Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #1

Front Grills

How do I remove these. I want to replace mine w/new ones. I've searched this forum and renntech to figure out how to take the front bumper off, but I could not find anything. Do, I even have to take the bumper off to swap these out? If not...How do I do it?

pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #2

Hi,

These grills snap in from the backside. You need to remove the Bumper Cover to make the switch. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #3

Thanks Jim, but I cannot find how to remove the front bumper.
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #4

Hi,

One thought occurs to me. If your grills are not broken, but merely sun/salt faded, why replace them? Why not paint them Flat Black with a paint made for plastics like Krylon Fusion - http://www.krylon.com/main/color_product_viewer.cfm?productid=1751&sub_levelid=10&image_directory=/images/products/large/&image_name=fusion.jpg&image_alt=Krylon%AE+Fusion ? Their paint comes in Flat Black (# 2519) and costs under $8. If you replace them, they'll just fade again. But, you could just keep repainting these for a lot less money.

Send me a PM with your email addy and I'll send you step-by-step procedure for removing the Bumper Cover as a word doc. Hope this helps...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-09-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #5

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Porsche/Radiator/Radiator.html

Here is a link to Mike Rentner's website detailing how to remove the front bumper.

Norm
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #6

Hi Pompous, I painted my grills with some exterior plastic furniture paint and it's been 3 years now and they haven't faded at all, I recommend to sand them first and add a plastic adhesion primer before painting.
I had to remove the bumper to do this and while it's off I strongly recommend to remove any leaves and dirt near the 2 radiators.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
Hi Pompous, I painted my grills with some exterior plastic furniture paint and it's been 3 years now and they haven't faded at all, I recommend to sand them first and add a plastic adhesion primer before painting.
I had to remove the bumper to do this and while it's off I strongly recommend to remove any leaves and dirt near the 2 radiators.
Hi,

Good advice, but with the Krylon Fusion, there's no need to use a primer first, he won't have any adhesion problems by 1st prepping the surface and then doing the top coat in Fusion. I know, I've used it on plastic parts on my other car with great results...