Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #1

Strange Sound from rear wheels

There is a strange 'doppler' noise coming from my rear wheel / axle that is now louder than the engine ( think pod racer scene from Star Wars episode I )

It is a 99 2.5l Boxster.

What could it be? Ive had the wheels rebalanced, and the tyres are only 2 months old?

Wheel bearings?

G

Dublin Ireland

Last edited by gdwyer; 02-05-2007 at 02:03 PM.
gdwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
boggtown

Check to see if you have a huge rock stuck in the treads, or worse, a screw or something.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #3

My guess is rear wheel bearing part # 999-053-041-03-M34 Manfactured by "FAG" .......or a pod racer is chasing you.

Last edited by ohioboxster; 02-05-2007 at 02:11 PM.
ohioboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
********************************az sells them for $27.16 each new,Boxster only not Boxster S. They are fast,friendly and professional.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
Take a look at the CV joint boots as well. If the boots are cracked and the joints have dried out, thay can make that type of noise.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #6

bearing noise

An easy way to check if it is the bearing is find an empty quiet parking lot, turn off the radio and roll down the window cruising at about 20 to 25 mph swerve side to side if you hear that moaning noise get louder and softer as you swerve in opposite directions it is you bearing. The side where you swerve and hear the noise is most likely the bad side. I had a bearing go bad at about 35,000 miles, part was cheap less than 50 bucks each, but very labor intensive. Must remove the hub and have the bearing pressed out and new one pressed in. You will also need the tie rod tool to remove a couple of tie rods...
986s sport design pkg, aerokit 1, litronics,deviating seat stitching, guards red seat belts, cf ebrake/shift knob,ssk, sport seats, hard top, full alpine system with 8" sub, mb quart speakers, Champion rg5, Eibach springs, sport exhaust, rear stess bars, custom ecu program, desnorkle intake, euro bumper, rear diffuser
ray986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #7

@ray986s,

Good suggestion. Another way is to jack up the car, wheel off the groud. Grab the wheel and see if it has any noticeable side-to-side motion (it shouldn't). If it does, then the bearings need attention. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #8

Similar fate...

I am in a similar position, although my noise definitely does not drown out the engine, and is coupled with a minor road vibration. Also does change with road surface.

My assumption was tires - I have some crap Kuhmo Supra's on at the moment that were on there when I bought the car. I had them rebalanced and still the noise, though less vibration. Every review I have read said that these tires were terrible for road noise - I am going to change them in a few weeks to PS's, but will take the test above to determine whether it may be a bearing.

Great post - thanks for the heads up. Good luck.
kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #9

tires vs bearing

The sound associated with noisy tires and bearing is very simmilar. They both have a similar deep moaning sound. At first I thought it was my tires due to it being half way worn down and my car only had about 35,000 on it so I did not think my bearing would already be going bad. One thing that was apparent is the noise was consistent on any surface and got louder as I swerve side to side. Tire noise will often vary depending on the road surface. Also tire noise can be alterred depending on the tire pressure. Kumho's I know does tend to get noisy especially when you are down to less than 50% tread life (this is from my experience with my old car GTI)

The other method about jacking the car up and feeling for play side to side on the wheel only works when the bearing is really worn, In my case I tried this test and could not feel and play. Also healpfull is having the top up when trying the swerving test, it helps you better hear the moaning noise. I also remember reading on Renntech that it was common for bearing on driver side to go out...
986s sport design pkg, aerokit 1, litronics,deviating seat stitching, guards red seat belts, cf ebrake/shift knob,ssk, sport seats, hard top, full alpine system with 8" sub, mb quart speakers, Champion rg5, Eibach springs, sport exhaust, rear stess bars, custom ecu program, desnorkle intake, euro bumper, rear diffuser
ray986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #10

my outcome

Definitely the tires. Did the parking lot sweeping turns and no sounds whatsoever. I checked the pressure and the rears were a little low (around 32) so put them back to 36. Some improvement, but still noisy. Good luck with your gdwyer....

kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote