Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #1

Garage
Max tire pressure rating question (NBC)

I'm getting ready to replace tires on my Explorer--Mich Cross Terrain--and settled on the Kumho Venture based on price and tire rack ratings.

As I get ready to place the order,I came across a tire spec that made me reconsider the purchase--a max tire pressure rating of 35PSI.

The Explorer has a recommnded tire pressure setting at 35PSI (cold) F/R; I tend to add a pund or two above that. Additionally as the tires heat this tire pressure may go up+5-7PSI depending on outside temp and how your driving. My concern is that despite having an appropriate load rating, this tire might not be able to handle the usual pressures I drive at.

When I ask called TireRack about this I had one rep say don't buy this tire and another say no problem. The technical section on tires on their website made it appear that this wouldn't be a problem but have to say when I see a stamp on the sidewall that say this is the max pressure, I tend to believe it.

Would appreciate any info on whether this is an reason to exclude this tire or not.
Thanks for any help.

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #2

The max cold pressure rating has to do with the maximum load the tire can carry.
The tire mfr is aware that actual running pressure will increase as the tire heats up. It's not a question of burst pressure, as the tire will withstand an unloaded pressure far in excess of the 35lbs printed on the sidewall.

Ford's recommendation is saying that inflating the recommended tires to 35lbs will allow them to safely carry a load equal to the maximum for which the vehicle is rated, vehicle wt. plus cargo/passengers.

If you habitually load the vehicle in excess of the mfrs recommendation then a 35lb inflation of the tires could not "safely" carry that load.

A 35lb tire is basically a passenger car tire. Since most SUVs are essentially 4 whl drive station wagons, I suppose that is appropriate.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote