Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
And seeing both cars side by side really shows where the greatest problem is... that window!
Well there really isn't much they can do with that window because you have to make it work with the existing car door windows that are in the doors of the boxster 986. They are a different shape at the top and rear where they meet the roof line. So you are stuck with what you have to work with on the side windows. They do mimic the Cayman shaped corner panels. Again the 987 looks identical to the Cayman because it does have the SAME shape door windows as the Cayman. Wish I had a picture of the 987 with the Zientop so you could see how close they are. To each his own.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 AM   #22

The Black modified Box looks a hell of alot better then the regular Cayman. Some ppl whine about a Cayman being a 911 wannabe, and a Box being a Cayman wannabe, then a Box not being a real Porsche. Jeph, some ppl may say by you putting on 911 headlights makes your box a 911 wannabe and destroys the smooth lines. I personally like the way you did it because it's different from 99% of the other boxes. That hardtop rocks imo but I would go with the other guys and say pick a color.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
Jeph, some ppl may say by you putting on 911 headlights makes your box a 911 wannabe and destroys the smooth lines.
I know you're just saying that as an example, but...

I have no problem with others thinking my car is a 911 wannabe, that's truly a matter of opinion. However, if one were to say it "destroys smooth lines" is really a less subjective statement then one may realize. On any car, smooth, consistent lines is an important part of good design. And when it comes to proper design, some people get it, some people don't. That's not to belittle the opinions of those who think this hard top looks good. But being a designer, I'd wager my standards and knowledge on what works and what doesn't is considerably more stringent than most peoples. I'm not trying to sound elite, I'm just defending the honor of the lines.

In any profession, you can't help but to be a critic. If you pave roads, you notice every road you drive on. If you're a builder, every building you walk in, and a writer, everything you read. I would trust a paver, a builder, and a writer in their areas of expertise over mine. Know what I mean? I'm not asking anyone to change their opinions, I'm just showing others where I'm coming from.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #24

my 2 cents

I think Zeintop is a great new innovative top. I think the 986 in general looks better and more aggressive than the 987, which look weaker and more feminin. The Zeintop on the 986 looks much better than a Cayman. the Lines on the 986 make the car look more exotic. My favorite Zeintop product is the Cayman style spoiler which you dont see in these pics. Its two parts, one on the bumper and the spoiler itself. Even if you dont like the top and get this spoiler and pair it with a Oem hardtop it will look hot. its just that the spoiler is north of 800 bucks. I guess thats the price of exclusitivity.
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #25

Blimey...its gettin hot in ere!!!!

I like to see different ideas being tried out.....and yes I like to see different Boxsters.....I have the standard hard top.....and.......I will stick with it, it looks like its trying too hard to be something its not, and in my view a standard Boxster is better than a cayman anyway.

And I like the 911 lights!!!...That was done well and I think updates the 986 look, as they did with the 996 in 2001....maybe they should of done the Boxster as well!!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #26

Thumbs up

I love this top. I've always thought the stock 986 hardtop looked far too Miata-esque. When I saw this, I wondered why Porsche hadn't done the same thing.

Half the year, I find the convertible top insufficient at retaining heat. Investing an hour or so at the beginning and again at the end of the spring/summer season seems well worthwhile.

I don't think one can say "If it's nay Porsche, tis crap" with this mod.
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #27

I really like it. I think it looks like an older style Cayman if they had introduced it with the 986 body. Not something that I would do to mine, but I do think it looks good.

I love the rear spoiler that they sell. I think it's way overpriced, but it's also new to the market. I'm sure that someone will be selling a knock off of it in the near future. The spoiler on the two-toned Box in the first picks looks to be crooked (driver's side sits higher than the passenger side). I'd fix that and get the rascal painted and pop that dent out on the rear bumper cover. I think it will look
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #28

Any pics with the hatch open?
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #29

I've got this pic
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #30

I think the top looks great. Gives you a second car.

Just way, WAY too much dough
Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #31

So has anyone else here gotten and installed one, lived with for a few months and seen any bugs, flaws, etc? I'm really seriously considering getting one. I have a '99 with a factory hard top, Techart wheels and body kit and rear spoiler. The car looks great as is, but I dig the pseudo-Cayman look to be honest. I can sell my hard top for $1500 or more, so the difference isn't that bad to have a truly 2nd look. But, I'd like to hear some real feedback from end users. Trying to upload a pic...does anyone else have problems???!!!!! Thanks, Dan
porschenut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #32

Kinda like it

I actually think its pretty cool. Whether its perfect, I'm sure collectively we could all find something we would like to see improved on it. Reality is, if I had to get a hard top that would be the one I choose. It is a bit pricey though, $5k is a lot of money personally. I could think of a lot of other ways I spend $5k to improve my boxster. But thats not to say it's not cool. I think it's nice if you can afford one and if I could I probably would.

trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote