Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Cooling down on the Blue Ridge

I own a 2000 'S' with 55k miles that I got last Nov. It has been very hot in Charlotte the last week (last 5 days - 97,97,98,98,98 with dew points over 70) so I decided I would take my first real trip with the Boxster. It was my birthday Sat, figured it would be nice to treat myself to some cool weather.

I logged 438 miles and she worked like a charm. Ice cold AC on the way up to the Park Way and ice cold home. I am amazed at the cooling power, best AC I've ever had. Here is the trip I took:

- Headed out of Charlotte to Morganton and took route 181 up to the Blue Ridge. 181 has a lot of passing lanes and wide sweeping turns. I guess it must be a major road for campers, it was quiet this day however. The turns were safe ones to push the car (could see around each corner) and the tires were squealing, don't think I was going over 55mph though, I guess the turns were just enough though to generate just a little slide. Was fun, girl friend enjoyed it.

- Next we headed south on Blue Ridge (we got on the Park Way about 45 miles north of Asheville) and went up Mt Mitchell. It is the highest point in the east and was 64 degrees. We ate lunch and then sat at the summit in the clouds wishing we never had to go home.

- Next part of the trip consisted of heading south into Asheville then to my friends house in Black Mountain. I played it safe on the Park Way, the corners are blind in many cases and there are folks on bicycles. I'm actually really surprised the speed limit is 45mph. It was a great ride with the top down and the low 70s air.

- On Sat we headed back up to Mt Mitchell and grilled and soaked up the cool air and beautiful views for one more afternoon. We headed back to Charlotte around 6pm and took route 80 down to Marion. Route 80 is a crazy road, it basically is 2nd gear all the way down (about 16 miles) with some 180 degree turns that make your stomach sink.

From there it was on to Charlotte. I will say I didn't stop enough on the way home and I got pretty stiff, was wishing I was in the Benz about 2.5 hours in but the Box did well, for a Roadster it's not all that bad for highway driving. Route 40 in NC has been paved recently and it is a pleasure to drive on finally.

I'll post pics when the girl friend finally sends them to me.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #2

I bet that was a lot of fun, my In-laws live about 20 miles east of ashville, I drove on the blue ridge parkway up the grandfather mountain in the wife's crv, I wish I could bring my boxster out there!
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Here a some pics of the parkway and stuff.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Nice!

I wish you could have brought some of that cooler weather back down here with you!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Great trip and great pics! Sure is pretty.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
kpm

I should have held out for a red Boxster !!
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
kpm, what color is yours? When I was looking last fall I didn't see many Guards Red ones out there, I stumble on this after I had given up. Funny thing is out of all the pics we took with my girlfriends camera this is the only one that didn't come out candy apple red...some setting was not right on the camera. The one I attached doesn't really look Guards Red either but it was close. Yellow is classic on a Boxster too, really like it.