Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #1

Cold start noise

I just got my car back, hit a block of concrete on the HWY and busted the oil pan/cover. This is my first winter with it and when I started it for the first time in a couple days I got a dry pump/gear clattering that went a way after a few seconds when the oil pressure came up, it sounds like the oil pump drained and was dry.

Just wondering if this is normal, thanks

Last edited by thomschoon; 01-25-2007 at 06:08 PM.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 PM   #2

Hi,

When was the Oil last changed? Old Oil can thicken and take several seconds longer to circulate than fresh Oil. Also, it takes longer to circulate when cold on really cold days - how's your weather in PA? The Oil shouldn't all drain from the pump in just a couple of days. Probably nothing, but keep an eye on it and the Oil pressure idiot light on the dash. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:12 AM   #3

Ditto what Jim said and also, make sure new oil is M1 0-40 or Red Line 5-40. Both flow well at low temps and at start up.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the replys, the car has fresh M1 and was sitting at the Philly airport for 3 days in the cold. My concern was that maybe the oil pickup tube or something was cracked/broken, which allowed the pump to drain and the noise I heard was a dry oil pump. My 911 sits for months and doesnt make a peep when started, I know the 986 has a wet versus a dry sump system but it still didnt sound that good to me, but maybe that is how they are suppose to be.

thanks
Thom
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomschoon
Thanks for the replys, the car has fresh M1 and was sitting at the Philly airport for 3 days in the cold. My concern was that maybe the oil pickup tube or something was cracked/broken, which allowed the pump to drain and the noise I heard was a dry oil pump. My 911 sits for months and doesnt make a peep when started, I know the 986 has a wet versus a dry sump system but it still didnt sound that good to me, but maybe that is how they are suppose to be.

thanks
Thom
I believe both are dry sump.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #6

i bet you it is the flap that is located in the exhaust system. I had the same clatter with mine and that was it.
sales@srapos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #7

"i bet you it is the flap that is located in the exhaust system. I had the same clatter with mine and that was it."

Hi,
Not sure what you're talking about. Do you have a pic? Thanks.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Im also very interested in the flap your talking about.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #9

Hi,

This is only applicable with the Sport Exhaust System - option code XLF. The sound behavior of the system is controlled as a function of the vehicle speed. The sports exhaust system has two extra exhaust passageways which are opened and closed by control flaps. The flaps are activated by means of a control unit, which receives a speed signal from the speedometer. This exhaust system produces a sporty, powerful sound when both flaps are open. Visible differences between the sports exhaust system and the standard exhaust system are:
  • Visible merging of the exhaust pipes below the rear bumper cover.
    Eccentric double tailpipe with extra ports.

The exhaust pipe is made from polished, stainless steel. The engine power and exhaust behavior of the car is not affected. The system is fully described in TSB 2/00 2 2601.

This is an optional system and not too common. It resembles the 'S' exhaust in that it also has two tips, but it is not the 'S' exhaust, it is optional and involves installing a Control Unit, a vacuum tank (for the actuator valves) and an extra wiring harness. It also resembles the aftermarket tuned exhausts you find on eBay where the extra tubing is welded to the muffler body of a used exhaust and routed directly to the exhaust tip. Hope this helps...

Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #10

"It also resembles the aftermarket tuned exhausts you find on eBay where the extra tubing is welded to the muffler body of a used exhaust and routed directly to the exhaust tip."

I've seen these and have wondered about how "good" they are, whatever that means. I guess I'd be worried about the potential for resonance it might have.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna986
"It also resembles the aftermarket tuned exhausts you find on eBay where the extra tubing is welded to the muffler body of a used exhaust and routed directly to the exhaust tip."

I've seen these and have wondered about how "good" they are, whatever that means. I guess I'd be worried about the potential for resonance it might have.
Hi,

I hear you, that could be a concern. Of course they differ from the XLF optional Sport Exhaust System in that they're passive - ON all the time.

Whereas the Sport Exhaust System is dynamic and speed-controlled, so you'd likely be above any resonant frequency when they kicked-in.

Since the XLF uses a separate wiring harness, controller, vacuum reservoir(s), associated plumbing, and possibly some DME re-coding, I don't know if it's readily retrofittable. But, one thing's for sure - it wouldn't be cheap...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-30-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #12

If I'm not mistaken, I think it was an almost $1500 option!

wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote