Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
Damn Yankee

Garage
Spare Tire

OK Guys,

I've been going around the block for several months trying to arrive at a suitable solution for equipping our Caymans with spare tires. (I just don't like the idea of traveling without one.)

Been overloaded with TMI about space saver tires, their ages, whether 986 spare would fit, etc. Searched all the boards and still not confident with a rock solid option.

Even bought a collapsible spare on eBay that didn't work out, and got stiffed on the return shipping.

Any thoughts?

Just wonderin'..............

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Any thoughts?
1) Fully charged cell phone
2) Credit card
3) Vulcanized tire plug kit (and know how to use it)
4) Add towing insurance to your policy and/or add AAA if you are really risk adverse
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
Damn Yankee

Garage
Check on all points.

Still looking for a spare tire.

TO
Old 10-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
1) Fully charged cell phone
2) Credit card
3) Vulcanized tire plug kit (and know how to use it)
4) Add towing insurance to your policy and/or add AAA if you are really risk adverse
The problem with all of those points (except for #3, and that would require an air pump), is that if you are in the middle of nowhere, you may not have cell coverage. I suppose that Illinois is different, but where I live, some of the best roads are pretty remote, and there is no cell coverage. Even if there was, it would take hours for a tow truck to arrive, and the bill for that would be hundreds of dollars.

I can change a flat tire and be on my way in fifteen minutes. Having to sit by the side of the road for hours, then ride in a tow truck for another couple of hours, and then hope that there is a tire repair place in the tiny town you are getting towed to just doesn't make sense when all that could have been avoided if you had a spare tire.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Check on all points.

Still looking for a spare tire.

TO
A 986 spare will bolt right up and do you proper.
Call or text Woody... itsnotanova.
He’s gotta have a spare or two lying around that he could fix you up with.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
The problem with all of those points (except for #3, and that would require an air pump),
The OP has Caymans. Caymans have a built it air pump for about the past 12 years. FYI.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:47 AM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

This is why.....

......Hokey Religions and cell phones are no replacement for a good spare tire at your side.

Just buy a 986 spare tire and slap it in your frunk and start road tripping in peace.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
The OP has Caymans. Caymans have a built it air pump for about the past 12 years. FYI.
That doesn't help if you get damage to a sidewall.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
You can still find a 986 spare and they will fit over the engine compartment or rear trunk,leaning forward into the cabin. Last I checked they will not fit in the Cayman Frunk. No really great options to carry one unless you want to rack it on top Baja 1000 style.

FWIW I have been running around the barren desert all over Mojave, Southern Nevada, and Arizona in my Porsche for 13 years with no spare and never needed one. I do run good tires, inflated properly, and carry a 12v compressor, tire plugs, and slime. I have picked up 3 nails/screws in those years but always just kept the air at 30psi and drove it to a tire shop a few days later. The tires rarely needed the air topped off and were practically self sealing on their own.

Pick your poison. When in doubt, take the SUV instead.

Last edited by Topless; 10-02-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
Damn Yankee

Garage
My main concern is sidewall damage. I know three fellow PCA members who have suffered flats in the last few years. One was a simple puncture on the tread, easily fixed with a on-the-spot tire plug. The other two were sidewall cuts, and were hugely inconvenient.

One was at Boxstoberfest on the Twisted Sisters. 987 Boxster, no spare, no cellphone reception. It took 9 hours for that poor guy to get off that mountain and back into town. Then he had to layover for three days at a hotel, at $175.00 a night, until he could source a new tire. Classic "My kingdom for a horse" scenario.

I'm probably overthinking the whole situation, or maybe I'm just having a hard time coping with owning a car without a spare tire for the first time in my life.

Just sayin'..............

TO
Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #11

I had a pic of a 986 spare on my 987 orange LE but I must have deleted it. I had a 2008 base Boxster Wheeler Dealer car that had the 986 spare in the frunk. I sold the spare separately, so I think I deleted the pic. But it does fit.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Wow! I have a Boxstoberfest flat tire story, too!

I was at Boxstoberfest in 2016.

I got a flat on the group run on Saturday at 3:30pm on Texas 83, about a mile south of Texas 41.

Zero cell service.

I was last car of the train and had an FRS radio and called out I had a flat. A nice guy in an air cooled 911 turned around and came to me. He had a Harbor Freight aluminum jack in his car and I put the spare tire on. I blew out my sidewall. Plug kit was no joy.

I drove up to the gas station a mile up on 41 and used their land line to call the Discount Tire store in Kerrvile.

I got there on my spare tire FIVE minutes before they closed on Saturday.

On the phone call I knew they had a rear tire that fit and told them to hold it for me.

I got the tire mounted and returned to the Hanger Hotel for the night.

I woke up Sunday morning and drove home to Louisiana.

If I had not had that spare tire, I would not have made it home in time for work on Monday. I would have been so far passed screwed, I wouldn’t have been able to catch a bus back to being screwed.

That spare tire saved me at least two days of my life and my job.

Just find a way to fit one in your car.

