Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #1

Ichiba O2 Simulator Adaptor CEL Fix (Mechanical): Universal

Hey Folks,
Any thoughts on this item from one of our sponsors RBD? I really don't know how this works or functions.

Here's the quick link below:

http://www.racebydesign.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_23_125&products_id=580

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #2

Hi,

That makes absolutely no sense to me. Just installing a plug is not likely to placate the DME, which is looking for an actual signal from the would-be sensor. If it actually does work, someone's gonna have to explain to me how...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Its basically an anti-fouler for your O2 sensor. Say you decide to remove your cats on your exhaust, well the excessive heat will cause them to fail due to heat and give false readings.. All this does is set your O2 sensor (behind the cat) about half an inch higher out of the exhaust which is just about how far you would need to be to protect it from excessive heat and give a more accurate reading that the dme is expecting to get... I've done this to my friends rsx-type-s when he got racing headers.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #4

Thanks CJ that was very informative. Now let me ask you this, for all of us who put on performance headers and ended up changing (re: or will change in my case) our O2 sensors....wouldn't it make sense to include something like this as part of the package for an install? Although, I do understand that CEL lights come on for various reasons,.... but I still think this should be part of the install package if this thing is really that effective in keeping the heat down or getting the correct reading of sorts. What do you think?

Last edited by dcporsche99; 02-02-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #5

In addition...

.... when I spoke to my porsche mechanic while he was working on my headers, I asked him about the headers themselves...anyway, I noticed that the stock headers and gaskets have a recess, while the performance ones are flat...he mentioned that this recess allows the exhaust to cool (though I honestly don't know the physics behind it--and maybe I misunderstood him?? ).

In short, would this not mean that my headers should be hotter??? Sorry, for my ignorance in advance. Also, I noticed that the stock headers have a "heat shield" or something that looks like one around the cat-end while the performance headers do not.

So, I guess my point is, if these headers are being marketed for street use wouldn't it make more sense to keep it cooler? I understand that keeping it cooler may lose some hp, but if I lost 2-5hp that would be reasonable to me as long as I wouldn't have to go through the hassel of changing this and that because of a mod....anyway, I guess I am rambling on...

Last edited by dcporsche99; 02-02-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #6

BTW, how did it work out for your friend after he installed the headers? Did they do the trick? Are they only for track use?

I would be curious to see how this thing works...but I guess I would just be happy if my CEL light turns off after I put in new O2 sensors...because we all know what they say about "curiosity"
Old 02-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Its basically an anti-fouler for your O2 sensor. Say you decide to remove your cats on your exhaust, well the excessive heat will cause them to fail due to heat and give false readings.. All this does is set your O2 sensor (behind the cat) about half an inch higher out of the exhaust which is just about how far you would need to be to protect it from excessive heat and give a more accurate reading that the dme is expecting to get... I've done this to my friends rsx-type-s when he got racing headers.
Hi,

That's bogus. If you remove the Cats, there is no excessive heat, it all goes out the tailpipes. You build-up about 5-10 times more heat with the Cats in place than without them.

I still don't buy it. I see now that this is just a Bung extension, that you still use the OČ sensor. There is no difference in the heat using this, nor does heat affect the way an OČ sensor works, it measures a change in voltage dependent upon the OČ content in the exhaust stream...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #8

Ohhhh...interesting reply Jim. Thanks for the clarification. I, honestly, still wouldn't know how this contraption is suppose to do what it says in the advertisement, especially since it would house the sensor only a few cm or inches higher.