Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Shifter slop: what's normal?

I have an '01 5-speed with 24K miles. Last year the shifter started to loosen up a bit. Right now, in gear, the shifter wiggles about 1/2 inch at the handle. It seems to me it had maybe 1/8 inch play before it started to loosen, but I can't remember.

Dealer is willing to replace, but keeps saying it won't be any different. (And I hate the long trip into the city to get the job done)

B&M isn't out of the question--eventually, but I'd really just like to know how much free play is on comparable cars before I decide.

CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #2

Wiggles in what direction. Do you have the standard 5 speed shift knob and has it ever been taken off. Or do you have one of the optional shift knobs with a set screw.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
Forum Contributor

Charlie -

I also have an '01 with 35K - the shifter always felt loose - side to side a bunch. I just finished installing a B&M a month or so ago and all I can say is Holy-Smoly!!! It's like having a new car.

Let me know and you can take my Boxster and see if you like the B&M.

Matt
Matt (in MA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:17 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

I have the standard 5 speed, and it's never been removed.

It mostly wiggles in the forward-backward direction, like perhaps the cable(s) is stretched or something. Side to side seems fine.

Matt, I think your remarks have convinced me finally. I'll save the hastle of another Herb Chambers visit (can that make that place any harder to get to, heart of Brookline?) and wait for the B&M.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 05:06 AM   #5

I had my car in yesterday for a new ignition at Auto Europe (awesome repair shop) and when they pulled my car around the service tech got out and said what a great shifting car and wanted to know what i had done to the car, that's easy B&M. He continued to say that he love how positive the shifts feel. Don't wait best mod on my car, here is a link to a pretty good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2476528892&category=33736
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:05 AM   #6

I just purchased a B&M shifter and really looking forward to putting it in. How hard is it to put it in? Most shops tell me that it can be done within an hour. Anyone have any experience with putting one in?
psuball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
Forum Contributor

I put my B&M in myself and I'm a rank amature - it took me around three hours. I went really slow, took pictures along the way, waited for the paint marks on the cables to dry etc. had lunch etc.

Well worth the effort.

Matt
Matt (in MA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #8

It was easy the directions are good with pictures. just take your time and it should not be a problem

Automon is offline   Reply With Quote