Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2004, 06:40 PM   #1

Rear Wing

Uh....my rear wing has yet to retract today. Earlier the top wouldn't go up or down. That is now working again in a fluke of nature sort of way, but not the rear wing will not retract. Any ideas?

Anyone else's Boxster this finicky?

It headed to the shop Tuesday. Thankfully the car is still under warranty!

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:56 AM   #2

Not to insult you... are you are aware that there is a switch on pillar to the left of your left foot to operate the rear spoiler?

Anyway, the folks at Porsche N Scottsdale should help you out OK.

Ad Sach (10 year Scottsdale resident - by the airpark)
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:53 AM   #3

Not insulted at all! I have had the car for 6 days, and I haven't had time to read through the entire manual yet. I was going to finish it this weekend. Actually at the moment I am rather amused since I was playing with that switch and thinking to myself, what the heck does this thing do?! I'm definitely going to finish that manual this weekend!

I live near the airpark as well. I've been down in AZ/Scottsdale for 6 mos now. I like it so far. It's quite a change from Nebraska. Omaha is nice, but not enough to do there and the local government irritates me. Too conservative for my taste.

So do you have homes in both AZ and NY or just NY now?

By the way my name is Thor.

2005 Acura TL Nav
Old 04-21-2004, 05:14 PM   #4

I wish I had homes in both places - After a year of being unemployed IT I sold the AZ home and went to NY.

I strongly encourage you to join the AZ PCA (Porsche Club of America) - They have 3-4 activities a month, normally including a monthly drive and a monthly meeting (usually with free food).

http://az.pca.org/

Things will really slow down in the summer heat, but May is still a busy month for the club. Hiding from the heat in Az is a lot like hiding from the Snow, but you don't have to worry about slow drivers, road salt, and sliding off the road.

When Porsche made the worldwide press premiere of the Boxster it was in Scottsdale, AZ. To duplicate the road they chose to show off the Boxster - Go north from the Scottsdale Princess on Pima, Turn right at the stop sign in Cave Creek(cave creek road), turn right again in a few miles at Bartlett Dam road. When you reach the pay entrance to the lake, turn around and drive back. Bartlett Dam Rd will really show off what a magnificent car you now own!

If you go this route, watch out for offroad traffic in the gravel wash before the pay rd into Horse Dam Rd - other than that you usually have the road to yourself on a morning or weekday.

If you want to put on 200+ miles in a day:

AZ motorcycle roads
http://www.cbr1100xx.org/nav_rides.html

Salt River Canyon (a Looonnng day's drive)
http://www.azcentral.com/travel/arizona/features/articles/archive/saltrivercanyon.html

Coronado Trail
http://www.scenicdrivesonline.com/routes/SouthWest/AZ/AZ_4.shtml

Thor - aesir - got it.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #5

Hey I went and looked into joining PCA. What is an affiliate member? I'm trying to find out when and where I can take a friend to an autox or other events.

Do I have to list a friend as an affiliate member for her to watch?

2005 Acura TL Nav
Old 04-26-2004, 01:45 PM   #6

I believe the affiliate member gets to participate in events with the same rights as the main member. If you just want someone to be able to come and watch a Driver's Ed (track) event or similar, they do not have to be a member (in my region - Northeast - at least). However, they may have to be added to a spectator's list (or similar listing) by you to gain access to the track facility, etc.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #7

Unless your friend is drunk, they won't be turned away from watching an autocross - they might have to sign a waiver.

As DonV said:
To watch a track event, everyone has to sign a waiver, but usually it is no problem getting in. Sometimes the track has a list, sometimes they don't. If you email the DE chair ahead of time, they can be added to the list .
Old 04-26-2004, 09:40 PM   #8

Cool thanks...not sure if I should add anyone or not...hmmm...

2005 Acura TL Nav
Old 04-27-2004, 08:39 AM   #9

It costs you nothing to add someone, and you can change the name each year (they don't carry it over automatically). For some reason this didn't garner girlfriend points for me (she had no interest), so I switched to a another friend this year...