Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #1

racing headers ok?

OK. I finally decided I waste too much $$ on girls and never buy myself ****************.

I have made the decision to make a purchase from fabspeed because I trust them.

I want to buy their $1900 racing headers that don't have cats and are supposedly not emissions legal. I don't care about emissions, but I want to know if these are my best bet for results. I mean there is literally no restriction there. I just want RESULTS for my $$.

Another option is the muffler. I am glad it saves weight and it will sound better, but I am not buying the "up to 19.4hp gain" (which btw was done on a cayman S model, not on my base 987 or a base c7). This is $1400.

The last option is their DME flash. I called and they priced it at $995. Is this the best guarantee for power gain? I mean if it is being programmed to make more power, how can it not gain power?

The guy also said that this is not detectable by Porsche mechanics.

So I dunno what to do, but I've made the decision to invest $$ in my car and stop effing around w/ brainless girls who waste my $$ and time.

Another good option is to get the muffler and then wait till I save some more and get the ECU flash.

So please help me w/ your input. I have made the decision to do this already.

PS: I'm also buying the schnell short shift kit & a k&n air filter.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #2

Realize that the ECU upgrade, Intake change and exhause system all work together. Short of taking the motor apart to change valve sizes, camshafts and and pistons, you are limited in what you can improve and how much that improvement will be.

An air intake system that breathes easier, should allow you to get air into the motor somewhat easier. A non-restricted exhaust, will allow you to get rid of exhaust easier. But without an ECU re-flash, you likely won't notice much. The ECU controls the fuel/air mixture. This is vital since, to make power, you need, Air, Fuel and Spark. Most ECU upgrades are a "rob peter to pay paul" scenario. You might gain HP in the upper RPM ranges and sacrifice some low end torque to get it.

To do all three would be the "right" way (intake, ECU and Exhaust which, hen combined could give you 10% more power (or whatever the "claim" may be)). 10% of 245 is 24.5 giving you approx 270hp. From a validation standpoint, it mich be worth the $$ to have the car dyno'd after each stage to see how each change improves performance and then have the overall numbers as well.

Just remember to replace the exhaust before your state emmisions are due. I would also think (just a guess here) that the OBDII system would notice the changed exhaust (no cats/no O2 sensors in place). I would also believe it illegal for any shop, nowadays, to install parts that are purely "race only" in nature on a street registered vehicle. Not sure how much the dealer appreciates that, from a warranty perspective, on a leased vehicle
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
bmussatti

I think you will require a good set of ear-plugs!

Hey...I thought this most recent girl was a your "keeper".
Old 01-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
One of the racing spec Boxsters had a custom exhaust built. Sporttech takes any stock muffler and they mod it. I have the dyno charts of the results which are not to be taken lightly;not a single loss in torque on the powerband and only -1 HP loss under 2.5k RPM,+11.8hp at 4.5k RPM,+13.8lbs. at 4.5k RPM AT THE WHEELS. Now that's only on the 2.5L engine,I assume the 2.7,3.2 & 3.4 can gain more from it. It cost $450 labor/$50 parts & you supply the muffler. It has resonance at around 3k RPM but who cares for those type of proven power gains. Send me a email at gl-g100rcd@sbcglobal.net and I can email you the dyno charts and contact info.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #5

Thank you, racer d.

One of my friends told me that. That removing air restrictions AND an ECU flash would be the most effective way w/out rebuilding the engine.

Unfortunately, there's not really an intake for a 987. There's a... well, it's a cone filter, but I am not exactly sure wtf to do w/ it.

http://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=detail&PID=159582

It looks like that. I suppose I just put the cone filter onto the OEM air hose? If so, is that REALLY worth 369 bucks? Will it even do anything? It looks like it has less surface area than the damn OEM AIR FILTER!!!

HOWEVER.

Imagineauto has this

http://www.imagineauto.com/boxster02.htm

It's a chip flash and an intake for 1390.

That's actually slightly more than the $995 fabspeed flash + $369 for the GMP "intake".

So what do you think? I think it's gonna be one or the other, unless I determine that the GMP intake is crap and the imagineauto people give you the same crappy intake that GMP offers, in which case I'll just buy the muffler.

Wow I know this is a lot and it feels like I've gone this route before w/ you guys, but I have a better idea now and most importantly, I have my checkbook out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussati

I thought this one was your keeper

I thought so also. She is awesome, but she did something really stupid I can't forgive her for

Blinkwatt: What place does that? I live in NY, remember. Do I send them my muffler?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Blinkwatt: What place does that? I live in NY, remember. Do I send them my muffler?
Yep,no problem that's what I'm gonna do.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #7

Definitely will consider that, but as you might imagine, I'm not counting those unhatched chickens yet. You can email me @ bronxmikee@hotmail.com if you like, for more info. If that is really possible, I'd definitely do it. Of course I have to account for at least $100 of shipping as well.

The only reason I want to use fabspeed is because they seem very credible. They have videos of everything and seem professional.

Imagineauto seems okay but a lot of crap on their site is spelled incorrectly and it makes me wonder. I'm just not sure what to expect...

I don't wanna get screwed by anyone and get a crap product.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #8

You know, after reading edevlin's thread, maybe I should follow and try saving weight off my car.

I just wonder if removing the air bags is difficult to do

It'd probably be considerably cheaper too.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't wanna get screwed by anyone and get a crap product.
Head over to the Boxster Racing Board,they are the ones that use them and have had them made by Mark at Sporttech. Mark owns and drives a Boxster and he is known in the Porsche community.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #10

I just searched for some topics on the racing forum

One guy said he removed the muffler.

How does that work? If I don't need a muffler, I don't want it!

Can I get straight pipes?

Blah. So many questions

Thanks guys.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
One guy said he removed the muffler.

How does that work? If I don't need a muffler, I don't want it!

Can I get straight pipes?
Dude,Mark at Sporttech takes a stock muffler,guts it,installs 1.5" pipes coming from each side and leads them to the tip,welds it back shut and bam your good to go. Looks stock,but is essentially straight pipes.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:04 AM   #12

Okay. How do I reach him???