Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #1

sensor compatibility

Does anyone know if the sensors used on the Boxster for things like engine and transmission temperature, pressure, etc are generic? As in, made by Bosch or something? Or if there is a universal standard for sensors?

I am asking coz I want to hook up some temperature gauges to the transmission, but don't want to drill new holes to put in new sensors. Just wondering if it'd work if I just hooked up a generic electric temperature gauge to the existing sensor in parrallel.

--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinster
Does anyone know if the sensors used on the Boxster for things like engine and transmission temperature, pressure, etc are generic? As in, made by Bosch or something? Or if there is a universal standard for sensors?

I am asking coz I want to hook up some temperature gauges to the transmission, but don't want to drill new holes to put in new sensors. Just wondering if it'd work if I just hooked up a generic electric temperature gauge to the existing sensor in parrallel.
Hi,

I don't understand why you would want to add temp gauges to the Tip S. It already has a Temp sensor which the DME uses to open/close the Coolant Shut-off valve to the ATF/Coolant Heat Exchanger. It is integral to the Tiptronic wiring harness - see below.

Also, this sensor's signal is sent to the DME via pin# 21 of the DME connector, though the DME probably extrapolates the temp from the strength of an electrical signal from the Temp Sensor and it's own software. Or, the Temp sensor may actually only close a circuit if a pre-determined temp threshold is reached, which is more likely the case. I doubt a generic temp gauge would work. You could drill and weld a bung to the Transmission Pan to accept a standard Temp Sender and go that route. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-06-2007 at 04:49 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:06 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

I want to add a temperature gauge so I can monitor the tip's temp. I used to have it on my previous ride. I don't want to stress the tip too much coz it costs heaps to rebuild - I've already done it once on the Boxster. My understanding is that tip temperature is critical to its longevity. So if I can monitor it, I can go easy on the throttle when it gets too hot.

I will try to hook up a voltmeter to DME #21 and maybe an electric gauge to see if I can get any sensible readings from it.

But it seems I got this coolant leak issue to solve first now. These cars, if it's not this, it's that. Something is always broken.

--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote