Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Getting Pampered :-)

Finally, after 2 1/2 weeks of waiting for the paint to cure and not able to drive it for almost a month...there she is now :-)
Prepping the car

checking all the small details

Applied the 3M Clear Shield on full front bumper, 1/4 hood an fenders, both headlights and side mirror

the day it got out of the body shop after getting 90% body paint

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I need that red in my life...very nice!

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #3

Hey unclekracker, I'm kinda lazily shopping around for a paint quote too .. how much did that 90% ( meaning 90% of body surface ? ) paint job set you back ? .. feel free to pm if you dont want to post price.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

VERY nice! While I like my silver Boxster, sometimes I wish that I had a color that stood out more or was a bit unique.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Vijen...you're alive!!!!!! How you doing, man? it's been awhile....

It was the insurance who paid for it except my $500 deductible. The total cost was $5800 and when I said, 90%, the insurance approved to paint everything except the rear lid and deck. See my other thread...

Call them and look for Mark. They are in the Yelp

@OD and thstone = thanks. Every 6 months I detail the car and once a year, it get claybar. It's worth it especially if it's been a DD for the last 2 yrs :-)
Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #6

Hey man .. yeah .. its been a while .. thought you sold your car .. ;]

I just saw your original thread .. sucks that you had to pay for damage other people caused .. when I see those trucks ( or even any small truck with a lawn mower in the back ), I stay wayyyyy back or speed as fast as I can past them as many lane over as I can.

I'm still due for a paint job though. After my accident 2 yrs ago, I got cash from insurance and took my car to a 'value' asian shop. Good idea at the time, but now my car looks like its going through puberty with all the paint chip craters on the front.

Did your deductible go up since this is not an 'at fault' thing ?

Oh btw .. I saw that you also got into AX / DE .. I just started doing some this year too and finished my first day @ Laguna 2 weeks ago. Maybe I'll see you around the pit next year ?

Last edited by vijen6; 12-07-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #7

unklekraker - I think i've said this before, but you have the best looking Arena Red 986 out there!
Looks great!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
unklekraker - I think i've said this before, but you have the best looking Arena Red 986 out there!
Looks great!
+1 every time you post a picture of that car, I'm going to tell you how much I like that color.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #9

Thanks guys...I really appreciated the nice comment I was actually contemplating on changing the front and rear bumper but I just decided to keep it stock and plus...the cost factor plays a BIG part of the decision

@ vijen...naaah...I fell off the planet earth coz' responsibility took over. I did a lot of growing up (wifeys ultimatum...hahahahaha) plus 2 kids in college, a teenage son and a grandson is keeping me busy I haven't seen the tracks or cones in the last 2 yrs...I might see you next year though :dance:
Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Can't be too hard to scrape the rust off the joints once you get back to the track, can it?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 12-11-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #11

Ouch .. 2 kids in college these days is expensive .. LOL .. I dont envy you yet .. maybe in a few yrs when they get out, make bank and give daddy a spanking new GT3RS .. =]

On the serious note, my SO has been mentioning kids a lot more often lately .. I'm trying to delay growing up as long as I can .. hopefully squeeze another season or two of racing out before anything happens .. wish me luck !
Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6 View Post
I'm trying to delay growing up as long as I can .. hopefully squeeze another season or two of racing out before anything happens .. wish me luck !
Good for you, man! that's what I did..I delayed my growing up and squeezed everything as much as I can and somehow..I reached the point where I have to grow up to keep my wife sane...hahahahaha!

I highly encourage you to do that...a season or two of racing...get it out of your system

This Sat. if you have free time, meet us at Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch by Saratoga and Prospect (Westgate Mall)

@ OD: I hope not...I'm getting that itch last summer but I have to hold off. I'm pretty sure I'm going to see the track, once or twice next summer, just to get the feel of it and to remind myself what's our car is made for :-)