Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #1

UGH-Dead battery, key fob, and broke door lock. how do I get in??

While I was down with Covid my ’06 Cayman went into battery hibernation mode... We’ve seen these posts before BUT, here are my other issues:

key fob not working. It just blinks (changed the battery-no change) I can only assume its no longer paired, and I will need to put it in the ignition to do the re-pairing maneuver. (when the battery is back in business)
The manual door lock is broken (possible lock cylinder that I’ve been reading about)
Not really an issue, but I’m a 2-hour drive from ANYONE who will touch this car (rural south Arkansas)

I’m still struggling with “Covid brain” so I need help trying to figure out what my plan of action needs to be in order to get into this car. I APOLOGIZE because I’ve seen similar posts before but I’m not having luck finding one that fits this situation.

what do you recommend?? I’m assuming for finding one of these emergency release cables, having the car raised would help? (going to find a low profile lift today) Also the lug key is in the car, so removing a tire to help with panel removal isn't an option.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm trying to stay calm, she's my daily drive but I'm still under covid house arrest, so I've got the time! :ah:

Old 11-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #2

Garage
Did the car sit for a few days without you using the key fob? If so then the key fob will not work until you unlock the car door with the key. If that`s the case then you need to call someone to open your door if you don`t know how and then make sure you fix your door lock so you don`t get locked out again, good luck.
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #3

Yes, car and key fob hadn't been used for a few weeks. (not intentionally... otherwise I would have set the car up on a trickle charger) I don't know why I'm so nervous about having a locksmith come out to open the car!!
Old 11-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #4

Garage
Even with a battery tender hooked up the key fob will still stop working after a few days. Do you have any road side service? Like CAA (Canadian Automobile Club) If not, you need to call someone to open the car door, and then fix the door lock or just leave the car unlocked from now on. I would not worry about calling someone to open the door, they are professionals and can usually open a car door in under 5 minutes. GL
Old 11-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNcargirl View Post
Yes, car and key fob hadn't been used for a few weeks. (not intentionally... otherwise I would have set the car up on a trickle charger) I don't know why I'm so nervous about having a locksmith come out to open the car!!
Jack the driver side rear up. You have the wheel lock key inaccessible so you will have to work around. Inside the back of the wheel well you should see a cover secured by torque screws. Remove the cover. You will need a good light. Inside the bumper youshould find a thin silver cable. Pull to release the rear hatch. This should get you inside.

Last edited by 911monty; 11-30-2020 at 02:09 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Jack the driver side rear up. You have the wheel lock key inaccessible so you will have to work around. Inside the back of the wheel well you should see a cover secured by torque screws. Remove the cover. You will need a good light. Inside the bumper youshould find a thin silver cable. Pull to release the rear hatch. This should get you inside.
I think OP knows that 911monty, at least that`s what I read on the first post, but with no lift to lift the car up, I can`t see how OP is going to lift the car up to get to the cable, and in case op needs to remove the wheel, the lock key for the bolts is in the car
Old 11-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Boxster View Post
I think OP knows that 911monty, at least that`s what I read on the first post, but with no lift to lift the car up, I can`t see how OP is going to lift the car up to get to the cable, and in case op needs to remove the wheel, the lock key for the bolts is in the car
I think you need to have better reading comprehension.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:

Thank you.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
I was all ready to make the investment in a low profile lift, wheel chocks, Tylenol and bandaids, then weighed that cost against the locksmith...I've decided to let the professionals pop the car. From there I guess having the battery replaced will be the next step? (I can open the frunk with the fuse trick) Hopefully my key unit isn't dead and just needs to be re-paired by putting it in the ignition and turning and holding buttons. I'm due back in the city for an oil change in February; I'll get the lock cylinder fixed then. If it wasn't for the brain trust in this forum I'd be lost! This board has gotten me through so many random issues with my old Boxster and my current Cayman. I'll follow back with my progress.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
I was all ready to make the investment in a low profile lift, wheel chocks, Tylenol and bandaids, then weighed that cost against the locksmith...I've decided to let the professionals pop the car. From there I guess having the battery replaced will be the next step? (I can open the frunk with the fuse trick) Hopefully my key unit isn't dead and just needs to be re-paired by putting it in the ignition and turning and holding buttons. I'm due back in the city for an oil change in February; I'll get the lock cylinder fixed then. If it wasn't for the brain trust in this forum I'd be lost! This board has gotten me through so many random issues with my old Boxster and my current Cayman. I'll follow back with my progress.
About the door lock. When you insert the key does the cylinder rotate 360 degrees? If it does then the lock fix should take care of it. If it does not rotate 360 then it could be the rod that attaches to the door handle has come loose.

You do not need a low profile lift. The jack point is just in front of the rear wheel.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
About the door lock. When you insert the key does the cylinder rotate 360 degrees? If it does then the lock fix should take care of it. If it does not rotate 360 then it could be the rod that attaches to the door handle has come loose.

You do not need a low profile lift. The jack point is just in front of the rear wheel.
Door lock only rotates 180. when key is inserted it can turn a quarter turn in each direction (but not all the way around) In all the 10 plus years I've had the car I don't think I've ever had to use the physical key to open the door. (o that hindsight)
Old 11-30-2020, 10:22 PM   #12

I've never had the keys on either of my 987s need to be resynced to the car and there have been times where my Box has been put away for 4 mo. That may be a 986 "trick". Before you go to a huge expense, try replacing the battery in the fob first. No much to lose if that doesn't work and a lot of $$$ saved if that solves the problem.

UPDATE: after I woke up this morning, I checked the owner's manual. It IS possible to have your key go to sleep after 7 days. The 1st step in reinitiating the key is to open the door with the key in the lock. So replacing the battery will not make any difference in your predicament. Looks like you'll need a locksmith to get your door open.

Guess that's why I don't lock my Box when she's in storage. Avoids a lot of problems.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 12-01-2020 at 04:42 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #13

UPDATE 1

Locksmith got car open in less than a minute... only charged me $60! I was so excited I jumped in and put my key in the ignition COMPLETELY FORGETTING what I have read about keys being HELD when the battery is dead. So now the car is unlocked but my key is in the ignition. Next step is to pop the frunk with the fuse box trick and get the battery changed out. Stay tuned...
Old 12-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
UPDATE 1

Locksmith got car open in less than a minute... only charged me $60! I was so excited I jumped in and put my key in the ignition COMPLETELY FORGETTING what I have read about keys being HELD when the battery is dead. So now the car is unlocked but my key is in the ignition. Next step is to pop the frunk with the fuse box trick and get the battery changed out. Stay tuned...
Nice that you got the door open. Many youtube videos on how to open the trunk, it`s really easy with the fuse hack, all you need is a little power and it opens easy, if you don`t have a battery charger you can use an old battery with booster cables, GL.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Before you replace the battery you can check the water level by removing the caps that cover them. Over time it evaporates causing the battery to lose power. There is no such thing as a Maintenence Free Battery although they are advertised that way. You don't want to touch the acid that forms around the battery so hose every thing off 1st If the cells are low top off with distilled water

Tags
#06cayman , #cantopen , #deadbattery , #deadkeyfob