Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #1

Thumbs down UPDATE - "stalled engine - help!"

Hello all,

Thanks for your encouragement and "crossed fingers" re my last post. I found out from the Porsche dealer that the timing chain broke from the intermediate shaft to the camshaft. As I've seen a number of times on the web, this requires a rebuilt engine from Porsche, with a pricetag of $10,335 (installed). I am waiting to hear back from Porsche whether they will offer any "good will" assistance. Truthfully, I haven't heard of any other high-end car with as many problems with premature engine failure as the Boxster. From looking at the many posts across this nation, I think it is time to consider a class-action lawsuit...

I guess this will teach me for not purchasing a certified pre-owned, eh?!

fahlmanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Did you have any extended warranty at all?

Good luck with Porsche .. . . You will need it.

-T
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #3

No extended warranty - obviously one of my greatest regrets...
Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahlmanb
Hello all,

Thanks for your encouragement and "crossed fingers" re my last post. I found out from the Porsche dealer that the timing chain broke from the intermediate shaft to the camshaft. As I've seen a number of times on the web, this requires a rebuilt engine from Porsche, with a pricetag of $10,335 (installed). I am waiting to hear back from Porsche whether they will offer any "good will" assistance. Truthfully, I haven't heard of any other high-end car with as many problems with premature engine failure as the Boxster. From looking at the many posts across this nation, I think it is time to consider a class-action lawsuit...

I guess this will teach me for not purchasing a certified pre-owned, eh?!
Hi,

Sorry for your predicament. I was afraid it had to do with the mechanical timing, especially with the one cylinder bank affected and the loss of compression.

The weird thing is, the timing chain almost never fails on these (I have never heard of this, not once!). GREAT - if true, now we all have some other questionable engine component to worry about.

It's usually the Intermediate shaft which fails, leaving slack in the timing chain which then gets the engine timing out of sync, bends valves, and otherwise does the nasty, to your nice high-performance interference engine. I wouldn't be surprised if they're either mistaken, or fibbing, about the cause. Or if an intermediate shaft failure caused the chain to snap.

Good Luck w/ Porsche. Be persistant, this is what usually works. Keep your cool, but work your way up the foodchain to try and get some goodwill until you hit the wall, but politely, don't take NO for an answer.

If no-joy from Porsche, consider a 3.4L upgrade, it's about the same price..

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-06-2007 at 02:00 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Forget a Boxster engine,just pay a couple grand more and have a 996 engine installed and have a new clutch installed to cope with the power difference. What year is your Boxster?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Forget a Boxster engine,just pay a couple grand more and have a 996 engine installed and have a new clutch installed to cope with the power difference. What year is your Boxster?
Model Year '02.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-02-911-996-3-6-3-6L-Complete-Engine-Motor-18K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ006QQitem Z160080796405QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Old 02-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #8

Thanks much for the link - are the engines from Los Angeles Porsche Dismantler trust-worthy?? I see that they have a 100% satisfaction rating on eBay... BTW, my Boxster is a 2002 - so does that mean I can only transplant a 3.4L (not a 3.6L)??

Does anyone know of other options for RELIABLE 911 (or 986) engines for the transplant? I'm now shell-shocked, and don't want to go through this again!
Old 02-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #9

I would never ever ever EVER bu from LA Porsche Dismantlers again! Their cutomer service is horrible and the stuff they send out is crap. Do a search on here about them or over at rennlist or renntech. They're bad.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahlmanb
Thanks much for the link - are the engines from Los Angeles Porsche Dismantler trust-worthy?? I see that they have a 100% satisfaction rating on eBay...
They offer to refund all your money if you're not satisfied, but they give you tons of grief over it and they use feedback as leverage to get you to "see things their way". Go into their feedback and actually read the comments.....lots of unsatisfied buyers who mutually withdrew the feedback.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #11

Hi,

My experience w/ LA Porsche Dismantlers is about 50/50. I've had one very positive experience and one in which I returned the part because it's condition was misrepresented when I bought it. Aside from offering it to me at a considerable discount, when I refused that option, they did take the return and refunded me promptly.

Bottom line: LAPD can be a decent source, but check the part thoroughly, get a comittment from the person at LAPD prior to buying it and keep the name, date and time of the person you spoke with, so you're armed with something if it turns out badly.

That said, I would not buy a used engine from them. I'd be more inclined to contact some insurance Cos. to find a low-mileage salvage 911 which was totalled from a front-end collision. This can be much cheaper and possibly more reliable (though probably no refunds available). Hope this helps...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #12

Problem now "fixable"??

FYI, here's an update on my Boxster woes...

You were right re the intermediate shaft failure on my '02 Boxster. Our Porsche dealer said that his tech found out that the intermediate shaft failed which caused the timing chain to break. ALSO, his tech found out from a dealer in CA that this is able to be fixed(!). They are now quoting me $7554 to fix the intermediate shaft problem (45 hrs labor + parts). What do you think - should I take the chance with them fixing it? I am hoping this would be covered by a warranty if Porsche does the repair - i.e., if it fails again they should cover it (?). My thought is to spend as little as possible getting it fixed & then buy an extended warranty (from WarrantyDirect, etc.) in case something else fails later on. A remanufactured engine is ca. $2800 more, but also comes with a 2yr/unlim. warranty from Porsche (would probably still get an extended warranty, for protection past the 2yr mark!)...

Response from MNBoxster:

I would still go for the replacement as there could have been many things damaged (though not necessarily broken) when the IMS blew. I mean you're 80% there already. It'd take a complete engine/head/crank disassembly (even Magnaflux the Head and Block) to determine that everything is intact and within spec. They're not doing all that for $7500. I did hear that the Dealers were replacing the IMS with an upgraded one, but I wouldn't trust it after the incident you had. It may hurt to cough up the additional $$, but it's well worth it IMHO, and a false economy not to. Hope this helps...

Old 03-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #13

Final Update - Boxster Engine Problem...

Hello all,

Well, I got the Boxster back from Porsche in Lansing on Tuesday night (7 weeks of work - $7700 total). While driving around town on Wed., I heard a clicking sound from the engine. As I drove ahead to get it off the road, it made a loud snapping noise and then stalled - towed back to the dealer. They called me today to inform me that their tech who has been working on Porsche cars for 34 years didn't properly fasten a clip that is used on either side of the timing chain. Hence, the timing chain slipped off, and this time TOTALLY damaged the engine! Needless to say, Porsche will now put in a new engine at their expense - probably as early as late next week (sent via freight from Atlanta).

Regarding the Porsche "food chain", I got a letter stating that they will not supply any good will warranty since the failure occurred "more than a year after the warranty expired". Though the Porsche database lists the in-service date as 10/01, I just noticed that the maintenance manual shows an official stamp from Porsche in New Jersey clearly stating the in-service date was 2/27/02 (mileage: 65 mi). Since the failure occurred in 01/22/07, this is LESS than 1 year after the 4yr/50K expiration -- this info. may help my fight...

Just a final update - looking forward to driving it again without worries of yet another breakdown!!

Cheers,

Brad.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
im confused, so are you covered or not????

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
bmussatti

Sounds like he is covered now for a new engine, but not covered for the $7,700 he just spent.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
oh I see! well he can always write that off on his taxes if he has to pay-up to the IRS

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #17

Hopefully you have better luck w/ the new engine,hang in there!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #18

Thanks - I hope so too!

I am not too optimistic re the outcome of my fight with Porsche for good will from my orig. breakdown (esp. since they already have my money!) -- I never back down from a good fight

CJ_Boxster: Good point re a tax write-off - never thought of that!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
im confused, so are you covered or not????
Basically looks like he paid to have the engine fixed... and the tech screwed up, grenading his engine again. Since it was the tech's mistake, the dealer is now eating the cost of a reman engine.

I am curious to see if NOW, Porsche will warrant the reman engine.

Hoping no one else (particularly MYSELF) ever has to go through this. Glad I got a warranty.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #20
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Basically looks like he paid to have the engine fixed... and the tech screwed up, grenading his engine again. Since it was the tech's mistake, the dealer is now eating the cost of a reman engine.

I am curious to see if NOW, Porsche will warrant the reman engine.

Hoping no one else (particularly MYSELF) ever has to go through this. Glad I got a warranty.
I think PCNA gives a 2-year warranty with the new engine.