Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #121
Porschephile

Another epic track day at Club Motorsports

Old 11-13-2021, 07:13 AM   #122
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Awesome...looks like you had a lot of fun on that beautiful day.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #123
Porschephile

Track Addict App

Made a video of my last track day with the cool app called Track Addict. Comes with free software to edit videos called RaceRender. $10 bucks!! Worked slick as hell. Also controls your GoPro so multiple videos sync up. Check out my vid...

https://youtu.be/4j3RjilrxSE
Old 12-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #124
Porschephile

Forged Wheels

Picked up a set of these during a pretty decent Black Friday sale...

Old 06-18-2023, 07:09 AM   #125
Porschephile

2023 Update

Car still on jack stands. Life gets in the way. Decided to do a mild suspension overhaul over the winter months. Good thing I'm not a flat rate technician. I'm somewhat handy but never dabbled with suspension. I just took my time, used my service manual and watched a bunch of videos on YouTube.

Picked these up back in December from a Spec Boxster guy who was upgrading...

Missing some parts so I thought I would just call up Bilstein and order the missing pieces. Think again. Only sell them as a full kit. "individual pieces would not work well together because the springs are matched to the shocks. It would be a safety issue." Bull********************.

Tarett Engineering to the rescue. Got me slightly stiffer springs (but not Spec Boxster stiff) and all the missing goodies. Picked up some used adjustable camber plates off the forum...

Looks like I was fully committed at this point. I also took the time to clean up all the cast aluminum bits with steel brush bits and steel wool. All those parts look like new now.

The rears are quite a bit more involved.

Starting to come back together...

The it was all so pretty and clean that I had to throw in new set of rotors and pads...

Next up tires and an alignment...

Old 07-12-2023, 06:46 PM   #126

How is the new suspension? I’m about to tackle the same project. Picked up a set of new PSS9’s and I’m studying 📚 the install procedure. Looks like people attack it different ways. Did you remove any of the hubs or disconnect the cv joints in the rear?
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:34 AM   #127
Porschephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
How is the new suspension? I’m about to tackle the same project. Picked up a set of new PSS9’s and I’m studying 📚 the install procedure. Looks like people attack it different ways. Did you remove any of the hubs or disconnect the cv joints in the rear?
Sorry I'm just seeing this. I should have gone with a new set instead of trying to piece it together with used parts. Ended up paying about the same. I did end up with slightly upgraded springs. To be honest the project was a ********************. But I'm only a YouTube certified mechanic. The right tools help. I took my time and bought the tools I didn't have as I encountered the roadblocks. Getting the struts out even with spring compressors was a pain. One of the most difficult parts. I ended up stripping the allen key hole in the top of one of the new shocks installing it. Be very careful tightening the top nut. I stripped another bolt disassembling the rear suspension. Got to know a local machine shop very well and they fixed all my f'ups. Didn't remove the hubs. Just disconnected the axles. When I got it bolted up and took it for a drive it was almost unbearable. The ride was horrible. Alignment was off. Got it aligned and corner balanced and OMG what a difference. I was contemplating going back to stock it was sooo bad. I never would have thought an alignment would affect the ride quality but thank god it did. It's stiff and need to be careful around town but I can live with it. Did a track event last October and the new sneakers and suspension made the entire ordeal worth it.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:47 PM   #128

Nice! I did the front ones myself and also stripped one of the Allen keyholes on the top. But the strut was tight enough on the mount that I don’t need to fix it until disassemble time in the future. It was such a pain in the @$$ that I had my Indy shop do the rears along with the corner balance and alignment. Definitely a night and day difference. The original struts were completely shot.

I’m always surprised how tough some of these seemly simple projects can be. I hope to get on the track one day soon!

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote