Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #1

Ouch!!

Wow this guy is running some excessive camber!

http://www.yellowpimp.org/ferrari.jpg
jwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:39 AM   #2

Yea, I hate it when my car gets stuck transitioning in to hover mode too!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:54 AM   #3

Don't you just hate it when your toy gets broken?

Looks like a pictoral of a rich idiot with too much cash and no driving ability!

Betcha that repair bill cost as much as my 97 boxster with all the repairs I've made on it thus far!

Whaddya think a new rear end costs for this exotic? 25K? more?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Don't you just hate it when your toy gets broken?

Looks like a pictoral of a rich idiot with too much cash and no driving ability!

Betcha that repair bill cost as much as my 97 boxster with all the repairs I've made on it thus far!

Whaddya think a new rear end costs for this exotic? 25K? more?
Much much more. There was a CGT that was rear-ended with minor body damage, and the repairs were a significant portion of the total value of the car (I think there's some discussion of the accident on this board, but I"m too lazy to search). I want to say it was like $200k of damage, though, and it honestly looked like NOTHING. Apparently there's a level of damage (again, I could be off; I'm just going on what I remember) for which they have to ship the car to Germany for repairs. I'm guessing this qualifies. Which would put it in the definitely more than $25k bracket!!

What do you think happened here? I don't see any body damage, so he bottomed it out and broke loose the rear subframe? Slammed a wheel into the curb going 100mph? This looks interesting.

You're right tho -- too much money; not enough skill. This is clearly a "driver error" problem, involving something other than collision with another car.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #5

I heard this was posted in the G35 forum and the whole underbody is done and all axels are toasted ~ $200k damage. The guy supposedly hit a curb when he shut his traction control off and we can all imagine what ensued.

BTW: anyone know why the CGT's have red rings on the wheels on one side and blue ones on the other side?
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

I think there's a little rushing to judgement here. Perhaps the driver swerved to miss a deer on the highway, or over-cooked it at the track. And lets not forget, on a Civic board, they might look at a broken Boxster and say ' Yeah some rich idiot with no talent'. Clearly the owner has a talent for something, to be able to afford such a car. I've spun more than once at the track, so has Micheal Schumacher. Thankfully I've not harmed my car: Schuey has. Does that make him 'some rich idiot with no talent'? That car has significant powere compared to our Porsches, and what is catchable in a Boxster at it's balls-out speed is not in a CGT. My NSX could reach a higher speed and get there much faster than my Boxster, and on a track, or the highway, I always found myself traveling faster than the Box: @150kph vs. 127kph in the Box. And that was just cruising. And before anyone starts up with the responsible driver rhetoric, lets all just admit from time to time we let 'er rip out there in the real world. This is just my view, but I'd think a little sympathy for both the driver, and more so the car is in order. I think all too often, when someone has something we covet, we enjoy their downfall a little too much. It's venal and un-becoming. For myself, I hate to see a beautiful car wrecked. I watched Sir Stirling Moss shred a vintage Aston Martin at a vintage racing event and cringed. I felt badly for Moss, the car's owner, and the car. I don't think it can be said HE has limited talent. He was simply trying too hard, a trait all competitive drivers are guilty of.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #7

Very well put Icebox...

http://www.yellowpimp.org/ferrari.jpg
jwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Well said, Icebox. I retract my comment regarding the driver of this car.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 AM   #9

I have seen this car

This is at Scottsdale dealership. The guy is a jack-ass. He says that he was trying to make a u-turn and hit a curb. The entire front end is full of grass and dirt, i have a picture of the brake rotor broken in half??? He lost control of this car at a higher rate of speed than a u-turn and he ditched it somewhere. There was no deer you can be sure of that. I am not sure when that picture was taken but I saw it at the beginning of February taken apart on the lift. The parts for it are just starting to show up now. LOL
black296tuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:14 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus Send a message via MSN to Shortbus Send a message via Yahoo to Shortbus
arent GT's mostly carbon fiber under the body? Sucks big time repairing that, as the tiniest crack in CF spreads all over the place...

"I was just making a U-turn", hahaha. :dance: :dance:
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:25 AM   #11

I'm 99% sure what happened here.

A friend of mine has a client that picked up a Carrea GT. The owner, a huge car collector and zillionaire (who is suing Bush) said that he has spun the car on several occasions. He says that the tires need a good while to come in and that you have to be very careful putting down the power in turns because the rears want to break loose if the tires aren't hot.

I bet this guy jumped in started travelling at a high rate of speed made a turn, lost the back end and went backwards into a curb or a highway divider island.

if you notice the rear wheels are shot but there is no damage to the rear bumper at all. I guess carbon fiber body work really doesn't like to go over cement curbs.

The insurane bill for this is going to be insane.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #12

I’ve seen pictures of probably 4 or 5 different GTs with similar damage. There is defiantly something systematic causing it.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #13

My friend bought a Viper one year. He called the guy at the dealer told him he was interested in the car and asked how late they were open. The salesman said I'll be here as late as necessary
He left his shift at 10pm and the sales guy was the only one there. He bought the car and the sales guy just handed over keys.
No driving instruction, training or pointers.

"Have a nice day and thank for coming by"

you have to wonder, with all these people buying highly exotic and extremely powerful cars, how many actually know/have been instructed about HP driving.
I mean the Carrera GT was not intended to be a road car at all. And from what I've been told many people who were not allowed to test drive the car before buying(!!!!) have said that had they been given a short spin they never would have purchased the car. The transmission sounds like a tractor trailer's, going up hill is a test of even an experienced shifting skills, and its bone jarring on expansion joints.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #14

Damn.breaks my heart just looking at it.
Dave_Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:50 AM   #15

Lightbulb

Did someone say they are parting this car out? I wonder if C-Gt brakes fit on a boxster...........
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #16

Send a message via MSN to ntmatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
My friend bought a Viper one year. He called the guy at the dealer told him he was interested in the car and asked how late they were open. The salesman said I'll be here as late as necessary
He left his shift at 10pm and the sales guy was the only one there. He bought the car and the sales guy just handed over keys.
No driving instruction, training or pointers.

"Have a nice day and thank for coming by"

you have to wonder, with all these people buying highly exotic and extremely powerful cars, how many actually know/have been instructed about HP driving.
I mean the Carrera GT was not intended to be a road car at all. And from what I've been told many people who were not allowed to test drive the car before buying(!!!!) have said that had they been given a short spin they never would have purchased the car. The transmission sounds like a tractor trailer's, going up hill is a test of even an experienced shifting skills, and its bone jarring on expansion joints.
Having just sold my Viper, I can tell you that similar stories are common. I'd read that about 30 Vipers get totalled every year on the way home from the dealership, I know that over 10% of all Vipers made have been totalled. I strongly believe that a high-speed driving course should be either included in the car price or required before taking delivery for any sort of exotic with this sort of power.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #17

That's the car from the German version of the upcoming Dukes of Hazzard movie - the "Herr Oberleutnant Lee"
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #18

Update

I saw this car again a few weeks ago. It was almost done; they were waiting on the rear fenders. I asked and was told that the color on the wheel rings has to do with the rings being self tightening and it designates right and left. I can not really make that work out in my tiny skull but that is what I was told. I was also told that you can’t even put that car on a lift like the others. You actually have to bolt metal plates onto the car to get it onto the lift. Anywho they said the bill was up around 200k.
black296tuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #19

I'd like to see his next insurance bill when they pay that claim...