Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #1

Another upgrade/mod checked off the list

When I got home tonight, my new smoked/clear side markers had arrived. Took 2 minutes to install - wow, what a difference. For $50 that's a pretty significant cosmetic face lift - especially on a Seal Grey Boxster since the color blend in really well. Will post some pics tomorrow when there is enough light to take a photo.

Right now I am trying to pick out some grey and black leather so that I can start replacing carpet and vinyl with leather. My plan right now is to put leather on lower section of the doors, armrests, center console, oddments compartment lid, the side pieces on the center console, the black door handle pieces, the two pillars at the side of the windshield and maybe the carpeted area behind the seats. I am also considering doing the entire dash board. We will see how much I feel like doing once I get going.

Has anyone tried to put leather on the upper door panel - instead of the vinyl or put leather on the carpeted area behind the seats?

Thanks,
Lars

Tandrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #2

PICTURES!!!!!!!! :troll:
aboi744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboi744
PICTURES!!!!!!!! :troll:
They are coming... it's too dark out right now to take some shots. Will do tomorrow morning.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #4

Garage
We r picture whores
post 'em
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris97boxster
We r picture whores
post 'em
Here we go. Now with pics!

Attached Images

Last edited by Tandrup; 01-26-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #6

Where do get them? I like these better than clear one.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Where do get them? I like these better than clear one.
I got them at pelicanparts.com. Part numbers for a 986:

Right: 996-631-043-02-M44
Left: 996-631-044-02-M44

At $21 a piece (which btw includes the light-bulb) they are a simple mod that changed the look at the car more than I would have thought. And they are real simple to install. Literally took 2 minutes.

Thanks,
Lars
Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandrup

At $21 a piece (which btw includes the light-bulb) they are a simple mod that changed the look at the car more than I would have thought. And they are real simple to install. Literally took 2 minutes.

Thanks,
Lars

You can also get silver bulbs that blink yellow. Then you won't have that little yellow dot showing. You have to want to totally 'de-amber' to do this but it does look nice with or without the yellow side markers. Now you will be hooked and off to even more expensive mods......it never ends........and if you are ever "finished" you will probably become bored and irritable which could lead to divorce....so I recommend caution.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
You can also get silver bulbs that blink yellow. Then you won't have that little yellow dot showing. You have to want to totally 'de-amber' to do this but it does look nice with or without the yellow side markers. Now you will be hooked and off to even more expensive mods......it never ends........and if you are ever "finished" you will probably become bored and irritable which could lead to divorce....so I recommend caution.

AKL
LOL - that is exactly what I am going through right now. Every day I am looking for some more mods to do and I am loving every minute of it! I have literally listed 6 or 7 additional things I want to do over the next months. The good thing about going through this though is that I have totally re-committed and fallen in love with the car again after having driven it for 4 or 5 years. I had started to feel a little luke-warm on it and had started looking for a replacement. It feels like I went through therapy or something and now I feel like I'm driving a new car. Great feeling - and so far hasn't been that expensive. I am shopping around for some 18" rims though - the 16" I have on now just don't do the rest of the car justice...

Thanks,
Lars
Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #10

The side markers were the first mod I did since I bought the car new in 02. You are right, I have seal grey also and the match almost looks like it was done at the factory.

Now, all you have to do is lower the guy on springs with 18's and you will literally get more stares than 911's (new and old).
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandrup

Thanks,
Lars
Sold. I didn't know they we so inexpensive.

Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote