Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

Offroading, camping, and other things you shouldn't do in a boxster

Despite having much more appropriate vehicles available the girl friend and I decided to take the Boxster on a fly fishing, camping, brewery trip out in the Blue Ridge Parkway. Having owned a few small sports cars I think one of the most under appreciated things about the Boxster is that you can fit a lot in it, and if your willing you can also fit more...on it. Here are some highlights

The thing about camping is you need twice as many things as you think you need. The fronk and trunk quickly filled up and the rest of the gear had to strapped the to the roll bars. I learned this trick last year when I had to take an 8ft Christmas tree home, since then I've strapped all kinds of things onto the roof. It was also a little cold so the girlfriend did some wrapping up

We had a great trip down, weather couldn't have been better

Luckily Richmond is a quick 1.5 hours away from the Blue Ridge Parkway, once we arrived we dropped everything off except the fishing gear and head out to the mountains

Not too bad for a sports car!

Another beautiful drive

Got a little side tracked at the first brewery

Despite being on autocross tires we ended up with some light offroading to a flyfishing hole.

Got a little more sidetracked

Oddly enough there was a scooter party at our campsite with a live band, moonshine and all kinds of shenanigans. We got busted for crashing their party but then it turns out that I welded the "president" of the scooter clubs moped together a few months ago so everything went well.

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #2

Great pics !!

I'm doing yard work at the moment , and the topless boxster has been a godsend for 6' long items from Home Depot .
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #3

is that a coleman tent? i just bought one of those from costco for a camping vw show next weekend and i really hope its fits in the rear of the boxster!
koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
is that a coleman tent? i just bought one of those from costco for a camping vw show next weekend and i really hope its fits in the rear of the boxster!
In fact its a Coleman tent from Costco, it fit very easily in the back. Goodluck getting back in its bag though.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #5

hahah so long as it fits in the back thats good enough for me! i can worry about getting it in the bag after the show:P
dont think i'll have as much other stuff as yourself though!
koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #6

I ran up to Lowe's and of course had to take the Boxster top down. Loved being able to store my goodies in the frunk!