Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #1

The Boxster "Affair"

Figured to share my story here in the acquisition of my first Porsche since others might find themselves in a similar position.

I am 47, a middle school science teacher with German family heritage. Like every other kid in high school, I dreamed of a 911 with the whale tail. Throughout the years I have owned a few nice rides, of which, only maybe 1 or 2 seemed approaching exactly what I was looking for at the time. I have had a chance to drive a few Porsche's over the years, a 928, 944 and a liquid cooled 911. I loved all of them but figured owning one was really just never practical or was just plain out of reach financially.

So a few months ago, I get tired of paying to fix my PT Cruiser convertible while it continues to depreciate, and while on the way home from work I see an 03 987 sitting on a dealer lot, and thought, MAN, that's a nice ride, I am SO pulling in there to check it out. Knowing I shouldn't, I take it for a spin....BAD idea. I knew it would be nice, but I honestly had no idea I would be as impressed as I was. Bummed, I knew this one was out of my $$ range but I immediately saw why they were rated so highly as a used car. I honestly liked it better than the 911 I had driven several years ago. Knowing my wife's likely response to my endeavor, I avoid telling her of my experience for a few days, but finally spill it out and it meets the exact reception I thought it would. So, bummer for me, I accept my fate that it won't happen. But, I just can't leave well enough alone, and I find myself thinking, "I know I could get this done for less $", so I keep poking around quietly trying to find one that might be more acceptable. A couple cars of test-driving later, I run into a 99 Ocean Blue Metallic with Sport Classic 18" wheels on it in beautiful shape on the other side of town and buckle, knowing I would forever regret it if I DIDN'T exchange for the relatively low price that it could be done at. Basically, just drive home with it and roll the dice on what's going to happen at home....NOT a good idea.

So, now I am in a fix....every time I get in this car, I think, "MAN, this is a fantastic machine". I love it more and more with each mile I put on. I want to work on it, do small things, and I find myself in conflict with my wife, who simply refuses to get in it, or to accept my fascination with it. Again, Bummer for me. There are SO many things that argue against the practicality of the car as a daily driver for me. But, for every argument against, I find that there is a counter point to suit that argument and that I see myself owning like 5 more of these things in the future. Never been in this spot with a car before. So, I am caught in the Porsche web that it seems like no one but myself and those here on the forum might understand. I wish it were different, but I find myself staring out my window looking at the car in my driveway thinking, "Don't I have to go SOMEwhere today?"

Mike

Wulf190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #2

Many of us have similar stories. The details vary, but the motivations and feelings are the same.

I expect that the majority of people on this board are not the original owners of their 986's. The population that buys these cars "pre-owned" may have other priorities for spending their resources. Although the 986 is not the newest and best performing Porsche, it is still far ahead of most other vehicles on the road. You didn't say what you spent on your car, but I doubt it was much more than the cost of a used compact car. Remember that someone probably spent over $45k for that car when it was new.

I usually make one or two upgrades or repairs to my car each year. The technical support and affirmation that I have received and that you can expect on this board are invaluable.

We understand you. Enjoy your car.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #3

Garage
What is it with science teachers having nice cars? (Walter whites Aztec excluded)

Enjoy the car! We would love to see some pictures!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #4

Garage
Many years ago I owned a Harley Sportster that I bought brand new when I was single. It had custom gold leaf and pinstriped paint with the Harley Eagle sissy bar. I put chrome drag pipes on it and rode it to Mexico and had leather hand tooled saddle bags with the Harley Eagle made for it. I loved riding it and made up things to do just to get on it.
After a couple of years owning it I got married and my new wife didn't like the bike. It was too loud and too dangerous for her and she wouldn't go near it. I finally gave in and sold the bike and bought her a nice ring with the money from the sale.
Our marriage didn't last and now she's gone and so's the bike and I sure do miss that bike.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #5

Garage
I LOVE my wife

As I was clicking through literally hundreds of used Miatas, looking for my 5th one, I was doing a search for convertibles within 100 miles of me and I lingered on the photo of an Arena Red '98 that I was drooling over. My wife looks over my shoulder and says, "Wow, that's a fine looking car - what is it?" I explain what it is and she says, "Get it if you can!".

So I did.

Fast forward a few weeks and we're sitting in it waiting for a light to go green. She says, "That guy in the car next to us is staring at me." To which I reply, "Baby, he's not looking at you - - he's looking at the CAR!"

A week later when she starts talking to me again, we have a good laugh about whether I love the car more than I love her.
ugatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #6

Just spent an hour up at the car wash doing it all by hand. Man those wheels are a PITA to clean, but they are the exact ones I wanted on there.

$ wise...hard to estimate maybe since I traded vs. buying it outright, but all in, probably somewhere around 9k...Of the four that I drove, this one was the cheapest and the oldest, but it will still do WAY more than I am willing to try behind the wheel. I have "tested it" enough to determine that much.

Has the mid level sound package which I will likely upgrade, cruise, heated seats (which work awesome btw), a fresh top, and a pretty fresh set of PS2's all around. It will eventually need me to do some wrenching on it, like rotors, brake pads, etc...but all cars will need that, and I have discovered that parts don't always have to be as crazy expensive as I thought they might be, thanks to the forums here.

Here's some pics from the online ad....

Old 12-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Many years ago I owned a Harley Sportster that I bought brand new when I was single. It had custom gold leaf and pinstriped paint with the Harley Eagle sissy bar. I put chrome drag pipes on it and rode it to Mexico and had leather hand tooled saddle bags with the Harley Eagle made for it. I loved riding it and made up things to do just to get on it.
After a couple of years owning it I got married and my new wife didn't like the bike. It was too loud and too dangerous for her and she wouldn't go near it. I finally gave in and sold the bike and bought her a nice ring with the money from the sale.
Our marriage didn't last and now she's gone and so's the bike and I sure do miss that bike.

ROTFL, Thanks. I needed that.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #8

I don't know, kind of seems like there may be deeper problems and she's using the car as an easy outlet. I'm no therapist but I don't think any toy is worth risking the end of real love. You may have to let go for now. It will be heart breaking every time you see someone else with one but remember, sure, they have a wife but you have a Porsche!
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #9

Well said Chris I see what you did there.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

Garage
Ah the wife

Hi wulf,

A suggestion
Google Porsche Club Of America. (PCA)
Join the local chapter Worth the small
Amount of dues. invite the wife to
A social event. In the spring take her along
To a picnic or sign you both up for a
Car Control Clinic. You can both use the
same car. Nothing special needs to be done
Really to the car other than a general safety
inspection. Just remove lose items in the car.
No helmets required. Very small fee to enter.
I bet the local club would
Very glad to help. Tell her you
Signed her up for CCC until the night
Before.

Bill
Old 12-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #11

A good thought Bill. I am discovering some of these things as I go along here in my first few months. We have a fantastic private track south of town that I have really wanted to check out. I know the PCA here does some stuff there. Problem with the wife would be first just getting her INTO the car...which has presented a hurdle such that I don't quite understand. My unilateral decision making process certainly has something to do with that fact I am thinking.

It would have been so much easier to just trade for something else and be done with it, but the longer I have spent behind the wheel, the less likely I have found myself to do that.

Here's all of the arguments and counters so far....

"it's a bad winter car"...actually it's been a great cold weather car so far
"it's expensive to own"....actually it seems like it will be less than or equal to my last car
"insurance will kill you"...actually it's 20% less than what I was paying
"you can't even work on it"...actually it's really well engineered for that
"you don't need a race car"....it's NOT a race car!!
"there's only 2 seats"...but tons of storage space and lots of leg room and I don't have kids
"it's expensive"....it's less than a poor quality compact car
"the depreciation will kill you"....however it works out, it will cost me less in depreciation than my last 3 cars have.
"you have to use premium gas"....it gets great mileage
"tire cost alone will kill you"....they are likely to be replaced in pairs, and I don't drive much

the list goes on.

