Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

New to me 2000 S

Greetings. I just bought this 2000 S last month. My boss drove it nearly daily for nine years. His friend was needing to unload a 996TT quickly, so he jumped on that and put the Boxster out to pasture, talked about selling it.

I've always liked this car, but frankly, never knew anything about Porsches until we started discussing me purchasing this from him. Well, he knew I wanted it and he liked the idea of being able to keep an eye on it, so he made me an offer that I considered almost unrejectable. We more or less agreed on a deal. Then, the day he was to bring it to me (about 10 days after getting his 996TT and not driving the Boxster) lo and behold, the Boxster would not start. Crank, no start. "I've had this car nine years, this has never happened. . . ." He offers to have it towed to an indy shop and then, depending on what was wrong, we would decide how to proceed, OR he offers to have it towed to my house, major discount, and it's just my problem moving forward. I, being incredibly naive and foolhardy, say "just tow it to my house, it can't be that big of a deal, I wanted it to have something to mess around with anyway, blah blah."

So, I buy the car. Wife glares out the window as an immovable Porsche is being dropped off the flatbed. "You are not a mechanic" she rightly reminds me. While awaiting its arrival, I doing some research (after purchase is obviously the best time to research a car) and get a lump in my throat. IMS explosions, plasticky disposable engines, etc. I secretly am already questioning my judgment before this thing is on pavement. But my boss drove it almost daily--how can a car that is as unreliable as the internet is telling me be driven nearly daily?

So I set about finding out why its not running without my wife realizing I have no idea what I'm doing. Order the Bentley manual. Troubleshoot. Put in new fuel filter figuring that won't do the trick but knowing it won't hurt--and it was about the only locally available part--I've quickly figured the local Porsche dealership wants nothing to do with me. Order fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Drop in new fuel pump. Fires right up about 10 days after purchase!!

So, now I've got a running, driving Boxster that is a blast to drive. And my two year old son wants to just stand in garage and look at it, which makes it hard for my wife to stay mad! But it also leaks a bit of oil and has lots of deferred maintenance. While my boss is a great guy and certainly does not abuse his cars, he is also someone who just turns the key and goes. He owned the car from 35,000 to 110,000 miles. He had it serviced (oil change periodically and once the AOS had to be swapped) at local independent shops. He really did not know about the access panels to the engine until I told him. He also had never heard about the IMS issues until I told him - obviously not a forum guy. So, I know I've got plenty of upkeep to catch up on--fluids, filters, brake pads and rotors, struts, etc., etc.

But before any of that, my main concern is that there is an oil leak (boss told me it dripped a tiny bit of oil--it's not a lot, but more than i imagined). Indy shop told my boss it was likely RMS. Opening the access panel to take a look, yep, oil all over the place. I haven't had a chance to even begin to clean it up to determine where the oil is coming from. Based on my internet scouring, there are certainly plenty of potential candidates for leaks. I'll just hope its nothing major.

So, trying to figure out where to even begin. Got to get the leaks in order before worrying about much else. I assume this will include pulling the tranny and inspecting the RMS and IMS. Assuming this thing still has the original IMS bearing, I guess I'll put replacing that near the top of my list. I'm here for any and all input I can get from people more knowledgeable than myself, which is all of you. Let me know--where do I begin?

Thanks much.

KSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:06 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
It seems you have started already!
As far as determining engine health, cut open the oil filter to check for metal debris, and have a local Indy check cam deviations with a Durametric.
If You don't find anything scary, start on the usual deferred maintenance items; brake fluid, coolant flush, trans fluid replacement, clean rads, oil change, serpentine belt and plugs. Check CV boots for tears if it's a stick too as they get more abuse on an S model than a base.
I have done all this maintenance on mine since buying it except the IMSR and the CV boots.
They really aren't that hard to work on and you get to save $$ on labour too.
Congratulations and have fun with that Boxster.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #3

One of my favorite things about these cars is the way they handle. But I'm thinking - if he daily drove this car, it's got some KMs on it and age....you might want to start thinking about a suspension refresh and motor mount. Not cheap, but IMO, a must do to get the full Porsche experience.
Although if he daily drove it - maybe he kept up with the maintenance?

Do you know it's service history and what's already been done?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:08 AM   #4

Hi,

so maybe you're not a mechanic now, but you'll get a good one in the future. That's the benefit of owning an older Porsche.

Congrats. Nice car and color.

Regards from Germany
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Welcome to the party, Pal!

I just bought one this year, also.

I immediately shipped her off to Jake Raby at Flat 6 Innovations and had a lot of preventative work done, including the IMS.

Highly recommended.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

I've got the same car, 2000 S. Common leaks are the spark plug tubes, if the leak is coming from either side. Leak from the center of the car, ims/rms?

Oil that you can see when you open access covers. Which cover? On top of engine or behind the seats?

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I've got the same car, 2000 S. Common leaks are the spark plug tubes, if the leak is coming from either side. Leak from the center of the car, ims/rms?

Oil that you can see when you open access covers. Which cover? On top of engine or behind the seats?

Steve
Thanks for the info. I'll pull the access cover back off and reinspect after it warms up a little bit. I'll plan on ordering new tubes along with the plugs.

The main oil i saw was from getting under the car - it was too dirty for me to really pinpoint the source at the time. I removed the top access panel (checking MAF and fuel pressure) and the back top of the engine is really dirty. I can't be sure it was oil, but dirty fluid of some sort. I don't know enough about these cars to know what other fluid could be found there.

I definitely intend to clean it up and then inspect for the source of fluid leaks.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
One of my favorite things about these cars is the way they handle. But I'm thinking - if he daily drove this car, it's got some KMs on it and age....you might want to start thinking about a suspension refresh and motor mount. Not cheap, but IMO, a must do to get the full Porsche experience.
Although if he daily drove it - maybe he kept up with the maintenance?

Do you know it's service history and what's already been done?
Regarding its history, I really think the previous owner didn't do anything other than gas, oil, one AOS replacement, and some tires. It's pretty much a 15 year old car with plenty of deferred maintenance that will keep me busy for a while.

I'm sure the suspension could use a refresh. It drives pretty nice, but I also don't have any other Porsche experience to compare it to.