Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
New Brake Look

Hi All,

I decided to brighten my brakes to contrast with my dark wheels. I think I achieved my goal with painted calipers and cross-drilled rotors.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #2

I have always wanted to paint my callipers Red. Was it pretty easy to take them off and have them painted? About how much did i cost you to have them painted?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Sweet, very sweet!

Nice job!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #4

Looks fantastic! I like the contrast you were looking for. Way to go!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoBoxster
I have always wanted to paint my callipers Red. Was it pretty easy to take them off and have them painted? About how much did i cost you to have them painted?
It was pretty easy as a diy. I used Foliatec, which was German made. Instructions are fairly easy to follow. Took me around 4 hours, I had to let each caliper dry for about 30 mins before I can replace each tire and let it sit for 24 hours and you're set. Then I bought a heat treated vinyl stickers and presto your set. Stay away from the spray type you can buy at Pep Boys.
joeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #6

@ddb what car do you have a S or not?
if not wich rotors did you buy?
they look very good!
jpcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #7

great job, buying the S/911 brakes would have been much more expensive.
Try getting some shiny chrome lug nuts. I think it will bring out the black of the wheels a bit more.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Thanks all for the compliments.

WoBoxster:

I used a Duplicolor Caliper Paint kit purchased from Autozone for $15. It came with the paint, mixing stick, paint brush, tape, and aerosol brake cleaner. It is really designed to be used with the calipers on the car. I wanted to clean the calipers thoroughly before painting so I removed them from the car for prep and paint. The calipers are held on with 2 bolts and are very easy to remove. You have to disconnect the brake line and remove the pads and hardware and you are ready to go. This also gave me a perfect opportunity to flush and replace the brake fluid.

jpcolin: My car is a standard 2000 Boxster. The rotors are Zimmerman purchased off of EBAY.

Perfectlap: I've seen some chrome lugs on EBAY and have thought about buying a set. I will probably pull the trigger at some point and see how they look. The problem with the painted black lugs is keeping the paint on while tightening. I have a soft socket (that I broke while torquing them yesterday) that helps, but doesn't totally prevent damaging the paint.

ddb
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #9

are those really Zimmermans? they look really great!
Do you have a picture of the front rotors also?
how mouch did you paid them ?
do you have a zimmerman part number for these?
I thougt there where as much "holes" on the zimmermans than the stock boxster S rotors apparently I was wrong!
Old 08-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Hi jpcolin,

I think they're really Zimmermanns. "Zimmermann" is on the rotors and the box as well as "Made in Germany" and the part numbers. They also have minimum thickness specs on the rotors.

I paid $356 USD including delivery for all four. The rotors have been zinc coated for rust prevention and a shinier appearance. I don't think the coating will last forever, but they will look good for awhile hopefully.

I'm not sure about the configuration or quantity of the holes. They are chamfered. I don't know if Zimmermann actually does the cross drilling or if this is done by another company. It is my understanding that no standard Boxsters came with cross drilled rotors. If anyone can shed any light on this please let us know.

I looked on the boxes this evening and found the following part numbers:

Front - (Original) 98635240105 - Zimmermann - 460.1523.00

Rear - (Original) 98635240104 - Zimmermann - 460.1524.00

Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the fronts.

ddb
Old 08-17-2005, 10:22 PM   #11

@ddb, thank you for the info!
do the front rotors look like the rear one? I mean do they have as many holes?
would it be possible to take a picture of the front (don'tneed to remove the wheel!)
thank you

Last edited by jpcolin; 08-18-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #12
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
jpcolin,

Yes, the front rotors look exactly like the rears (with the exception of the diameter being larger). I will take some pictures this weekend and post them Saturday or Sunday.

ddb
Old 08-18-2005, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
jpcolin,

Yes, the front rotors look exactly like the rears (with the exception of the diameter being larger). I will take some pictures this weekend and post them Saturday or Sunday.

ddb
Thanks ddb, realy kind of you!
btw did you use the porsche stickers they sell on renntech?
I did but having it done about 5 month ago, the front look a bit shady, little grey brown probably due to the heat. the rear looks like new.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #14
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
jpcolin:

As promised here are a few pics featuring my front rotors. I apologize for the crusty looking tires. The whole car is due for a serious detail. I'm waiting for the temperature to drop from the 100 degree F. range.

I purchased my stickers from a vendor on EBAY (www.xenonmods.com). Please post some pics of your car. I would love to see your calipers and car.

ddb

Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
jpcolin:

As promised here are a few pics featuring my front rotors. I apologize for the crusty looking tires. The whole car is due for a serious detail. I'm waiting for the temperature to drop from the 100 degree F. range.

I purchased my stickers from a vendor on EBAY (www.xenonmods.com). Please post some pics of your car. I would love to see your calipers and car.

ddb

Hi ddb,
thank for the pictures, your calipers and rotors look really great, looks like a S , I think one of these months I'm gonna buy these rotors also!
For the weather you'r luky, I would like the temperature to rise and the rain to stop!
I'l post some pics as soon as the weather gest beter so i can wash the car ;-)
thank you