Em 12 37.50%
Not my cup of tea 14 43.75%
Hate Em 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #21

You mean royalties in the way of compliments do not count...."nice clean 987", if not consider the check in the mail!

Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 PM   #22

The wheels looks to "busy" for my tastes and as others have mentioned the tires are too skinny and are stretched onto the wheels. If you buy wider wheels you need wider tires.

Last edited by Adam; 09-25-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:07 AM   #23

Those remind me of my BBS RK's which everyone wanted to steal off my car because they were so cool. BBS mesh look wheels and Porsche are a solid combination. Most of the factory Pcar wheels I don't like so much, look like they came off a Mazda..losing that German Race look.

I don't think 19" wheels look out of place for a 986 Boxster since the 987 and CaymanS have them and all are about the same dimensions.

BUT!!! If you are going to have wheels that big you must have full aero treatment. Otherwise it looks like a Porsche off road vehicle.
GT3 front bumper (with air spiltter) and side skirting makes the car look lower, wider and longer. You can call DPS motorsports for that factory stuff. A small operation called precisionporsche.com make the fiberglass stuff.

Also I would not lower the car unless you drive only on highways and flatlands. Your car just takes more abuse at lower ride heights, there's no debating that.
THe ride quality may feel stock but less travel absorbs less energy and it gets taken out on the car and things start to come loose and break.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #24

Thanks for the positive feedback Perfectlap.

And I agree that lowering it may prove to be more trouble than it is worth to me as this is a third vehicle that I will probably put less than a couple of thousand miles per year on.

As for the aero scenarios there are only a few that appeal to me so I'll have to weigh the gain in the overall appearance vs the current 4x4 look to justify the expense...but I think the point you made does make sense.
Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #25

Since you have silver as well...

These are my GT3 MK2 style side (fiberglass $400 from precisonporsche.com) skirts on 18" Carreras. Most people have the more expensive polyurethane MK1 style because the factory didn't make the MK2 style for the Boxster. Fiberglass for side skirts is ok in my book, rear and front bumpers not so good.

The GT3 front bumper which has been shamefully sitting in storage for over a year is going on when I have my windshield replaced this month. This guy put the nifty GT3 RS intake holes and meshing to with his silver hood crest. The factory front bumper can be had for another $900. Not including labor, less than $1500 is well worth it and a total transformation in me book. Will definitely help distinguish your car when you sell it from the sea of other silver boxsters.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #26

If nobody's correctly identified them yet, your wheels are Miros. I suspect, because they are mated with the Generals, that they were originally sold by Wheel Dynamics in California. Carlos, the owner, sells Miros and is very high on those Generals, as is the Tire Rack (now that I've owned them for 3000 miles, I'm pretty fond of them too). I really like the look of the Miros and considered them for our car, but Mrs. Grizzly balked at cleaning them. She had a set of similar BBS rims on an earlier vehicle, and they were a bear to keep clean.

Despite the warnings about running 18s or 19s on an early model car, I did some research and learned that they are likely quite safe for a street car. There is a distinct possibility of a rear suspension failure if the car is driven hard or tracked. In later model years, Porsche beefed up the rear suspension to accomodate larger wheel/tire combinations. Since our car is a cruiser and never pushed very hard, I opted for the 19s. They fill the wheelwells nicely and lend an updated look to the older body style. If I break the car because I made the wrong decision, I'll fix it or replace it. Right now, I think it looks cool. It rides and handles well and gets plenty of compliments.

We have the same tire setup as you, but our rear rim is only a 9.5". Yours is a 10". I think there are a couple of guys running 285s on the rear (TriGem2k comes to mind) but I don't think you can go much larger that that without starting to rub.

My $.02? I think your car looks great. Leave it as it is and enjoy the crap out of it.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #27

Talking

Thanks again for the additional positive feedback.

I too will probably use it almost exclusively as a cruiser but I really love the wheels...they were one of the deciding factors in purchasing this car.

While searching I found many less expensive Boxsters of similar year and mileage but this particular car had a 2 owner history with new struts, airbag/horn fix completed, recent brake work and a great feel from behind the wheel.

Getting back to the thread, I was actually surprised to see the reaction I received on a Land Rover Board that I have frequented for a few years and figured I would gauge the reaction here...again I am surprised to see that in this case more people dislike them then like them.

I guess that makes them a little more unique to me since most Boxster owners will not be installing them anytime soon...Ha Ha!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #28

Old 09-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #29

now that front end looks really nice...

I could not see me widening the rear but that front end with the right sides could look really nice.

Thanks for posting.

Where did you find that?
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Old 09-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #30

wait a minute...that front end is widened as well, correct?

that would be nice, but that will prove to be more work than I could justify one month after purchasing...Ha Ha

...but that does showcase similar rims in an extreme setup. Thanks again for posting.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Old 09-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #31

Its from Gemballausa.com

I was looking at their interior bits and those wheels^ reminded me of yours.
I think they do have a set of fenders on Ebay right now. NOT CHEAP!
I'd do a Turbo headlight (aka 02-04 911 Facelift) conversion before considereing
the Gemballa look.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxter
...with regards to the ride height that was commented on earlier in this thread.

I just found this example of a nice clean 987, actually bmussatti of this board...

Does my ride height look noticably higher than this one?

Certainly no other comparisons to draw here, but I was thinking again about how high my car sits and thought that it did not look all that different than this example.
-________________________________

I can't tell if the wheels are higher BUT I like the look of the wheels more than yours.

jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote