Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #1

Painted Calipers

I painted my calipers this last week and am not 100% satisfied with the results. The G2 paint is very watery making it difficult to not get brush marks. I went back to do my touchups but, the paint had already hardened. When I do my brake pads I'm just going to pull the calipers off and spray them. It looks good from about 3 feet or further away but, I'm just too picky I guess.

I also painted the center caps and put metal Porsche crests on them. I think they look fantastic! Stock center caps will not work with my wheels.

I also bought the silver bulbs to completely de-amber but, they sent me 2 sets of straight pin plugs and I need 2 sets of angle pin plugs. They're taking them back and paying for the return shipping back to them. The side markers are the only one's that fit.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
It looks great!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #3

i used the G2 system and I know exactly what you mean about not being 100% happy with the results. When I finished them, I could tell the finish wasn't perfect. there were some small runs in spots, and high/low spots where I made it too thin/thick in different places.

then I realized that I was about 2" microanalyzing my work and that I had gone into it with unrealistic expectations. My wife, my friends, etc who saw it all were impressed. once I got off my hands and knees and stood uip - it looked glossy and great.

the G2 brush on s ystem is not going to make an OEM finish - but it DOES make it look 10x better than the stock basic black calipers. spraying them would be great.

for most people here though, the time/cost isn't worth it and the results you get with the brush on is "good enough". when you figure that no one excpet YOU and your mechanic (if you don't wrench on your own car) will be THAT close to the calipers. once the decals are on, the wheels are back on, and you are looking at them while standing, or someone else looks at them as the car is parked, or rolling by - they look like an OEM job. they are reallly glossy! it makes them stand out - especially when you have hte PORSCHE decal to contrast against the paint job.

i am picky and a perfectionist. after I painted my bumperettes myself I was all pissed off because one of them got a slight roughness to the finish on one little spot... i was once again micro analyzing it - once i put them on and looked at them, they looked awesome.

i'm sure yours turned out great. in the photos theylook GREAT!!!!

dont' look at them with a magnifying glass - look at them with the "big picture" in mind and be proud of the result.

did you paint yoru rollbar or did your car come that way? looks good!!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
for most people here though, the time/cost isn't worth it and the results you get with the brush on is "good enough". when you figure that no one excpet YOU and your mechanic (if you don't wrench on your own car) will be THAT close to the calipers.

i am picky and a perfectionist.

did you paint yoru rollbar or did your car come that way? looks good!!
That's the thing, I wouldn't take my car into my mechanic with the calipers looking like they do. He's very critical of anything related to the car. Take for instance my short shift kit. I bought the Schnell kit after researching very well and decided the Schnell was just as good as the B&M except was less than half the price. I eventually had to take the shifter into the shop to have him put on a retaining clip I couldn't for the life of me get on. Turned out there was a washer I needed to remove. Anyway he criticized my shifter, and I quote "those aren't very good, we installed a couple and they were a piece of crap". I love hearing things like that right after I buy them.

Honestly, for the time it took to brush these out, I could have sprayed at least two coats and my car was already down for a couple days. I might just go all out and take them off and have them powder coated. Not sure, I'll have to see. I'd kind of like to spray them myself though.

Rollbar was factory painted. We painted one when I worked at a body shop and it was a pita. Just removing it was the worst part. Wouldn't suggest it as a DIY project.

Thanks though, I have got some compliments. I guess I'm just overly critical of my own work.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #5

Talking

Looking good! Hmm, I think that I've seen that color calipers somewhere...

01 Speed Yellow Boxster S
- Tip
- PSE
- C4S Cluster with new style OBC
- 18" with 7mm rear spacers
- Litronics
- Fully de-ambered
- LED taillights
- Aluminium Pedals
- Integrated Garage Door Opener
- 986 emblem
- Yellow brake calipers with Brembo stickers