Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #1

starting stored boxster after cold storage

This has probably been asked before but I am looking for advice on starting my Boxster after a long cold Wisconsin storage.
I probably won't be doing anything with it until April but I am worried about the oil "settling" issue. I know this is not a traditional engine as us Americans are accustomed to but I need input.
On my old v8 Mustangs, I would take the coil wire off and turn the engine over to assure oil being pumped up into the valve train , cylinders and upper portion of engine prior to throwing the coil wire back on and actually firing it up. It just gave me peace of mind and with my personality and my "anal retentiveness" it went along way!
Now with this boxster engine and its low mileage of around 13,000 miles, are there any good suggestions or tricks that you guys do when first starting your engines after long cold weather storage? Any input would be pearls to me at this point since I would hate to do something stupid and ruin my engine.
Thanks everyone for their input
Jeff

Nunzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
bmussatti

Nunzzio, here is a great thread:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7567&highlight=winter+storage

This is a key part from MNBoxster:

"You can do this in one of two ways. First, if a Manual, put the car in Neutral and push it back a few feet. Then, place the gearshift in 5th gear and push the car forward, this will rotate the engine. If you run out of room, say in a garage, go to neutral again and repeat procedure so you're sure one complete revolution of the engine has occured. This will loosen any frozen engine parts (such as rings, chains, etc.), without the extreme torque of the starter motor. This torque is so great that it can tear rings or do other damage. If you have a TipS car, take a large socket on a breaker bar and turn the crankshaft pulley bolt clockwise to rotate the engine. "

Last edited by bmussatti; 02-16-2007 at 06:39 PM.