M.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #12

Garage
Boxster affair

Great reads,
Laughed and cried. I too have the Affair. Fortunately my wife understands
2000 S speed Yellow
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #13

Garage
Additional thoughts

I once knew a man eighty plus years old. We both
Horseback rode. Horseback riding has certain dangers.
Anyway the gentleman's wife was always on his case
About riding. Finally she gave him a choice
It was her or riding. He chose riding. She left
But did come back after a time. I danced with
A women who's husband left her because of
Our dancing. He never came back. We're still
Very good friends. She told me she discovered
He wanted to control her, and never did love
Her. And he didn't want her to enjoy the things
She enjoyed. We all make choices.

I have found if I don't do something
That is important and I enjoy (the boxster)
I always remember it and ask what if.
Enjoy the boxster. I plan on using my
Except in the worst of weather year round.

In the spring or sooner. Tell your wife
The Porsche needs driven. I'am going to Starbucks.
You want to come ?

Good luck,

Bill
Attached Images

Last edited by Jinx; 12-21-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #14

I knew it might benefit me to "seek some guidance" from those who know. Thanks bill. I am sure this is something that one just has to "work through" I would have taken you up on the Starbucks offer but I already went out this morning for one and took the completely unnecessary route with the winding up and down S curve on the way. But with no passenger there's no one or nothing to hold the cup except me. I have simply adapted with a better coffee tumbler :dance:
Old 12-22-2014, 04:53 AM   #15

Garage
Your car sure looks clean. I have the same tires on my 996. they're nice and quiet with decent grip. I bought my car off my bucket list and have not looked back - 5 months and 6000 miles later.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #16
On the slippery slope

Garage
Just wait until the wife wants a Porsche of her own.
Now mine hardly ever lets me drive "her" 996 Targa
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf190 View Post
Just spent an hour up at the car wash doing it all by hand. Man those wheels are a PITA to clean, but they are the exact ones I wanted on there.
I have the same wheels and absolutely love them, it took me a year to find a nice used set so consider yourself lucky that they came with the car! I bought a little brush from Walmart that fits perfectly between the openings and I use Griots wheel cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit a few minutes then follow up with the brush and a soft car wash sponge. I get mine done rather quickly and the wheels make it all worth it every time I stare at them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf190 View Post
I knew it might benefit me to "seek some guidance" from those who know. Thanks bill. I am sure this is something that one just has to "work through" I would have taken you up on the Starbucks offer but I already went out this morning for one and took the completely unnecessary route with the winding up and down S curve on the way. But with no passenger there's no one or nothing to hold the cup except me. I have simply adapted with a better coffee tumbler :dance:
Get a pair of these cup holders BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars. They are a little expensive but well worth it! I just got back from Starbucks

Your wife is probably thinking mid life you know what. She thinks you are going to run off with some 20 year old with your gold chains etc Take the advice of joining PCA and go to some events. There are usually happy hour events, lunch and of course driving events. She will soon see that Porsche people are just normal people who have a strong love of their cars. She will meet some great people including women who also love their cars. My wife was not happy at first either, now she says "let's go for a drive!" She loves the sound of the exhaust when ever we go through a tunnel, as do I

Good luck and welcome to the forum! There is a lot of excellent information and advice here and the people are great!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #18

Cupholders and beverages along with grub are a no no in my Porsche. Not worth the risk of soiling the interior.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Cupholders and beverages along with grub are a no no in my Porsche. Not worth the risk of soiling the interior.

Trust zee Germans. Since the car has no cup holders I keep drinks out of the car.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Trust zee Germans. Since the car has no cup holders I keep drinks out of the car.
For sure no food...and I try to finish the coffee before getting back in the car. Plus, it's a long reach up to the window when going through the drive through

The interior is indeed in good nick. I did have to spend several hours on the seats, but got them into nice condition also. In all of my other cars I have seemed to develop a "pile of stuff" accumulated throughout the interior of the car. In this one, the only thing ever in the car is my pair of sunglasses. Strange?

I noticed the sport classic 18" wheels And PS2's were a pricy option..they have probably been refurbed at some point as they are remarkably fresh. I got a nice brush for them too, but washing weekly they don't get too filthy. There is the downside of no more automatic washing..no worries, the do it yourself one is closer.

Of course I would like to get rid of the amber lenses, replace center caps, and a whole bunch of other stuff, but it would be wise for me to keep some humility about these things for a while I think. Love your rides..keep them coming.