Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #1

My full Stereo upgrade...so far

My aim:
1) Good clear distortion-free sound across the entire spectrum that's easy to listen to and appreciate with the roof down at 85mph.
2) Enough future-proof connectivity options and full integration of iphone/sat nav handsfree etc.
3) Keep everything looking as if Porsche had installed it themselves.
Simple really
I'll tackle point 2 first. I'm about to upgrade the Stereo a Pioneer AVIC double DIN all-singing all dancing unit and have bought a mounting kit made in the 'states that should integrate it perfectly into the dash. I've managed to track down a 'no smoking' hole-filler from a 996 which integrates into the dash perfectly..and will have a USB slot behind it. Coupled to the built in SD slot and DVD (which also plays DVD audio) and the full control of an Ipod from the central cubby not to mention Parrot Bluetooth, DAB, Freeview and Full European 3D satNav...that's all bases covered.
Till that goes in, I've got a Becker Traffic Pro: It's a single DIN unit that matches the dash exactly, but has the added advantage of European Sat Nav, Aux-in for an MP3 player and the best radio Tuner I've ever heard.

So, the Speakers. I've gone with Infinity Kappas for a number of reasons: This isn't a Sales pitch but suffice to say if you're using a standard factory wiring loom and modest power levels, then these are not only reasonably priced, but offer a very good sound.
The current set up is a pair of 4" Co-Ax's in the dash tops, a pair of 6.5" co-ax's in the doors and a single 6.5" Sub. 50Watts RMS into each of the 4 satellite drivers and 150w RMS into the Subwoofer - a CDT Audio 6.5+, chosen because of the sound quality - and quantity that can be produced by such a small speaker in a very small box. (7 litres IIRC)
I've said at the moment because I'm so impressed with the CDT Audio Sub, that I may be going for a 3-way CDT Audio system - 6" Mid Bass in the door, 4" Mid range in the dash and 1" silk tweeter in the A Pillar...
Dash top installs are fairly straightforward if you get a speaker that's shallow enough and can utilise the mounting ring from the original speaker - which you have to destroy to utilise.

Here you can clearly see the difference in the size of the magnet and the tweeter -

(as in there is one). Honestly for a Prestige Marque the standard fit speakers are 'king shocking.

So the bit you need to keep hold is the fitting ring that your 4" mounts to -

- and once mounted:

Once re-fitted, I prised off the Infinity badges from the (unused) grills and stuck them on the dash-top grills a la Bose system.

Last edited by Gary H; 09-14-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #2

The Doors are a little more complicated.
Originally, with the 4 channel Amplifier upgrade, the doors are supposed to contain 5.25" 'sub-woofers' in plastic enclosures:

I managed to get hold of a guy on Renntech who made some custom enclosures from fibreglass and MDF by using an original enclosure as a mould, so I bought a pair and then thoroughly coated them in liquid dynamat and sheet noisekiller.

and then the insides were loosely packed with acoustic wadding -

which males the speaker sound like it's in a slightly bigger box, adding a little 'punch'
As you can see here, one of the advantages of the Infinity Kappa speaker is the tweeter on a pivot and +/- 3dB switch:

and finally fitted back in the door:
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

With the Sub, I didn't want to compromise leg room, so had to make use of the left hand corner of the passenger footwell. Marking out the area I could lose with masking tape:

and then covering the contours with packing tape...

for the messy, smelly, unpleasant bit: Making the back of the sub box with fibreglass matting, resin and hardener:

Once that had gone off, I used a series of cardboard templates to fabricate the front of the box:

I then attached a 6.5" MDF Spacer where I wanted the sub to be (ensuring there was enough clearance) and then stretched some cloth tightly over it and stapled it behind. Painted it with Fibre glass resin and added a very thin layer of glass matting. This gave me the shape without adding weight -

and then some P38/P40 for rigidity -

Once sanded, trimmed in carpet and a temporary grill fitted.

Sits securely in the corner. Whilst I'm more than happy with the sound, I'm not happy with the way it looks - it's not stealthy enough so will be re-making a box with the sub completely hidden, firing down from under the dash...
Old 09-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #4

So, onto the Power. Really handy having the Battery in the front, it means that power runs are kept to an absolute minimum length. Keeping to the ethos that everything would be hidden - I didn't want to use the standard Amp location and decided a false floor would be the way to go, ensuring that the amps (one 4-channel and one 2-channel) were adequately cooled.)
So the component count is very simple: The two amps, a fused distribution block and a 1/2 Farad Stiffening capacitor. There is also a main fuse attached to the boot wall, approx 6” from the Battery.
The components were laid out on an MDF board cut to shape and then the cable runs decided on:

Then secured to the front boot floor:

I then templated and cut out a ‘floor’ from MDF, incorporating vent holes, a handle (made from Velcro) and a slot fan that shifts a surprising amount of air. This was then trimmed in black carpet -

(Can you see the face?!)
The final touch was to attach a luggage net to it and fit

And by filling in the holes left by the removal of the CD changer and amp, and attaching the warning triangle, I think it looks pretty stock:

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #5

Impressive. You've got some good fabrication skillz.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Sensational work! If only you lived in Australia - I would be providing beer and requesting your assistance!!!

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Carnut

WOW!

Now, does it sound like you wanted?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #8

Wow, Gary,
that is one of the best installs I have ever seen in a boxster,
and I have seen a few!

I love the slot fan, that is really well done!
Also, no chance of a spare in the factory location in your setup, I assume?

I am settling (for now) with a Clarion CD head unit (w/USB) with 6v pre outs through the factory (upgrade) system, but that is some good inspiration you just offered!

Kudos!
-Brad
JettaGLi16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #9

Garage
I can honestly say I know nothing about sound systems. However, that work does look stealth and very pro. Hope you like the results. I like the Becker single DIN GPS units but I do not think they work here stateside.

namely: The Becker Cascade Pro 7941

Last edited by Lobo1186; 09-20-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #10

Thank you all. I could have tried to mount a small amp in the stock location, but as I had decided to ditch the spare anyway (and carry a can of sealant and a compressor), the trade off with increased storage space was worth it.

Having said that there's no reason why a cut out couldn't accommodate the bas of the spare too.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #11

I've just replaced my trusty old Becker Traffic Pro with a Pioneer AVIC-F910BT Double DIN unit.

The Becker was originally bought because of it's OEM appearance and hidden talents, namely European Sat Nav but an Aux-In was stretching it and you forget bluetooth...so the hunt was on for something a little more capable.

I'd settled on this Pioneer because of it's looks - and had even turned down the newer model (the 920) because the buttons had been changed so looked a lot less integrated.

It even has a 'Splashscreen' which I've already customised - so you have a Porsche Logo displayed whilst it loads up!
The other thing that makes the difference is the mounting frame - the surround used came from Loi - EuroMotorspeed and isn't the one that comes with the Head Unit and the differences are obvious. Yes you need to trim away a tiny bit of plastic in the interior frame, but this very solidly constructed frame with metal powder-coated surround (complete with Porsche sticker) with an exact fit, no gaps and perfect cosmetic integration absolutely makes the installation. Expensive, but worth it IMO

The Head Unit itself is as awesome as expected: Full Euro Sat Nav with voice control, routes plannable on Goggle Maps and then downloadable via SD Card, 3D picture representation of famous landmarks, CD/DVD playback, SD card slot (MP4/AVI) USB Socket, 3.5mm A/V Jack, USB Socket, Spare AV input (I'm going to add a Freeview tuner) and full iphone/ipod control on the touch screen, so all your playlists, album art etc. are on the screen. Not to mention bluetooth and it reads you your SMS messages ANd future proofing is built in because all firmware/POI database and Sat Nav updates are loaded on to a USB/SD and and transferred to your Unit.
I'm sure there's much much more - the manual is 140 pages, but having been at Silverstone all weekend, I'm only now starting to pay with it.

First piccy:

Old 10-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #12

double DIN?

This is a great post! I want to follow it as close as I can. How difficult was it to swap the single DIN with the double DIN?

After looking at the pics of the amps, I think I have it. The white cable is coming directly from the battery (with an inline fuse)?

The blue cable is going to a chassis ground?

I assume this whole assembly is switched, but where does the switching occur? In the HU wiring harness?

Sorry for all the questions. I thought it would be pretty straightforward until I saw your layout.

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!

Last edited by Iflylow; 10-22-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: added questions
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:04 AM   #13

answered my own wiring questions

I found a great video on crutchfield.com that answered all my questions.
I hope mine turns out as good as yours!

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #14

2001 boxter double din instalation kit

Hi ,I'm looking for the double din installation kit for 986 boxter ,I saw one on eBay a while back , does anyone know where I can buy one from
Cheers
Netdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #15

Hey Netdeals,

This one may work for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/97-02-PORSCHE-986-BOXSTER-DOUBLE-DIN-INSTALLATION-KIT-/320621655079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa68a 3427

TennisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote