Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #381

Garage
Yep, replacing the rear control arms makes a huge difference for relatively little money!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #382

Had a bit of sun today so gave the car a thorough clean with a fresh coat of wax.

Just bought a Google Pixel and the camera is just ridiculous!****

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #383

Garage
WOW! I can actually see my reflection in your paint.
Steve in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #384

Garage
Yeah, I am sure it is the camera! Gorgeous
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #385
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I don't think it's possible to take a bad photo of Ger's car, but well done, sir!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #386

Thanks guys I detailed it back in the summer with a 3 stage machine polish, etc. Since then I've washed it with two buckets (three including the wheel bucket) and techniques to prevent swirl marks. Before I waxed it yesterday I checked the car over with a swirl lamp, and there's not a single swirl mark. The paint is just as fresh as when I detailed it. Just goes to show how washing techniques save paintwork.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 03-03-2017, 04:26 AM   #387
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
+1 on the three step correction. We had some warm with last weekend, so I did the full job. My car is not quite the example as Ger's, but with this method, starting with an aggressive compound applied with a dual action machine, and then a mid-grit, followed by a fine polish - will get rid of most, if not all, of the swirl marks. Then I follow with Klasse sealer and finally a nice carnuba on top. Not too shabby.

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:10 AM   #388

Beautiful

Old 03-14-2017, 04:40 AM   #389

Hi Ger

Did you get your MOT done with the sidelights issue?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #390

Nah not yet, next month

Old 04-15-2017, 04:10 AM   #391

Right! MOT!

Initially failed the MOT, but now passed the MOT no advisories, although it did cost £608.

As expensive as it sounds though, it was a bloody great price. The garage was gutted because of the fail on the rigid brake lines, so they did me a favour.****I'll explain.

Rigid brake lines - Failed & Advisory
This was the only big thing wrong with the car. The rigid lines had corrosion on them. Some failed, some were advisory, but I decided to rip them all out and do them all.****It took the garage a day and a half to do them as they were taking their time and making sure the did a proper job, but they didn't charge me anymore than a quoted price which I'll explain later.

Front flexi brake hoses - Advisory
The fronts had slight cracks in them, so I decided to change them. They offered to fit braided hoses for a steal of a price, but I declined as I love the brake pedal feel, and didn't want this to turn into a car that's uncomfortable to drive daily.

Front tyres - Advisory
These had slight cracks in them as they were the tyres on the wheels when I bought them. Annoyingly the tyres I have on the rears (Falken 453's) are now discontinued and I couldn't get them anywhere as I wanted them on the fronts. After searching everywhere, the garage managed to source 2 of the last 6 in the UK, and put them on the fronts for me.

Exhaust clamp - Advisory
Just two bolts that were missing, I knew about this but didn't know it would advise. Re-did this myself using nuts and bolts from B&Q.

Emissions - Fail
The emissions failed as they should have been 1.030, but were 1.550. This was only on the left bank though. Originally thought this was a failed lambda, but after digging in the engine bay it was due to a disconnected plenum hose in the engine bay, and the emissions passed flying colours on the next run.

So how much did all of this cost?

Tyres: £258
Flexi hoses: £40
Brake fluid: £10
All rigid brake line fabrication and replacement, and labour for everything: £300 (cash in hand)

That's £608. I could have passed it just by spending the £300, but I don't want advisories. In all fairness to them, that's a great price for everything. When you

Car is now back on the road, and is great! Front tyres are exceptional, brake feel is fantastic, and the MPG is much better. The garage told me it shouldn't fail again after this, it's mechanically sound.

She's better than ever.

Last edited by geraintthomas; 04-15-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #392

Sounds like money well spent. Can't argue with the tyre costs as they are consumables. Seems a great price for the brake refurb.
No issues with the sidelights then?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #393

Nah no issues at all. Side lights needed to be a predominantly white light, pointing forwards, to the left and right of the car. They passed no problem at all

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, had quite an interesting past few months. Me and my partner split so that's been a bit of a troublesome period trying to help her move (was on good terms, but stressful never the less). Still, more time to spend on this!

Nothing new to report after the MOT though, enjoying every minute of it in this stunning weather.

Decided to treat it with sealant and two coats of wax:

Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #394

...and one more photo, because why not.

Last edited by geraintthomas; 05-08-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #395

Looking good Ger!
Old 05-09-2017, 12:51 AM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Looking good Ger!
Thanking you

Old 05-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #397

Looking at what I've done so far, it's quite extensive!

- Full detail with 2-stage paint correction
- Roof coated with hydrophobic sealant
- Exhaust Bypass Pipes
- 18" 987 Boxster S alloys in anthracite
- Android In-Car Entertainment
- One-touch roof relay
- Coloured centre caps
- Front Cree LED DRL's
- Bi-Xenon Headlights with H1 5000k bulbs
- Rear LED lights
- Matt black rear badge
- Replaced all Porsche caliper decals
- Wheel nut caps
- Parking Sensors
- Aluminium dust caps
- LED Cree indicators
- LED Cree numberplate bulbs
- Hybrid aero wipers
- Silver ash tray
- Original Porsche mats
- Ambient night footwell lighting
- Courtesy footwell lighting
- Door sill 'Porsche' umbrella
- New rigid brake lines all round
- New front brake hoses
- New rear control arms
- New drivers window regulator
- New coolant cap

Old 05-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #398

Ger, love what you've done with your boxster. I'm now in the club, with a new (to me) '03. It's also black with the same gray interior you've got. What kind of leather dye did you use on the handbrake? I've got the same issue there, and on the driver's side bolster. Thanks in advance.
agrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrennan View Post
Ger, love what you've done with your boxster. I'm now in the club, with a new (to me) '03. It's also black with the same gray interior you've got. What kind of leather dye did you use on the handbrake? I've got the same issue there, and on the driver's side bolster. Thanks in advance.
Ah I'll have a check to see if I can find the company who did it. Ive for the colour code for the leather too. Was a little pot that cost around £10, that you apply with a sponge by dabbing it on, the dabbing it on a dry side to feather it in. Comes up perfect!

Old 05-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #400

Had a productive day today!

Caught up with a friend of mine who owned a lovely Corvette C4.

(continued next post...)

Tags
3.2 , black , boxster s , oem+ , porsche