Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2017, 05:33 AM   #1

Exclamation Cayman rear lid release cable - where is it?

I'm at a complete loss on how to open the rear deck lid! Battery went dead in my '07 S, tried the positive post in the fuse box without any luck. Read somewhere that there is an emergency release cable in the left rear wheel well, but can't find it there (rear part of the inner lining is riveted to the heat shield - which I don't want to drill out unless ABSOULTELY necessary). Also found a thread saying you can get to this cable by slithering through the inside over the top of the engine and removing the rear tail light on the left side. But, I DON'T FIT back there.

Anybody have actual experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance!!

Doc

DoctorJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #2

On a 997 the rear lid emergency release is under the left side rear taillight. You can use a small hook about 6-8" long (like an old coat hanger - wrapped in something to protect your finish) to snake/sweep around in there and grab. It'll be under light taped to bumper cover. Should be very similar on 987.

That said... your battery is in your frunk so not sure why you are trying to access the rear deck lid to fix...

Anyhow... Do you have a cigarette lighter adapter for power source you tried to use on the fuse box post? If so, go ahead and use in one of cig lighter ports in cabin. You should be able to get enough 'juice' to activate frunk switch (maybe even start vehicle). If you couldn't do thru fuse box you may not have been grounded correctly and I would try again or thru one of cig lighter ports.

Good luck!