BTW, that’s one reason why I bought a 986 back in 2015.

That and the oil dipstick.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."

Last edited by 10/10ths; 10-02-2018 at 05:50 PM.
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #13

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories sells one. This is what they say about it:

"Factory spare Tire kit for the rear of a Cayman, fits perfectly under the rear hatch. Nylon straps connect to the rear tie-down fasteners, and hardware is contained inside the storage bag. This all-inclusive kit comes with a spare tire, storage bag, scissor jack, and rim wrench. A handy accessory, ideal for road trips.
Install and drive with caution, intended for short distances at low speeds. Fits all 2006-2012 Cayman models. Not compatible with the Ceramic Brake System.

How does this work?
- For a flat front tire - This is a direct replacement for the stock front wheel.
- For a flat rear tire - This scenario requires an additional step. In this case, the spare tire must be installed on your front of the car, and your front wheel/tire must be transferred to the rear (to replace the defective rear wheel). In other words, this spare tire won't fit on the rear, so you can use your front tire as a temporary replacement.

This can vary on certain models, but accurate for most."

Their spare tire kit is not cheap: $1,095.00

No reviews.

jD

Last edited by jdavis8361; 10-03-2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: couple of typos
jdavis8361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #14

Spare Tire

Quote:
OK Guys,

I've been going around the block for several months trying to arrive at a suitable solution for equipping our Caymans with spare tires. (I just don't like the idea of traveling without one.)

Been overloaded with TMI about space saver tires, their ages, whether 986 spare would fit, etc. Searched all the boards and still not confident with a rock solid option.

Even bought a collapsible spare on eBay that didn't work out, and got stiffed on the return shipping.

Any thoughts?

Just wonderin'..............

TO

A 986 spare should fit a Cayman. I just can’t understand why the first guy ever bought a car with no spare. If he had refused the manufacturers would have found a way to continue including them. Air cooled 911s had very Limited space in the frunk but Porsche had a decent option. I still have extra Porsche spares from a couple of different era cars. When rx8s first came out without a spare I wanted one. Not sure why I wanted one, but I told the dealer I would buy it if he fitted a spare in the trunk at no extra charge. He refused, asking me several hundred bucks and I walked. He called me the next day offering to do it, but in the meantime I bought a used 996.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ymkmkrz; 10-06-2018 at 07:04 AM.
ymkmkrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:25 PM   #15

Garage
How any punctures have you had in your motoring life. I have had two in the last 30-40 years.
Have a 12V air pump.
Puncture repair kit
Bottle of tyre foam
Boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #16
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatin View Post
How any punctures have you had in your motoring life. I have had two in the last 30-40 years.
Have a 12V air pump.
Puncture repair kit
Bottle of tyre foam
Exactly what I'm running. Unless you're offroading in your Boxster, or drive down a road paved with pins, needles, nails, spike strips, etc... pffffffffffffffft.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Exactly what I'm running. Unless you're offroading in your Boxster, or drive down a road paved with pins, needles, nails, spike strips, etc... pffffffffffffffft.
Same here, plus AAA My issue with the whole spare tire thing is what are you going to do with a rear tire that is flat? It either has to be strapped to the trunk or in the passenger seat, and if you have a passenger? AAA is my best bet with the patch kit and pump a back up.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Same here, plus AAA My issue with the whole spare tire thing is what are you going to do with a rear tire that is flat? It either has to be strapped to the trunk or in the passenger seat, and if you have a passenger? AAA is my best bet with the patch kit and pump a back up.
A flat tire will fit in the back shelf of my Cayman while using a small bungee cord to keep the rear trunk lid partially closed.

Ask me how I know this.

But seriously, I have experienced several punctures over the years just driving on roads in the DFW Metroplex. Never anything serious; I always drove home. I also subscribe to AAA with a 200 mile tow range.

But I would like to take some road trips into the wild frontier, i.e. through areas that don't have shops that normally stock 265/40-18 tires.

The stock 986 spare seems to be the solution. And the 987 owners have also become aware of this. Finding a decent one at a reasonable price is becoming more difficult.

Just sayin'...........

TO
Old 12-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #19
NewUserName

The last 2 flats I had were (with a non-Porsche):
1) Bent rim from debris in the road
2) Cracked rim from a pothole filled with water

If I hadn't had a spare, I would have been screwed both times.
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis8361 View Post
Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories sells one. This is what they say about it:

"Factory spare Tire kit for the rear of a Cayman, fits perfectly under the rear hatch. Nylon straps connect to the rear tie-down fasteners, and hardware is contained inside the storage bag. This all-inclusive kit comes with a spare tire, storage bag, scissor jack, and rim wrench. A handy accessory, ideal for road trips.
Install and drive with caution, intended for short distances at low speeds. Fits all 2006-2012 Cayman models. Not compatible with the Ceramic Brake System.

Their spare tire kit is not cheap: $1,095.00
Are they F***ing high?! $1100 to add a spare tire? You could do it much cheaper with Harbor Freight straps and a 986 wheel. GEEZ!

L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote