Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 05:31 AM   #41
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
Kram, Need another clarification, on the Honeycomb 75mm for Maf they come in different ratios for cells. Remember which one? Seems default on website is 4:1 ratio. Gathered most parts and getting jazzed!
Yes 4:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebuck1 View Post
KRAM36 where did you order the larger pipe from and what size was it?
I to am wondering if the larger diameter exhaust pipe will give me a pick up in HP
and still provide enough back pressure. My CAT by pass is 40mm.
80mm 3 1 8" inch Aluminum Turbo Intercooler Pipe Piping Tube Tubing Straight | eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
The real problem isn't the 987 MAF or the 996, 76mm throttle body. It the stock 996 Plenum. There is a lot of engineering data some in this post.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31693-maf-throttle-body-diameter-10.html
That discuss the problem, which is the Plenum design that create a massive turbulent blockage.
Then a spin off where a members was designing a retro plenum, very similar to IPD's design. I don't know where this led after the thread died.
Intake plenum and 911 throttle body

The IPD does make this transition but the price is somewhat objectionable to some members.
The 987 MAF housing is an issue. The ECU can not read the air volume properly with the 987 MAF housing. You will get a CEL and run the car lean using it without a tune.

The 997 Distribution T has just about zero turbulence because of the generous radius it has coming off the TB tube, allowing the air to flow smoothly into the plenum.

IDP plenums are a waste of money. I had a long discussion with the guy that does the tuning at Softronic and he said never to use one. He also said not to use the 987 MAF housing as it will hinder low end performance, unless your foot is to the floor 90%, using the 987 MAF housing is a bad idea for a street car.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #42
Need For Speed

Garage
I am so in love with this car!

Got the larger air intake pipe installed today. Took her for a spin, easy go til she warmed up. The larger pipe did not hurt lower rpm or around town driveability. Then I headed for my favorite back roads. Just happen to have a new style Camaro SS pull out in front of me and the driver wanted to play. He probably isn't very happy, not only was I waiting on him through the corners, when we hit the straits, my car pulled on him. There was no place he could get away from me.

Never thought this car could hang with a Camaro SS, much less pull on one.

Ordering headers tomorrow. Already have cat delete pipes and Borla muffler sitting here waiting on the headers. Can't wait to get those on her.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post

I hear ya mate. I had a similar experience with a late model GT Mustang the other day at rolling speed, and I came away thinking "man this little crate can hold its own" after imagining the 'stang would walk on the Box. If not love, I Certainly have a bit of an unhealthy fondness for this ride.
Wulf190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #44
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf190 View Post
I hear ya mate. I had a similar experience with a late model GT Mustang the other day at rolling speed, and I came away thinking "man this little crate can hold its own" after imagining the 'stang would walk on the Box. If not love, I Certainly have a bit of an unhealthy fondness for this ride.
What Boxster do you have? Any mods?

The late model (pre Coyote engine) Mustang GT I could pull before my mods. I'm ready to try out a Coyote engine Mustang now.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #45

I have a stock 99 w/ 18" classic sports. More or less I figured, "lets see what happens when I downshift here and try to hang with this dude cuz he's obviously got his foot on the floor". I am sure off the line the Mustang would take control, but starting at highway speed, not so much
Wulf190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #46

Radium- when you did the row flash, did you need any pass codes specific to your VIN? I ask because I want to have my local Porsche Indy shop do the row ecu flash for me when I have it in for an alignment (after installing a M030 suspension).

Thx-
brewerbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #47

Radium- when you did the row flash, did you need any pass codes specific to your VIN? I ask because I want to have my local Porsche Indy shop do the row ecu flash for me when I have it in for an alignment (after installing a M030 suspension).

Thx-
brewerbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #48

yes, you will need the codes for your car. porsche dealers have them, but are wierd about giving them out. indy should be able to get them if he has a pst2 or piwis and regularly uses it (the codes are required for many of the functions you perform with the tool). i "know a guy" that got me mine for fifty bucks.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #49

So, I got all the parts to do the mod and took most everything apart but can't get the driver bank intake manifold completely out of the way. There is a metal hose that runs right thru the intake mani. It goes between upper runners and bottom flange where it meets the head. It seems I got to go by feel to replace the 3 gaskets to mani/head without mani completely out of way. Anyone experience this? What exactly is that hose/pipe? AC line, or coolant? Old air box is finally out 987 ready to go in. And Wow that new TB is quite a bit larger.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #50

I think that it is part of the aos system - it vents that head. it was a b!tch to get off so I left it there and was able to accomplish all I needed to just by shifting the intake runner over as much as was allowed by the hose. you can make more room to shoehorn the new airbox in by temporarily bending the rear left engine compartment cover tab out of the way.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #51

It also helps to lower the motor. Unbolt the front mount and jack it down a few inches. I had to do both to not mangle the box in and out.

Quote:
So, I got all the parts to do the mod and took most everything apart but can't get the driver bank intake manifold completely out of the way. There is a metal hose that runs right thru the intake mani. It goes between upper runners and bottom flange where it meets the head. It seems I got to go by feel to replace the 3 gaskets to mani/head without mani completely out of way. Anyone experience this? What exactly is that hose/pipe? AC line, or coolant? Old air box is finally out 987 ready to go in. And Wow that new TB is quite a bit larger.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #52

Kram, TRK, I'm following your build and man, the 987 airbox seems next to impossible to install. Kram I copied your use of retaining the buckle snaps on small end of box but even with both left engine cover retainer bent up out of way I'm having problems. If I start pushing front end down and in the flange buckles tend to hit oil cooler. Did you have to fight this bloody thing to go in? Also did you guys retain all 3 mounting points for box? I'm thinking of just cutting the very front one and use 2. The intake manifold and fuel rail are both out of the way albeit limited by hard pipe that runs through it. I know you guys made it work so what am I missing here? Please advise as once it's in its downhill for me. Thanks do I need to lower the engine mounts now? Ugh.

Last edited by Lapister; 06-18-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #53

Bang for buck

Kram, Did you have to remove your oil cooler? Lower your engine mounts? Mines 02 and should not be any different than 03.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #54

Ok, So thru diligence I took the intake runner completely out via disconnecting Aos hard line. That gave me more room but not enough. Had to really bend the engine cover points on body and it finally fell in there. So relieved now as I think this is the hardest job.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #55
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Kram, Did you have to remove your oil cooler? Lower your engine mounts? Mines 02 and should not be any different than 03.
I did not.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #56
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Ok, So thru diligence I took the intake runner completely out via disconnecting Aos hard line. That gave me more room but not enough. Had to really bend the engine cover points on body and it finally fell in there. So relieved now as I think this is the hardest job.
Definitely the biggest hurdle.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #57

Kram, TRK, Thanks to you guys and various others on the forum I completed the mod in 3 days. The biggest hurdle is infact the 987 airbox install. Just took a spin around the neighborhood and although the ECU is still probably adjusting it was a spirited run. Seems to be missing just a bit of gusto off line but maybe that is due to the elimination of the Hemholz chamber. Other than that it is returning favorable punch throughout the rpm range. It seems to be more linear in performance now. To the other wrenchers, this is definitely a cost effective way to add some power, yes there were moments of disgust and a lot of cussing but in the end all worth it. Persevere and you will be rewarded. Make sure when disassembling the intake runner mani to cover the openings so nothing falls in. The AOS connection that cuts thru the runners can be connected from front engine access too. Just one more thing, the Aos connection on new dist-t is in a different position. I made the Aos connection there but disconnected at the Aos and ran a short length of tubing to connect the extra distance the hose needs.

Last edited by Lapister; 06-21-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #58

i used a heat gun and was able to get the oem aos hose to work. glad the project worked out for you.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post

Got the larger air intake pipe installed today. Took her for a spin, easy go til she warmed up. The larger pipe did not hurt lower rpm or around town driveability. Then I headed for my favorite back roads. Just happen to have a new style Camaro SS pull out in front of me and the driver wanted to play. He probably isn't very happy, not only was I waiting on him through the corners, when we hit the straits, my car pulled on him. There was no place he could get away from me.

Never thought this car could hang with a Camaro SS, much less pull on one.

Ordering headers tomorrow. Already have cat delete pipes and Borla muffler sitting here waiting on the headers. Can't wait to get those on her.
How do you like your Borla back cat exhaust system? I'm just ordered mine and I'm having buyers remorse.
Davidwstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #60

Garage
Thank you, kram and all the others who have contributed to this and other threads that deal with this topic. I have already purchased the 987 airbox, TB, and Y connector. However, I am confused when you talk about the MAF housing. I understand you must use the stock 986 housing and MAF sensor but don't understand when you say you put the 986 housing into the 987 housing so you can clip it on?? I am not getting a visual? also, somewhere in these threads there is discussion regarding a e49 5 series BMW MAF housing?? Can someone explain and add pics if possible? Also, has anyone done this mod without removing the Left intake manifold? Can the airbox be removed/installed by just lowering the engine?