Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Track rat

Garage
Garage build gone wild!

For those that missed the other thread I thought I would share this. It is the most recent incarnation of a carefully planned, uber-organized and built out garage/workshop for cars and general property maintenance. Perhaps it will spark some winter project ideas for those of you in the great white north. He did this on the cheap.

The garage owner is a SoCal Porsche guy with a passion for race tracks and his 1972 911 is as well outfitted as the garage it lives in. He is a screenwriter who works tight deadlines during projects and then has a lot of time on his hands between films. When I first saw this my initial thoughts went to some Hitchcock serial-homicide character. As far as I know Jack hasn't killed anyone.

Enjoy the tour:
http://12-gaugegarage.com/

Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Top always down...

Nice, lots of great ideas there that I can use. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

The server with the web page on it sends me reports of hit sources. Suddenly, the thing lit up with Boxster visitors. Thanks for taking a look!

I had a photographer come out from a French magazine earlier this week, so the place got cleaned up. Here's how it looks now.

And here's an in-use picture, which I like because it's a reminder of why our boxer-style motors contribute to such a low center of gravity.

Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #4

Beautiful workspace...I can only dream!

I would like to know about your car!!! This is exactly what I want to build one day! Looks like a modern motor..
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Jack, as many have said, your garage is beautiful. Thank you for posting the pics and developing the webpage. What I like most about this is the simplistic approach to putting truly functional yet old school garage features that most people would love in their place. Well done!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Thanks for stopping in Jack. We gotta go driving some time... Buttonwillow Nov. 2nd,3rd & 4th?? Test & Tune, TT & PCA Club Race. I think Jae Lee can give you a run for it in his similar car.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #7

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Thanks for stopping in Jack. We gotta go driving some time... Buttonwillow Nov. 2nd,3rd & 4th?? Test & Tune, TT & PCA Club Race. I think Jae Lee can give you a run for it in his similar car.
I won't be at Buttonwillow, but I'll be at Willow Springs on the 14th of November.

I've driven with Jae, and I think I can easily beat him on any track in California -- so long as I drive his car and he drives mine. (They're 'similar' only in that they're both based on widebody early 911s. Mine's a daily driver. His is a track car.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Beautiful workspace...I can only dream!

I would like to know about your car!!! This is exactly what I want to build one day! Looks like a modern motor..
It's a 1972 tub. It's got brakes from an 86 Turbo. Transaxle is a magnesium 1977 with close-ratio gears. Engine is a 1995, unmodified. Suspension is, well, modified -- but not in an expensive way. (Bilstein shocks in back. JRZ single-adjustables in front. But mounting points and some of the component dimensions have been changed.) All of the mods are at this link: www.pelicanparts.com/bb2

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 10-27-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #8

Garage
I took time to peruse your garage and 911, have to say top notch! It's giving me a few ideas for my garage in our new home. As for the 911, fantastic. My dream build some day is an RS tribute, also for daily driving. But for now I'm loving the hell out of the Boxster.

Cheers Jack!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #9

Do your garage before you move into your new house. I made the mistake of waiting and now we have so much stuff in there I not sure how I'm gonna do it, but having seen this , I'm gonna figure out a way.

Last edited by Skrapmot; 10-29-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #10

Thanks very much, guys.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
"Love what you've done with the place!"

The lift is ingenious, the tile work impeccable. I have NO DOUBT this is the perfect place for ANY Porsche. Do you have problems keeping the white tile and grout clean? Might have gone with stained concrete, shaped like tiles, but the jack bed and ultimately "the hidden shop behind the scene" is PERFECTION!

Why can't I buy any homes with this stuff done? I did buy a house from a paint and body guy, bunch of stuff went to the dump. Got a few paint guns and such….but nobody leaves a jack like that behind! Did you have a problem with foundation shifting, since you cut a hole through the slab?

This is the type of stuff they need a show for like, "Better Homes and Garages".

Keep up the good work.
Mark
a.k.a. Homeboy981 - cause I buy a lot of homes.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #12

Thanks, Mark. The tiles hold up really well because the glazed surface is non-porous. So when I spilled a bunch of oil yesterday during an oil change, I didn't have to worry about any spots being left behind. It wipes up easily with a paper towel or a shop rag. If I hit it with a spritz of 409, it's squeaky clean again. The grout is a different story, which is why I went with a dark brown. I'm sure the grout covered with oil and transmission fluid stains -- since I'm a guy who knocks over quarts of oil when he's doing an oil change -- but you'd never be able to find the spots, because it's pretty much impossible to stain dark brown.

The oil change is a good example of how handy the lift it. With my 1972 oil console and 993 motor, there's one filter up above and one filter tucked down below the engine. There are also two different drain plugs to open, clean and re-torque. Everything is easy to reach when you can raise the car up or lower it back down without having to give it a thought. There's only one place to park the car, and that means it's always positioned to go up on the lift.

I took the car out after the oil change yesterday and went in this morning to check for any leaks. I was carrying my one-year-old daughter the whole time, and was able to check from above and below without ever having to set the girl down. I lifted and lowered the car instead.

(By the way, don't tell my wife about the baby being out in the garage. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
"Love what you've done with the place!"

The lift is ingenious, the tile work impeccable. I have NO DOUBT this is the perfect place for ANY Porsche. Do you have problems keeping the white tile and grout clean? Might have gone with stained concrete, shaped like tiles, but the jack bed and ultimately "the hidden shop behind the scene" is PERFECTION!

Why can't I buy any homes with this stuff done? I did buy a house from a paint and body guy, bunch of stuff went to the dump. Got a few paint guns and such….but nobody leaves a jack like that behind! Did you have a problem with foundation shifting, since you cut a hole through the slab?

This is the type of stuff they need a show for like, "Better Homes and Garages".

Keep up the good work.
Mark
a.k.a. Homeboy981 - cause I buy a lot of homes.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Thanks!

I won't be at Buttonwillow, but I'll be at Willow Springs on the 14th of November.

I've driven with Jae, and I think I can easily beat him on any track in California -- so long as I drive his car and he drives mine. (They're 'similar' only in that they're both based on widebody early 911s. Mine's a daily driver. His is a track car.)

It's a 1972 tub. It's got brakes from an 86 Turbo. Transaxle is a magnesium 1977 with close-ratio gears. Engine is a 1995, unmodified. Suspension is, well, modified -- but not in an expensive way. (Bilstein shocks in back. JRZ single-adjustables in front. But mounting points and some of the component dimensions have been changed.) All of the mods are at this link: www.pelicanparts.com/bb2
love your Porsche. Can't believe that's a 72! It's beautiful! Proves the timeless beauty of Porsches.

Your garage is amazing, you'd make Iron Man proud.
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

I know it's an old thread. But my garage (and Porsche) just got a video made about them -- so I'm kind of psyched. The web site is called Petrolicious, and if you've got nine minutes free, click on the image below to watch the video.

And let me know what you think.

Link.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Track rat

Garage
Nice vid Jack. Between you, Magnus Walker, Jay Leno, and many others we are developing a very interesting and personalized Porsche culture here in SoCal.

Porsche Escape is coming to LA in October and we might just need to add the 12 Gauge Garage to the tour.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #16

Garage
Great video Jack! Loved hearing the sound of your car! Great car, great garage! What more is there to say? I only can dream of my garage being that organized.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #17

Well done Jack. Hobby wise I am striving for the things you have handily accomplished. I am very much struggling with the multi mission car concept at the moment. Perhaps it's because I haven't fully accepted the impermanence of life yet.....also I live in a place that has some nasty weather ....-15C right now!