Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

tiptronic trans

Please do not laugh just yet, but based on my experience I thought I would explore a tiptronic trans for install into my 914-6.
Anybody heard of such a thing? First question is over size of trans, distance from bell housing to axle area, Costs? Is there a better year of tip to look for?

I already know the bolt pattern is different than the stock 911, but it is not off all that much. I do have a 996 tip that I can use to make a pattern for the adapter to bolt 993 engine to water cooled tip. It might make sense since it is mid engine just like the boxster. thanks in advance. Jim

jdorociak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 09:47 PM   #2

A few things I can tell you:

1) You'll need a Boxster tip, not 996 tip due to the engine layout (a 996 tip has a reverse layout as the tranny is in front of the engine.

2) If you can find a tip Boxster to look at, the tranny is right behind the engine and in front of the muffler (the muffler bracket is attached to the back of the tranny). You should be able to measure whatever you need as it's very accessible.

The tip tranny is very compact and should fit into the 914 well. Heck, a friend had a Chevy V8 and Corvette 4 speed dropped in his 914 back in the late 70's and it all fit with only some new mounting points and some exhaust and header customizations.

BrianF1960 is offline   Reply With Quote