Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16 View Post
thanks ddb. so when are you going to get the upgrade?
I'm still very undecided. I have a mental rotation that goes something like this: 987 - 997 - C6 - SL500. No making fun of me for considering a Corvette (I've had a couple of them and love them) or a retractable hardtop Mercedes-Benz. I've always wanted one and will have to satisfy the desire at some point. I need something soon so I can keep up with you, Whip and Bob!

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #22
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Any of those would be great! Let me know when they need the Autobahn Glanz magic, least I can do for those great overlays.

Tuanle16 - This is a good link for calculating fitting: Wheel Offset Calculator

I still think these are the nicest:
Attached Images

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
ProjectM96,

The car looks good. I know how hard it is to maintain black paint and it looks like you are doing a great job.

How did you go about plastic dipping the wheels? Are you going to remove it in the spring? If so, how will you do it? Lastly, is there enough material on the wheels to worry about wheel balance?

Thanks,

ddb
I removed wheels and put them flat on ground for even distribution of plasti dip. Cleaned the wheels with a basic wheel cleaner spray. Dried them. Then I sprayed the plasti dip on there just like that. Gave each wheel two coats using two full cans total. $6 per can at home depot. I got some on tire but it does not matter. It is not noticeable. When and if I decide to remove it, It just peels right off with no problems as you can see on youtube. Search PlastiDip wheels. Two coats is very thin. It is as thin as electric tape. Most people put 4 or 5 coats, but I did not feel like buying another can when it already looked good with 2 coats. I did the entire job in 1.5 hours including waiting time for the wheels to dry (20 min per wheel). I did them one wheel at a time because I only had factory stand to lift the car.

Last edited by ProjectM96; 11-16-2011 at 07:08 PM.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #24

Garage
18" BSA rims

2003 model taillights
bobdogwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #25
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Good lord...those things look great!

'Scuse me, I've got some drool to wipe up here...

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #26

Garage
Believe it or not, those Techart wheels are the antithesis of a light weight "tuner" wheel . In fact, they weigh so much (30+ pounds for the 19 inch version) that Techart stopped publishing the specifications .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 11-17-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #27
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
In fact, they weigh so much (30+ pounds for the 19 inch version) that Techart stopped publishing the specifications .
JD,

Do you know if the wheels in the pic are 19's, or larger? I like the look of the Techart wheel, and 19's on Boxsters. My only dislike in the above picture is the brakes look minuscule compared to the wheels (partly due to this particular Boxster being a base model with smaller brakes?). When it comes down to nothing but aesthetics, for me an open wheel looks best when the rotors and calipers look as if they are just small enough to fit without clearance issues. Modern Ferraris pull off the look very well.

ddb
Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 AM   #28

Quote:
JD,

Do you know if the wheels in the pic are 19's, or larger? I like the look of the Techart wheel, and 19's on Boxsters. My only dislike in the above picture is the brakes look minuscule compared to the wheels (partly due to this particular Boxster being a base model with smaller brakes?). When it comes down to nothing but aesthetics, for me an open wheel looks best when the rotors and calipers look as if they are just small enough to fit without clearance issues. Modern Ferraris pull off the look very well.

ddb
is it a base model? it has drilled rotors, which are standard on S not base. but the muffler tip looks base, not S.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Believe it or not, those Techart wheels are the antithesis of a light weight "tuner" wheel . In fact, they weigh so much (30+ pounds for the 19 inch version) that Techart stopped publishing the specifications .
Techart has always been more about show than go. But yea all their wheels are either 19"s or 20"s and weights a ton.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 AM   #30

Quote:
is it a base model? it has drilled rotors, which are standard on S not base. but the muffler tip looks base, not S.
You can just buy the cross drilled rotors, lots of base cars have them. It's a base because it doesn't have the red calipers.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #31
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Good eye. I can't see any red on the calipers. Maybe it is just the angle. But if they are black that would point to a base too.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
JD,

ddb
They're 20's .
Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #33
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
When it comes down to nothing but aesthetics, for me an open wheel looks best when the rotors and calipers look as if they are just small enough to fit without clearance issues. Modern Ferraris pull off the look very well.

ddb
Aesthetically you're right, but at least we know that even the base brakes, small as they may look here, work great as is.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #34
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Aesthetically you're right, but at least we know that even the base brakes, small as they may look here, work great as is.
No doubt! You are correct, sir.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #35
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Danger - is this the same wheel? It's in the front of the car for sure. I also saw some pics of this in black on a Panamera.

Try again, image didn't make it up. Guess I'll just post the link:
Techart Porsche 997 Carrera S Close Up Techart 20 Inch Wheels Photo 5

Last edited by WhipE350; 11-18-2011 at 03:23 PM.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Good lord...those things look great!

'Scuse me, I've got some drool to wipe up here...
Those do look great and they should, 18x8.5 Rims sell for $1,165.00 each and 18x10 are $1,245.00 each not cheep, + you still have to buy the tires for them.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #37

Does anyone know how much the stock 17 inch turbo style rims weigh?

I heard somewhere that they are 21-22lbs With Tires. I would weigh them myself but I don't have a scale.

If that is the case, then there are only 2 aftermaket rims I know of that are lighter than stocks. 18 inch O.Z. Allegerita HLT's and 18 inch Enkei's wheel at around 18-19lbs.

Victor's, HRE's, and others are pretty heavy at 22-26lbs for just the rim with no tire.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #38
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
That sounds a bit generous, Project. I don't have solid figures at the moment, but I wouldn't expect our wheels with tires to weigh so little, neverminding that different tires have different weights. Let me see if I can dig up anything legitimate. In the meantime I know someone, like Johnny Danger, will probably have a good idea of what stockers weighed.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
Does anyone know how much the stock 17 inch turbo style rims weigh?
944racing

8.3 kg = ~18 lbs (Front / 7" width)
9.5 kg (guess) = ~21 lbs (Rear / 8 1/2" width, which is unknown on the chart probably a pessimistic guess)

But those are presumably without rubber.

Last edited by 2003S; 11-23-2011 at 09:08 AM.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
944racing

8.3 kg = ~18 lbs (Front / 7" width)
9.5 kg (guess) = ~21 lbs (Rear / 8 1/2" width, which is unknown on the chart probably a pessimistic guess)
My 17 inch rims are wider than that. More like 8.0-8.5 inches front and 9.5-10 inches rear. I measured them just the other day. On the rear tires I measured 9.5 for just the tread not including the width of the outer corner sidewalls slightly sticking out. 10 inches wide with sidewalls. Same for fronts. 8 inch wide tread and 8.5 inch measuring corner of sidewall.

You know what, I am just going to buy a scale this weekend and I will post up the weight I got for fronts and rears With tires.