Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #1

Hi all!

Hi I'm new here so let me tell you what I have and what I am thinking about getting for it.

2000 Boxster Ocean Blue with Savanna Beige.

The car has a tad over 61K on it and was a one owner. My father-in-law bought it new and left it to me when he passed this past October.

I'm thinking about a body kit and want to get inputs on one that I' looking at. The kit is from xtrememotorcars. Jeffery has given me a great price on the front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper and lights. I also would like to get a set of 19" wheels that are posted below in this color.

So my questions are:
1. Has anyone had experience with this company? If so tell me about it.
2. Your inputs on the kit. I.E. do you think it would look good on my car and the like.
3. Do you think the wheels would look good with this set up?
4. Anything different you would do?

Thanks guys, I look forward to getting to know you all!

Hawkeye71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Garage
I have no experience with the folks at Xtreme Motorcars, so I can't attest to the quality of their products, nor their commitment to customer service. Personally, I don't like the look of the 997 style bumper on the boxster. The look of the additional fog lights appears contrived to me. In addition, if you compare their GT3 style rear bumper to the actual oem design or others like it, you'll see that the the body lines, placement of the air vents and overall dimensions are disproportionate . But, that's just my opinion, and ultimately , you have to like the look of their kit, and feel comfortable about doing business with them. However, whatever the case maybe, take it from someone who's vehicle underwent an extensive body kit project; regardless of price or prestige, all of these aftermarket aero parts require a tremendous amount tweaking and crafting in order for them to fit properly and have a "factory" look . None of this stuff comes out of the box "ready to go ". And don't let anyone tell you otherwise !

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 01-11-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

Thanks Danger for your input.

I should give everybody a little back ground on myself I guess. I was an ASE certified master tech with a high performance certification. I owned a performance shop for about 8 years. Most of the cars I worked on were BMW's, Lotus, Nissan, Evo's and the like. Not to much experience with Porsche. I did always service this car as it was my father-in-laws. So owning a shop I've seen almost everything, from cars that came in looking like the were held together with bailing wire to cars that had over $30K just in paint. That being said, I am in no way a body guy but I know what your saying about prep work on body kits for sure!

I must say I do like the kit on your car for sure! One of the best looking one's I've seen! (Just a little out of my price range.) I also appreciate your honesty about the kit I'm looking at. That's what I'm looking for! Trying to get as much information as I can before I shell out any money.

Do you have any other suggestions on kits that might be a little less on the wallet then yours?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye71
Thanks Danger for your input.

I should give everybody a little back ground on myself I guess. I was an ASE certified master tech with a high performance certification. I owned a performance shop for about 8 years. Most of the cars I worked on were BMW's, Lotus, Nissan, Evo's and the like. Not to much experience with Porsche. I did always service this car as it was my father-in-laws. So owning a shop I've seen almost everything, from cars that came in looking like the were held together with bailing wire to cars that had over $30K just in paint. That being said, I am in no way a body guy but I know what your saying about prep work on body kits for sure!

I must say I do like the kit on your car for sure! One of the best looking one's I've seen! (Just a little out of my price range.) I also appreciate your honesty about the kit I'm looking at. That's what I'm looking for! Trying to get as much information as I can before I shell out any money.

Do you have any other suggestions on kits that might be a little less on the wallet then yours?
Without sounding immodest, before deciding on a kit for my vehicle, I researched and looked at virtually every know aero part in existence for the 986 boxster. With that said, I would be more than happy to share with you some of my experiences, and direct you toward some of the "better" choices that are out there. Feel free to send me a pm if you'd like.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #5

Smile Another Georgia Boy

Good to have you here!!!Where in Ga are ya? As far as the body kits are concerned, I enjoy stock p-cars much better than the kits..imho...But always do what you want to your car, as it is your car and no one elses...

Again, welcome to you from another GA boy here on the coast!
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'sboxie
Good to have you here!!!Where in Ga are ya? As far as the body kits are concerned, I enjoy stock p-cars much better than the kits..imho...But always do what you want to your car, as it is your car and no one elses...

Again, welcome to you from another GA boy here on the coast!

North Georgia. Dalton area. Glad to be on here. Like I said before, I look forward to getting to know everyone! I've already had some great help from Danger! His help has been invaluable!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #7

Why would you want to change that beautiful Boxster? I think your father-in-law left you a hell of a car.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminhouston
Why would you want to change that beautiful Boxster? I think your father-in-law left you a hell of a car.
Thanks. Just want it to look a little more aggressive.

Was thinking about going forced induction but think I'm just gonna keep it sorta stock under the "hood" for now. If I do I'll more then likely build my own setup later on.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

If your getting the bumper i suggest not getting the chicken wire grill for the bumper air intake areas. something classier like the rs4 honeycomb grill

cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote