Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Where To Store Donut Spare & Jack In Cayman

I'm not comfortable driving around without a spare. I carry plug kits, cans of fix a flat and small compressors in all my cars. But it seems every flat I've had past few years was either in the sidewall or not a tire issue but a wheel issue. In addition to all the stuff I listed above I have donut spares in those cars that did not come with a spare. The donut from my Boxster fits perfectly on front and rear of the Cayman. I was able to find a new Boxster donut spare locally for $80. That spare for now is tied down with ratchet straps in the rear of the Cayman. I have a low profile scissors jack with a 1/2" drive socket welded to it so I can operate it with a breaker bar or my impact wrench.
I was able to squeeze that jack and breaker bar wrapped in towels into the small compartment in the frunk directly below the battery.

I've got 2 questions. I would prefer to keep the donut in the frunk similar to where the Boxster spare is located but there's no where I can find to secure the tire.
Does anyone carry a spare in the frunk and how is it secured?

And, is there anything in that small compartment where I put the jack & breaker bar that I can screw up by having them in there. The towels keep them jammed in and prevent them from moving around-I did not see anything in there that could ignite the towels. Does anyone know if my assumptions re: not burning my car up or causing any other issues is correct?
Thanks

mwestboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #2

In Europe early 9x7 body styles had a spare as I recall. It was mounted to the rear Frunk wall just as in the 9x6 series. You can get the bracket and DIY same.

BUT!!!! Be EXCEPTIONALLY careful drilling holes for the mount’s rivets and mark your drill bit for correct depth (or use a collar) as gas tank is directly behind. You obviously do not want to puncture it.

A good alternative is to up your AAA membership to gold plus.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 12-29-2018 at 06:27 PM. Reason: correcting auto-correct's correcting of frunk to trunk ;)
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Strapped in the rear trunk is the factory placement and I am not sure how it would be secured in front. Whatever method will have to be you own design.

** I have been cheating death by running with no spare since 2006. I do have TPMS so get alerted quickly if there is a leak or nail in a tire (happened twice). No regrets.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Damn Yankee

Garage
I finally sourced a quality Boxster spare tire, and started exploring storage options. For starters, it doesn't look like the spare will fit upright in the frunk:

but it will fit on a slant, thereby negating almost all of the storage space.

Two possible places in the trunk: straddling the rear deck,

or on top of the engine cover.

With the spare on the engine cover, I noticed no interference with my rear view in the mirror. For trips that require luggage in both the front and rear trunks, I think this will work best, as long as the spare is securely tied down with some sturdy rubber straps.

For just tooling around town, I may opt for the rear deck option, as I use the frunk frequently.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #5

Spare tire for Cayman

FYI: This is what Suncoast Porsche Parts and Accessories says about the spare tire kit they sell:

"Factory spare Tire kit for the rear of a Cayman, fits perfectly under the rear hatch. Nylon straps connect to the rear tie-down fasteners, and hardware is contained inside the storage bag. This all-inclusive kit comes with a spare tire, storage bag, scissor jack, and rim wrench. A handy accessory, ideal for road trips.
Install and drive with caution, intended for short distances at low speeds. Fits all 2006-2012 Cayman models. Not compatible with the Ceramic Brake System.

How does this work?
- For a flat front tire - This is a direct replacement for the stock front wheel.
- For a flat rear tire - This scenario requires an additional step. In this case, the spare tire must be installed on your front of the car, and your front wheel/tire must be transferred to the rear (to replace the defective rear wheel). In other words, this spare tire won't fit on the rear, so you can use your front tire as a temporary replacement.

This can vary on certain models, but accurate for most."

https://www.********************************************** ******.com/product/CSTK.html

Suncoast doesn't include the jackpad that's necessary to avoid damaging the underside of the car when jacking it up, so that's another necessary purchase.
jdavis8361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
Damn Yankee

Garage
I'm aware of the Suncoast kit, but I spent about 10% of its cost on my solution, which should be just as elegant.

Just sayin'...........

TO
Old 02-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #7
NewUserName

I was considering buying another front tire/wheel - will that also fit the rear for use as a spare?

Edit:
Just re-read post by jdavis - seems the answer is YES.

Last edited by DoninDel; 02-13-2019 at 05:37 AM. Reason: stupidity
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #8

Easy - what else is a passenger to do? Make them hold the spare - No such thing as a free ride! LOL

Keep your eyes open for a 9x7 compact spare... will fit in frunk no problem... Part and parcel to that is double checking function of your compact inflator (and carry a couple spare fuses with you too).

Good luck
Old 02-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
Damn Yankee

Garage
Today was the first day I drove with a spare tire in the trunk. Was just about to pull into my garage when I heard a telltale click from the left rear corner. Sure enough, I collected a nail embedded in my left rear tire.

I live less than a mile than my tire supplier, and I was able to drive over there for a quick repair, with a watchful eye on my TPMS screen.

Ironic? I think not; it would have been ironic if this happened on the first day I drove without a spare.

Just sayin'...........

TO