Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #1

Wind deflector pictures wanted

Hello, does anyone have pictures of their wind deflectors that they can post? I've seen several on here, across several threads, but hoping for some more input.

The one that I have evidently blew out at some point with the PO. It is badly gouged and has tar on it. I've tried locally to have a replacement made, but no luck at several glass/plexiglass shops. I am not willing to pay the price for the OEM replacement. My wife and I are planning to take a road trip in a couple of weeks, and since she doesn't like the blow-back, I've got to get this sorted or I'll be taking the trip with the top up!

I'm currently very interested in the product from King Penn Industries (Dynamic Auto Concepts - Your source for high-end Wind Restrictor™s for roadsters), so if anyone else has one of theirs, I'd love to see pictures. I'm trying to decide between etched and non-etched, and between smoke tinted and non-tinted. I am not the type to "pimp my ride", so to speak, and while it doesn't really seem like their smoked & etched product is overly blingy (unlike their light kits!!), its difficult to tell from the pictures on their site, as they definitely seem to market toward the Fast & Furious crowd.

Lastly, I see that most of the aftermarket solutions require use of the OEM frame. My current frame rattles at speed. I am planning to order new clips from Suncoast and am confident that I can get the rattle out, but does anyone know how difficult it is to get the existing Lexan out of the frame? I can't really see how to do with without potentially destroying the frame.

Thanks for any advice and/or pictures!

Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #2

Oh, one last item: Does anyone know where I can purchase the storage bag for this? Mine did not have one when I bought the car. I've thought of making my own, but my sewing skill are extremely poor, to say the least. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #3

Garage
Here is one from King Penn Industries that I picked up a couple years ago (They went by another name then) while they were giving discounts to members of this forum.

It is tinted and just had the word PORSCHE etched into it.
Fits well and has been no problems with it.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
Here is one from King Penn Industries that I picked up a couple years ago (They went by another name then) while they were giving discounts to members of this forum.

It is tinted and just had the word PORSCHE etched into it.
Fits well and has been no problems with it.

Thank you for that picture! That really looks sharp. How did you get the old piece out of the bracket?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #5

Garage
If I remember correctly the top tab on each side is removed and the screen slides out,
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
Hi devact.
I have an OEM one for sale.
Pm me if you are interested.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Hi devact.
I have an OEM one for sale.
Pm me if you are interested.
Thanks, Meir. I ordered one from windrestrictor.com about 1 hour before you sent this. I'm sure that someone would want it, though.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #8

Garage
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #9

King Penn Industries wind deflector

Thanks all for the pictures. As a follow up to my original post, I received the deflector from King Oenn Industries yesterday along with new clips from Suncoast. The new deflector appears to be of high quality, and the smoked tint is beautiful. Fit into the frame perfectly, and the new clips seem to have eliminated the rattle that I had previously. It's been pouring here, so I haven't been able to verify that, though. KPI got me the new part in less that one week from the day I ordered it, and I couldn't be happer!

Now, anyone have the storage bag they want to sell?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #10

Garage
Was worried that the decal would block the view out the back but it just looks like it is lightly etched in the mirror itself ... Looks really good.

Just remember to fit it the right way round ... Saw one where the logo was fitted so both from the back of the car and in the rear view mirror the image was reversed.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devact View Post
Oh, one last item: Does anyone know where I can purchase the storage bag for this? Mine did not have one when I bought the car. I've thought of making my own, but my sewing skill are extremely poor, to say the least. Thanks.
They regularly turn up on ebay here in the UK. That's where I got mine.

Last edited by hossuk; 09-01-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Awful spelling
hossuk is offline   Reply With Quote