Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #1

The replacement

A month ago my wife was coming home from work in our silver 01 Miata LS and was hit by a bigger American car which totalled the Miata. She's doing fine now but despite some minor injuries she was more mad that our convertible was gone! This was our second Miata and when we first started looking for a fun car we were immediately drawn, or maybe I was, to the classic curvy two-seater sportscar. I always liked the Miata and wanted to get a Flyin Miata turbo and other enhancements but just never got around to it. So, I enjoyed the handling and lived with the power deficit - at least it kept me out of trouble.

So, after considering minivans for a replacement (I fly R/C airplanes and have trouble getting them in the Camry much less the Miata!) we saw a Boxster at Carmax. After thoroughly researching them here and elsewhere on the web I wanted a test drive!

So, after about 2 weeks of checking out various years and options we finally settled on the nicest S is northern Virginia in our price range! It sure felt heavy at first but I love the power, handling and braking. It's like a big Miata that can outrun most sedans and vans on the road! (A... ahem.. problem with the Miata)

So anyway, here she is - I pick her up again in a day or two after a couple fixes by the dealer and a detail.

trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:13 PM   #2

Here's our old Miata in better days and post crash
Old 09-07-2005, 06:07 PM   #3

Your new Box is gorgeous.

I love the color, always have.

Best of luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #4

looks very nice

i probably should say this, because i am pretty new to this forum.
but welcome aboard, in my short experience there is so much nice people.
Porschev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #5

Ouch! on the Miata but your S will become your new love!

Your Miata looked very nice and I'm sorry it got wrecked. Never much fun but thankfully everyone is okay which is most important.

Your S looks fantastic! I noticed it has the clear side markers which are a nice touch. You might want to consider doing the headlight corners also in clear. I think the clears make a nice understated bling on the cheap.

Welcome! This is a great forum with so many very helpful people!
De-Ambered
...and lots more.
PDXBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:07 AM   #6

Excellent looking Box. I like the gearbox on my brother's Miata but I think the Boxster is quite a step up.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:34 AM   #7

my old Miata

my new S

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #8

Perfect lap, nice... my first Miata was a 94 with the flip up headlights... after I upgraded I really missed them for awhile, but I guess you have to move on.

So question, I've read the manual and all kinds of info on the web so i think I understand all the controls (took me 5 testdrives to figure out how to raise/lower the seats in Boxsters! :dance: )

But, where is the radio antenna? Is it that line straight up the center of the windscreen?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor

But, where is the radio antenna? Is it that line straight up the center of the windscreen?
Yep, you be correct. Just about every Porsche made for as far back as I can think has the antenna like that.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:32 AM   #10

in certain aspects, my old 1.8 Miata was not that big a step down from My BoxsterS. A lowered Miata with Sways, Falken Azenis and lightweight wheels
is a cornering monster. Accleration off the line at its low weight never left me thinking that the car was low on power. and do I miss filling up that tank with $20.

p.s. the number of girls/women who have oohed and ahhhed over the Boxster was not expected by me(honestly), but still apreciated!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
and do I miss filling up that tank with $20.

p.s. the number of girls/women who have oohed and ahhhed over the Boxster was not expected by me(honestly), but still apreciated!
You know, I expected the higher maintenance potential with the Boxster but the first time in my life that I pay for 3 dollar gas was the first fill up on the Boxster! How fitting! And man, you drive anything but daintily and you can watch the fuel gauge go down! :ah:

Anyway, the only ohhs and ahhs I've gotten are from my wife! It is funny the impression people have of it though. I didn't go around telling anyone but people who've seen it have told others and have shown a lot of surprise. Like "Really, you got a Porsche!" and "I used to to think BMW was a status symbol, but a Porsche!" weird but ok, I just like it.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #12

Mmmm......Many people and family say, "You have a Porsche?" like i just dropped $100,000 on a Porsche GT3 or something. I then say, "yeah i have a boxster."

They never hear me say boxster, just ends in "Wow, you have a Porsche."

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #13

at the local autocross/track clubs (we have many here in North Jersey: PCA, BMW, SCCA, NASA, etc.) having a Porsche is nothing because people get so used to seeing so many of them. Even I have become a bit unimpressed at seeing a $100K 911 Turbo parked next to me at an event.

Outside of this circle of sportscar people its whole different story. I rarely sit at a red light without people examining the car and making many many comments. Some even while driving. But it makes sense the other night at was at night life spot and the parking lot was full of expensive cars. I said to one of my friends
"I bet you I have the only Porsche in the lot" we looked and saw only Mercs and BMWs, a few Jags but not one other Pcar. When you think about it, aside from your racing friends how many other people do you know who own a Porsche?
I know 3, all are over 50 and mega rich.

hats off to Porsche for building a $50k car that looks like it cost allot more.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZTACO
Mmmm......Many people and family say, "You have a Porsche?" like i just dropped $100,000 on a Porsche GT3 or something. I then say, "yeah i have a boxster."

They never hear me say boxster, just ends in "Wow, you have a Porsche."

KRZ
Isn't it funny. I have people in cars that paid as much or more than I paid for mine say "Well, I'm not driving a Porsche. Things most really be going well for you." There are ford trucks that cost more than my car. It just makes me laugh.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #15

Trog - nice buy from me too. This was a color that had my wife drooling...but we Brooks Brother'd and got Seal Gray....love it too.

The other point about civilians impressions - it continues to surprise me. I have a sneaky feeling that they cannot differentiate between a new 911T and my 'old' Box. We get respect by default.

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #16

WEIRD...

Today I was driving back to work from having had lunch at home and stopped at a light. I heard some people talking in an SUV next to me saying something about that's my car, look at the roll bar and side markers... turns out its the original owner who lives in the same town!

I have his number from one of the copies of the maintenance records so he said to give him a call for more history. I think I will this weekend.

small world.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor
WEIRD...

Today I was driving back to work from having had lunch at home and stopped at a light. I heard some people talking in an SUV next to me saying something about that's my car, look at the roll bar and side markers... turns out its the original owner who lives in the same town!

I have his number from one of the copies of the maintenance records so he said to give him a call for more history. I think I will this weekend.

small world.
Wow, what are the chances... unless he's messing with you.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #18

50K for a Box or 100K+ for a Turbo...Porsche's are just damn GORGEOUS! Park it next to a 911 and people are always going to be drawn to the Box.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote