Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #1

Pics from track day at Putnam Park, July 30-31

I was running in the Intermediate group. This is the first time I've run with a group that would allow me to run top down. (10/10ths Motorsports.) I ran nine 30-minute sessions over the two days, all in 90-plus degree heat. Enjoy!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

And the engine didn't blow up? Amazing.

Cool pictures.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #3

Garage
My favorite color (hers too) !
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Great pics! Nothing as fun as a track weekend in a Boxster!

Any comments about running on the track with the top down vs top up?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
Pat

I prefer down. It's not like it adds any level of safety having it up. It may be even safer with it down due to better visibility.
The one downside I can see is if you go off, there is a greater likelihood of the interior getting covered with dirt.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Carnut

nice pics, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
Great pics! Nothing as fun as a track weekend in a Boxster!

Any comments about running on the track with the top down vs top up?
Thanks! I prefer down for the marginally better visibility, although honestly I didn't notice nearly as much of a difference as I had expected. On the track, 90% of your concentration is focused well ahead of you, with the other 10% checking your mirrors. Top up or top down, I can see my mirrors fine. The only difference is that with the top up, and a plastic rear window, I can't always tell if the Corvette on my tail is a base model or a Z06. But it doesn't really matter at that point. Besides, I'm more interested in the Corvette in front of me that I'm about to pass.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Great pics...lucky you man. I know if I do this I will be hooked. Closest track is up in VA
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Banana - I'm thinking about getting the BK roll bar extension. Any feedback? Do you leave it installed all of the time or remove it for street driving? Do you run the stock 3-point seat belts or do you have a 5 or 6 point harness? Thanks. Tom
1979 911 SC
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
Banana - I'm thinking about getting the BK roll bar extension. Any feedback? Do you leave it installed all of the time or remove it for street driving? Do you run the stock 3-point seat belts or do you have a 5 or 6 point harness? Thanks. Tom
I leave it installed all the time, except when I'm going to take a long trip. I put the stock roll hoop pads and windscreen back in for long trips.

I like the rollbar extension. It's very solid and can be easily removed without marring the paint on the stock roll hoops. I bought it thinking that I'd need it for the track, but at all of the PCA events, I've had to run with the top up, so it was irrelevant until this most recent, non-PCA track event. I use stock 3-point belts for now, but I may switch to 5-point belts next year.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
Pat

Why is it irrelevant? Doesn't it fit under the top?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #12

Yes, it fits under the top perfectly. It's irrelevant at PCA track days because PCA doesn't require it. PCA doesn't care if you pass the "broomstick test" or not, since your top must be up while you're on track. I suppose it adds a measure of safety, though, if one were to flip.

One more point about the BK rollbar extension: Once the rollbar extension is installed, you must ALWAYS remember to close the latch on the convertible top when you put the top down. If you don't, the next time you close the roof the latch WILL catch the rollbar extension and will mangle your top for as long as you continue to hold the "close" button. It's in the installation instructions, but it bears repeating. It's never happened to me, but I can see it happening to someone else very easily if that person were to forget to close the latch.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
Pat

You realize the purpose is to be safe, not to comply with a rule, right? I would hardly call it irrelevant.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #14

Thanks mom.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Thanks Banana - good feedback on the roll bar extension.

I already have a racing seat installed in my car and I'm running the stock 3-point belts. I plan to add the roll bar extension for a little more headroom when install the 5/6 point belts since I'll be strapped in upright. Will probably also start running a HANS device too.

I'm finding that as my track experience grows and my speeds increase, I'd really like to make sure that I can walk away if something were to happen.

1979 911 SC