Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #1

Chinese Double Din Fitted

Hi,

after reading the thread that was started by jb92563 when he fitted a Chinese double din head unit,I decided you go down the same route.

I used the Connects 2 cage and facia.
The head unit is bigger than the facia plate which meant I had to increase the opening by 6mm but it fits neat and the head unit works well.

john

John Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #2

Garage
That's great! Can you give specifics as to what parts you had to buy to install. Where did you get the head unit? I have been thinking about doing the same thing but was concerned about head unit performance. Did you install yourself? did you update speakers too? I was going to update the speakers first then the head unit. A little at a time $$$$
Old 06-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #3

Looks good. Been thinking about doing the same. Whats the glare like on the screen with the top down? Is it still viewable?
Dosverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes, details please
I've been wanting to do this mod for a while.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #5

I bought the head unit on Ebay for £140.00 and the Connects 2 fitting kit for £35.00.

I had top move the air con controls down which was easy ( Original facia trim from design911.co.uk for £4.95) I installed the gps antenna myself under the alarm cover in the centre of the dash.....fits perfectly so must be a standard size.

I friend who has a car hi fi company fitted the cage ( secured with screws) and head unit for £30..........my car had a bog standard stereo with no Bose , Most or amps so it it was simply a case of pluging in the unit with no modification except earthing the handbrake lead so the DVDs can be played on the move!

No speakers were changed.

The unit works well, radio is good, the Igo8 sat nav is really quite good and you can have it on screen when music is playing.....
Bright sunlight shining directly on it does affect it but no more than any screen I have seen.

The Connects 2 facia bezel was too small to fit the head unit so I had to increase the height of the opening by 6mm ( I am a signmaker so did this on my laser cutter)

I am not a Hi Fi buff so no doubt there are plenty of people who could pick fault with it ..............I am not one for spending large amounts on car Hi Fi, for the cost I am really happy with it.

John
Old 06-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

Very nice! My '02 Boxster S still has the in-dash cassette deck and trunk changer, with no Aux-in for my smartphone, which is my primary music source these days. I considered a new stereo to add bluetooth, but I went with a much lazier and inelegant approach:

Mister Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #7

Link

To availability ......eBay perhaps ?
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #8

Yes......I bought both the unit and fitting kit on EBay.

John
Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #9

Real live Nav ?

Some Of the ones I looked at only had a disk with Google Maps and not real li9ve Nav.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #10

Mine came with Igo 8.......I am currently touring in Europe and the Sat Nav is very good compared to Tomtom which I have used before.

John
Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 AM   #11

Garage
How difficult was it to wire up? Did you get an adapter kit to wire it up? also what year is your car?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #12

Wiring one up

This would be the easiest thing to do compared to physically fitting one in the car. IM sure you would use an adapter plug (avaliable at Crutchfield or almost anywhere) so the OEM wiring would no be touched....should be almost plug and play as far as wiring up goes.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #13

Why there are no harness for this deck set-up after 15 years?

Dwight, is that not your fault?

Aren't those connectors not all the same on these aftermarket decks? One would just need to find the conn type that Porsche is using and trick a harness for the decks. Just guessing here...
Old 07-30-2014, 06:39 AM   #14

This Multimedia panel looks rather good John
Old 07-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #15

SImple answer, but the adapter plug from Crutchfield or someone like

Porsche Boxster Aftermarket Radio Installation Wiring Harness Antenna Adapter | eBay

or

2001 Porsche Boxster Stereo Installation at ****************************************

And wire the adapter to the plug that came with the Double DIN unit...couldn't be easier. If anyone wants one done , soldered and heat shrink send me your plugs and I will do it for a song....I'm still out of work

Dwight
Old 07-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #16

Why can't you pull off sthg like below example. A universal adapter for PORSCHE 986/996 for let's say Pioneer, Alpine, ect, whatever brand is HOT atm.

Just go to the aftermarket radio shop and snap pics of the manufacturer's connector and put 3~4 different type of adapeters together for the crowd (Plug&Play man). Can't believe there is a hundred diff adapters for each deck manufacturer?

(thread hijack lol)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #17

Garage
just found this on ebay

Aftermarket Car Stereo Radio Wiring Harness Porsche 1787 Wire Adapter Plug | eBay
Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #18

"Matching EIA Color Codes". Hmmm nice find. So it looks like there is a standard conn type/colour code for the aftermarket decks. Didn't know, was just asking.

Still, I'd prefer buying Dwight's harness instead. Ohmed, quality copper (USA!), shielded wraps, solid welds.... I'd pay for this
Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
...wire the adapter to the plug that came with the Double DIN unit...couldn't be easier.

Dwight
You are having a laugh mate. took me a full day to hook up my deck into that boxster. Not including having to lookup PINOUTs for the car, dbl-making sure each colors, match to aftermarket, welds (god I xux at that), wrapping, tape... hrrrrrr
Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
"Matching EIA Color Codes". Hmmm nice find. So it looks like there is a standard conn type/colour code for the aftermarket decks. Didn't know, was just asking.

Still, I'd prefer buying Dwight's harness instead. Ohmed, quality copper (USA!), shielded wraps, solid welds.... I'd pay for this
Many Thanks for the kind words

Dwight