Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOOSH1970 View Post
...didn't you buy this recently......surely the garage you bought it from offered a year's MOT...I think you bought it from Speeds..?
I knocked them down a huge amount on price by having them to not give me a years MOT. Even with this, I'm still in pocket from the amount I knocked them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
How can that be an MOT failure?? That rust is 100% normal on a stock steel rotor. Thickness is what they should be worried about not rust.....
The rears failed on thickness, the fronts failed on condition - I've yet to take a photo of the fronts, the insides of them are shocking, they look like the face has completely rotted away.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #142

Annoyingly I just tried to fit the front pads and they don't fit. The shop gave me two sets of rear pads, and when I called to explain, they told me the fronts would cost me more, even though they made a deal with me for front and back discs and pads. I'm off there to see the manager tomorrow as I definitely won't be paying extra for a mistake they made

Even if I had to it's fine, I just want the car back on the road.

The inner O/S driveshaft boot has split. I don't know how the MOT garage missed that but it's practically in half. Is there much maintenance in replacing these?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 AM   #143

Took it back in for a retest, passed no advisories the brakes are outstanding, and I thought they were good before!

Old 04-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #144

Coolant has been perfect so far, so looks like it was the cap. Happy days!

Prepped the car for a drive to Silverstone Circuit tomorrow as the 6 hours of LeMans Seies is there. Can't wait!

Old 04-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #145

Back from Silverstone to see the 6 hours WEC race. What a day as usual Porsche were very competitive, shame about the crash between #1 Porsche and #86 Porsche.

Had a stroll through the Porsche Club GB area of the old track where hundreds of Porsches were parked. You're allowed to park there if you're part of the club. While I'd love to be, I can't justify the £70 annual fee just to be part of it.

The Boxster S was outstanding. Over 3 hours there and 3 hours back, over 300 miles in total. We did the whole trip on around £55 of fuel, which was incredible. Drove economically but cruised at 75mpg. Outstanding! Car ran flawlessly, we had the roof down there and back, and the weather was stunning. I pulled up outside my house after dropping my dad back to his, got out of the car, locked the door and felt very proud of it. I know it's not an enormous journey but it's the first one I've had with it and it's been brilliant. Looked the part too parked up along side other exotica. Apart from a few GT3 RS's, Cayman GT4's and the odd 488 GTB that stole the show in some instances.

An amazing day added to my to-do list is a machine polisher, a private number plate and a front end re-spray. There's nowt wrong with my paint, but I want it 'perfect'. Seeing the other Porsches today had made me realise what a difference a good front end (in terms of paint) makes.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
This "tool" is not my best work, but I needed something in a pinch and it worked great. I've used it several times since...easy to make and does the job.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u9CIuxDSg5Y
Thanks a load for recording that mate, appreciate it!

But could it be done without dismantling the headlight? The spare ones I've bought are going to be opened, but my originals aren't as that's why I bought spares. If I'm taking this part off the originals and using it in my new spares, could I take it out without dismantling it?

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:37 AM   #147

And the long awaited photo of the inside of the front discs:

Can't believe I didn't see this before.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:44 AM   #148
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Thanks a load for recording that mate, appreciate it!

But could it be done without dismantling the headlight? The spare ones I've bought are going to be opened, but my originals aren't as that's why I bought spares. If I'm taking this part off the originals and using it in my new spares, could I take it out without dismantling it?

Thanks!
That was showing how to remove the ball without disassembly. I just used a disassembled headlight to make things clearer.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:15 AM   #149

Spot on, thought as much Thanks!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #150

Holy s--t! What the hell happened to that brake disc?
It looks like the car was parked in the sea! I have forgotten how British weather and roads beat up cars!
Off to check the inside of my discs!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #151

I was horribly shocked to see them like this too :/

Old 05-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #152

Got some wheel nut covers:

Before:

After:

I also ordered some caliper decals to replace the faded ones on the calipers, but had quite a lot spare.

I decided to place one of the larger ones on the wind deflector (sorry for the average photos):

And now onto the caliper. Here's one of the faded ones:

Removed the remains using Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a soft foam applicator:

Applied the decal:

And finished:

Far better.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #153

And seeing as I had a few more spare, I uhh... decided to go one step further.

The door sill in the passenger side has an umbrella well for a small umbrella, which I've already got in there. Seeing as I refuse to pay £80 for an original Porsche umbrella, and seeing as I had some decals left over... you can see where this is going.

Shh, I like it.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #154
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Clever use of the decals, Ger. Where did you get those lug nut covers? My lugs look awful, but the thought of removing the wheels and painting them leaves me less than ambitious.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Clever use of the decals, Ger. Where did you get those lug nut covers? My lugs look awful, but the thought of removing the wheels and painting them leaves me less than ambitious.
Thanks bud.

I'm in the UK so I'm on the UK ebay, but I bought these:

19mm SILVER ALLOY WHEEL NUT BOLT COVERS CAPS UNIVERSAL SET WITH TOOLS | eBay

As long as they're 19mm you'll be fine. For the locking nut, put a little bit of tape inside to make a more snug fit. With the others they should push right on nice and tight.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 AM   #156

More great tinkers.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #157
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Ordered up the lug nut covers, caliper paint kit and decals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #158

Glad I could help

Old 05-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #159

Garage
You may want to use some VHT caliper clear coat on your calipers. Otherwise, I don't think the decals will last long.

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP730-Gloss-Clear-Caliper/dp/B000CPJLV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462208020&sr=8-1&keywords=VHT+clear+coat
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #160

Decided to refresh the interior leather as it was looking quite shiny and oily.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Bit better.

Tags
3.2 , black , boxster s , oem+ , porsche