Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #1

8 hours to lower a Boxster

Hi, I'm new here so hello everyone ...

I've been quoted 8hours to lower my Porshce Boxster 2.5 1998

Is this time scale normal or is the garage trying to rip me off ??

mistasmiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #2

I found a good family-operated shop in Richmond, VA. Great folks, and do good work, they lowered my car when they installed my Bilstein PSS9 suspension and alligned the car, total time they billed was less than 6 hours, I think it came to about 550.00. That is less time than I was quoted by other shops.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

From what I understand, the factory service billed hours to replace springs/struts/sway bars is 11 hours.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-13-2007 at 10:20 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #4

Excuse my ignorance but what's so difficult about lowering a Boxster? . is it because it's mid-engined?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistasmiff
Excuse my ignorance but what's so difficult about lowering a Boxster? . is it because it's mid-engined?
Hi,

Being mid-engined has little or nothing to do with it. But the rear suspension must be disassembled (axle hubs, half-shafts, CVs, etc.) and this is where the bulk of the time is spent. 8 Hrs. doesn't seem that unreasonable, I doubt I could do it in that time, even with a lift. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #6

I just put coilovers on my Boxster last weekend. It's lowered about 1 1/2 inches now. I would say that the whole job took right around 8 hours but that was because I was doing everything very slowly and carefully since I have never done it on a Boxster before. I am sure that if I ever have to do it again I could do it the next time in 4 hours or less. Keep in mind though thats for a coilover change. If you are going to be using lowering springs instead than you could easily add an hour or so to change the springs. There really isn't all that much too it provided you have the right tools and have a decent mechanical aptitude. It's not really as difficult as it is intimidating. There is a really great step by step with photos on renntech.org showing how it's done. Do it yourself and save big $$$.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4091

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:53 AM   #7

Ok, I'll accept 8 hours then.. just need to negotiate hourly rate now..

Thanks for that link but i've not aptitude for car mechanics, gonna leave it to the pro's

Thanks.